DSC02280.JPG
DSC02279.JPG
66001-xs.jpg
DSC02277.JPG
DSC02274.JPG
DSC02273.JPG
DSC02272.JPG
DSC02271.JPG
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 9 years ago

I've seen this restoration project in person and the work is superb!

#152 9 years ago

Didn't get much time to work on Diner this weekend, but managed to pretty much finish up the cabinet. Installed new flipper leaf switches and resoldered all connections to the coin door and cabinet switches. Installed all the boards and wires I could and turned her back on. No fires or blown fuses ! Great success ! This week Ill polish up the playfield and begin installing the solenoids and play field wiring harness. Should be finished sometime next week.

IMAG0596.jpgIMAG0596.jpg
IMAG0598.jpgIMAG0598.jpg

#153 9 years ago

Looks GREAT!!!

Chris

#154 9 years ago

Soldered all the solenoids back to the harness and ran a test last night. All are working fine and no magic smoke ! I've decided to attach each harness at a time then test. This makes is easier to detect and diagnose problems as(if) they arise. Tonight I'll reattach the lamps and switches.

Almost forgot. Before I began to repopulate the playfield, I did a test fit in the cabinet to see what it looks like (see below). Can't wait to be finished ! Also, I will be picking up a better camera from here on out. My cell phone pics are garbage .

IMAG0607.jpgIMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0606.jpgIMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0604.jpgIMAG0604.jpg

IMAG0603.jpgIMAG0603.jpg

#155 9 years ago

VERY good work!

Chris

#156 9 years ago

I like you and your fancy pinball machine.

#157 9 years ago

Finally remembered to bring my camera to work. Here are a few better quality shots of the progress so far. Can't believe after 2 years sitting in pieces this thing is almost ready to play again.

DSC02250.JPGDSC02250.JPG
DSC02251.JPGDSC02251.JPG
DSC02252.JPGDSC02252.JPG
DSC02254.JPGDSC02254.JPG
DSC02255.JPGDSC02255.JPG
DSC02256.JPGDSC02256.JPG
DSC02258.JPGDSC02258.JPG
DSC02259.JPGDSC02259.JPG

#158 9 years ago

I can't wait to see the video once you're playing it.
-mof

#159 9 years ago

The playfield has landed. Back insert has a new decal, new cup, new flasher dome, and a repainted jukebox with new deals. Couldn't resist so I played a few games sans ramps. Very interesting . Just waiting on LEDS and a few other parts and I can wrap this thing up. Bottom display is degassed but I think I'll just deal with it for now. Almost there !
DSC02261.JPGDSC02261.JPG
DSC02262.JPGDSC02262.JPG
DSC02263.JPGDSC02263.JPG

#160 9 years ago

Almost there!

#161 9 years ago

More work today in preparation of the final parts shipment and LEDs. Couldn't find them in stock anywhere so I decided to make my own PETG plastic protectors. I made them for all high traffic areas not just the center target and slings like most places sell. Also polished up the apron and printed new score cards. I ditched the blue card in favor of the same free play card I have on my Fish Tales. I like consistency
DSC02271.JPGDSC02271.JPG
DSC02272.JPGDSC02272.JPG
DSC02273.JPGDSC02273.JPG
DSC02274.JPGDSC02274.JPG

#162 9 years ago

Had some stainless steel lying around so I decided to make a right ramp (right side) protector. Came out pretty well. Here it is next to the factory one. Right now I'm working on a new cash register since mine is starting to rust . Will have some photos of it later. Stay tuned.
DSC02277.JPGDSC02277.JPG

#163 9 years ago

Cliffy had similar thoughts:
http://cliffysprotectors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=5&zenid=5pqjmatujuhglf0vikqa6o53v5

Looking forward to seeing your cash register restore. I had always thought a mod that showed the bonuses with a 'ye-olde' pop-up cash register with Extra Ball! as the drawer opening would be fun.
66001-xs.jpg66001-xs.jpg

Anyway, your restore [still] looks great! Nice work!

#164 9 years ago

Had to make some new blue steel flaps since mine were rusted. You can see the ramp protector installed in the second picture. Last thing to do is refinish the cash register. Going to tackle that throughout the week. Connected everything up tonight and running into some problems. I keep blowing a fuse on the left hand GI every time to top out holes fire. Also getting some phantom flashes from a few spots when I hit the flipper buttons. Gotta iron those out.
DSC02279.JPGDSC02279.JPG
DSC02279.JPGDSC02279.JPG

DSC02280.JPGDSC02280.JPG
#165 9 years ago

All finished. Here are some pictures with the glass off. I used pink and purple LEDs in the G.I. and color matched the inserts. Still on the fence whether or not to keep the warm bulbs or switch to cool white for the Guests, food, and DINER inserts. Can't believe after 2 years its finally done. It came out great and plays even better . Thanks for following my thread !
DSC02302.JPGDSC02302.JPG
DSC02296.JPGDSC02296.JPG
DSC02297.JPGDSC02297.JPG
DSC02298.JPGDSC02298.JPG
DSC02299.JPGDSC02299.JPG
DSC02300.JPGDSC02300.JPG
DSC02301.JPGDSC02301.JPG
DSC02303.JPGDSC02303.JPG

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

All finished. Here are some pictures with the glass off. I used pink and purple LEDs in the G.I. and color matched the inserts. Still on the fence whether or not to keep the warm bulbs or switch to cool white for the Guests, food, and DINER inserts. Can't believe after 2 years its finally done. It came out great and plays even better . Thanks for following my thread !

Off-the-charts-sexy.
-mof

#167 9 years ago

Had to make some new blue steel flaps since mine were rusted. You can see the ramp protector installed in the second picture.

DSC02279.JPG 250 KB

DSC02280.JPG 332 KB

Where did you get this? I am needing to redo a couple.

#168 9 years ago

beautiful machine, great work.

#169 9 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the progress photos with us.

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Where did you get this? I am needing to redo a couple.

I bought a sheet from Marco ( http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-FSS006) . Very reasonable as far as cost goes. Wasn't too happy with all the scratches on the surfaces though. I had to position the flaps in a way that the scratches wouldn't be on my new flaps and that the grain went the right way. Ultimately there is a large section of steel that's is unusable since its scratched on both sides. Just make sure you protect the metal if you use a dremel. Heat may damage the blue finish.

#171 9 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful looking game. Might have to get my DP Diner done over like that! Looks great next to the FT!

#172 9 years ago

Your machine turned out great.

Absolutely beautiful.

I might have to do some of the purple and pink LEDs on my Diner.

#173 9 years ago

Wow, awesome job! Looks really good.

#174 9 years ago

Absolutely stunning.

#175 9 years ago

Turned out great!

It looks like a different game with the purple highlights.

#176 9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Yes the purple and pink G.I. lights work really well in this title. The pink makes a real nice color pop without being overly powerful like red or too dull like orange. The purple activates some of the neon orange accents and really makes them glow nicely.

#177 9 years ago

Stunning - honestly like everything with the hard work you did; except for the GI LED color choice. Sorry, just a personal preference, but looks like there was some bad food at the diner, and Pepto was sprayed everywhere But it's your game and you enjoy it so congrats on the 2 year rebuild being complete. I will save these pics should I ever find one; thanks for so many detailed shots!

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

Stunning - honestly like everything with the hard work you did; except for the GI LED color choice. Sorry, just a personal preference, but looks like there was some bad food at the diner, and Pepto was sprayed everywhere But it's your game and you enjoy it so congrats on the 2 year rebuild being complete. I will save these pics should I ever find one; thanks for so many detailed shots!

Haha that's fine. Its strange using my camera it came out more blue/ purple than it is IRL. My phone camera makes it look warmer. In person the colors are very subtle. I would equate the pink leds to warm leds in the same sense that they produce a softer glow. How ever unlike the warm leds which produce a yellowish light, the pink produces a softer light and seems to evenly distribute over the plastics. It's almost a perfect median between warm and blue white leds. Honestly I was mad at first how subtle the pink light was, but it has grown on me.

#179 9 years ago

This is amazing. Would you mind sharing the LEDs and colors you selected? I'm shopping for LEDs and I could use a true artists perspective.

Thanks,
Preston

#180 9 years ago

Also, what did you decide to do about new speakers?

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from pgregg:

This is amazing. Would you mind sharing the LEDs and colors you selected? I'm shopping for LEDs and I could use a true artists perspective.
Thanks,
Preston

I used pink and purple LEDs in the G.I. More pink than purple though. I only used purple in the flippers G.I. and the E-A-T red plastic lamps. All inserts are color matched. White inserts, food drop target bulbs, DINER, and the customers are all warm LEDs. If I had to do it again I think I would purchase some cool white LEDs for those inserts instead. Not really digging the yellow appearance. Also everything is non-ghosting LEDS.

As for new speakers I kept the stock ones. I don't really see the need to invest in new speakers for a system 11 title since the original one were working fine.

1 month later
#182 9 years ago

Now I may loose some of you on this, but hear me out. I know the standard is to make a cabinet super smooth and glossy before applying decals, but since these had a large area of solid black I thought it looked a bit too fake and 'plastic-y' for my liking. So before applying the decals I roughed up all surfaces with a fine sanding sponge going with the natural grain of the wood. Since the decals are rather thin, they pick up the false grain nicely. It's just the right amount of texture and I think turned out pretty nice. It's hard to see in pictures, but here is what the cabinet surface looks like before applying decals.

I just looked at your thread. Beautiful work and attention to detail.

Sorry if this question refers to a older post, but do you have a close up view that shows how the artificial texture you created on the cabinet prior to installing the decals looks with the decals on top? The reason I am asking is that I am prepping a TZ cabinet. I have never done this before so I am a bit paranoiac when it comes to the cabinet preparation. I first tried enamel applied on a roller, but it ended up creating some heavy orange peel that actually magnified all imperfection. I sanded and bondo'd as needed and tried some oil base gloss clear, but it left and even worse texture. I sanded again, and I am now wondering what is the best way to prep the cabinet. I am thinking about some gloss enamel in spray can, but applied a bit further out so it is not really glossy but has an very even egg shell/semi-gloss texture to it.

Thanks.

#183 9 years ago

Had to make some new blue steel flaps since mine were rusted. You can see the ramp protector installed in the second picture. Last thing to do is refinish the cash register. Going to tackle that throughout the week. Connected everything up tonight and running into some problems. I keep blowing a fuse on the left hand GI every time to top out holes fire. Also getting some phantom flashes from a few spots when I hit the flipper buttons. Gotta iron those out.

I cut some flaps out of blue steel for my Monopoly a while back, but they ended up rusting real quick, probably from moisture on my fingers. I should have put something on for protection. I only use stainless now.

7 months later
#184 8 years ago

Anyone know how to get in touch with ArcadiusMaximus? He seems to be taking a break from Pinside. I guess he's playing his Diner!

#185 8 years ago

I didn't get as far as I wanted to this weekend but I started placing the decals on the field. Still a long ways to go but its coming together nicely. I also included a few shots of the cutting system I'm using. That tool has been invaluable as far as accuracy of the cut and time saved. I definitely recommend one for those who make their own playfield decals.
IMAG0504.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMAG0505.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMAG0506.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMAG0507.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Looks great!
I might be blind, but what cutting system are you using?

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Looks great!
I might be blind, but what cutting system are you using?

I could be wrong, but that looks like an older Silhouette Cameo... The current models look a bit different.

1 month later
#187 8 years ago

I know it's been a while, but could go go into a bit more detail about how you used the Cameo to cut your decals? It looks like you printed them up and then fed them into a Cameo afterward. Is that a thing? Am I missing something?

10 months later
#188 8 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

I know it's been a while, but could go go into a bit more detail about how you used the Cameo to cut your decals? It looks like you printed them up and then fed them into a Cameo afterward. Is that a thing? Am I missing something?

Hello,

Sorry its been so long but to answer your question There is a plugin available for adobe illustrator that works in conjunction with the cameo cutter. It cost like $20 or so but it is TOTALLY worth it youll be glad you bought it. Cameos built in path tools and border detection are not accurate enough to produce nice results. In Illustrator there is a cameo tab that allows you to add registration marks to your art work. What I did was made the outer boarder of all my decals 2x larger than it should be. Then I made a vector cut path in the center of the outer boarder. That way when you cut the decal, you don't get any white edges.

Put all your cut paths on a separate layer. Then print your artwork out using a color printer. Make sure print registration marks is on. Once its done you load the paper into the Cameo. When you export to the cameo, you choose to export on the cut path layer only and align registration marks. The cameo with can the paper and align the cutting head and feed to the marks. Then hit go and watch the magic. Its super easy !

1 month later
#189 7 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering how the KBS clear coat you used is holding up. I have been thinking about giving it a try. Do you still like it, and would you do it again on another restore?

2 years later
#190 5 years ago

ArcadiusMaximus Yes I am curious how the clear held up and the large waterslides. Notice any lifting or issues with such large waterslides?

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

ArcadiusMaximus Yes I am curious how the clear held up and the large waterslides. Notice any lifting or issues with such large waterslides?

Hey there. Nope. All clear at water slide decals is fine. I do have some ghosting at ball drops (assuming impact), but other than that its held up pretty well. The one thing I did was I think I cut and polished a little too early. The field is pretty shiny, but there is a slight haze to it. Maybe I put too many layers on. Not really sure. Had I done it again I would have waited a month or 2 before reassembly.

#192 5 years ago

Hey there. Nope. All clear at water slide decals is fine. I do have some ghosting at ball drops (assuming impact), but other than that its held up pretty well. The one thing I did was I think I cut and polished a little too early. The field is pretty shiny, but there is a slight haze to it. Maybe I put too many layers on. Not really sure. Had I done it again I would have waited a month or 2 before reassembly.

Ghosting between inserts and clear on ball drops or not over inserts at balldrop spots?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.50
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-diner-restoration/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.