(Topic ID: 202211)

Williams Display Segment Resistors

By oldschoolbob

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I had two segments out on my displays for players 3 - 4. I replaced R11 and R12. I replaced them with 10K ohm 1/2 watt carbon film resistors.That fixed the problem. Now (a couple of days later) R11 is burnt out again.

Am I doing something wrong? What is burning them out?

Thanks

Bob

#2 6 years ago

A bad display will do that. You can unplug the displays and plug them in one at a time (machine off when plugging and unplugging) and put you finger on the resistor (but watch out they get hot quick) and figure out which display has the issue. You can switch the bad display to like player 4 or something and leave it unplugged till you get a good replacement. If you have a couple bad displays it may be better and cheaper in the long run to get a whole new set of displays and master. Some people have had trouble with rottendog products but their display sets are great and I have never heard a single bad thing.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks - Those Rottendog displays don't look bad at all. And reasonable.

That may be the way to go.

Thanks

Bob

#4 6 years ago

By the time you have to buy 2 replacement displays the cost is close to a whole new aftermarket set The colors match great and don't need the 100 volt from the power supply.

#5 6 years ago

If the current limiting resistors are burning up i'd imagine the HV driver chip or a display has a problem.

#6 6 years ago

Would reducing the high voltage help?

On PinWiki is says to reduce the voltage you need to change two zener diodes.

GPE has a kit for the high voltage.

Thanks

Bob

#7 6 years ago

Reducing the voltage won't help the resistors burning up. They'll keep burning up until you fix the issue. Travish and barakandl have given you good advice. You either have a shorted display or a bad HV driver chip. In my experience it is usually a shorted display glass.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks stangbat, I didn't want to leave any stone un-turned.

Looks like the LED displays are the way to go. That would eliminate either problem

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

1,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-display-segment-resistors?hl=maxash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.