DSC02280.JPG
DSC02279.JPG
66001-xs.jpg
DSC02277.JPG
DSC02274.JPG
DSC02273.JPG
DSC02272.JPG
DSC02271.JPG
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from PotWasher:

Have you considered/tested engraved insert text? It may not be original, but it could have an interesting look back- or side-lit, and it sounds like the tools are capable.
Although wise to not distribute copyrighted work, it's a real shame that everybody has to 'reinvent the wheel' here. Diner's art is difficult to touch-up (orange is considered the hardest color to match), and the decals and whatnot available are clearly inferior to the original.
I'm both blue in the face from waiting for CPR, and now green with envy for your 'until CPR' efforts. Will you sell your 'good enough' efforts once CPR's is printed? If so, make the announcement, and I can check you every day too!

Diner art is pretty tough. Lots and lots of little details and halftones to reproduce. Not as tough as some of the newer fields, but it is challenging. After basically redrawing the entire field I understand why the art package is taking some time to finish.

The decals I made match the field pretty well. I printed a set of pantone color swatches then matched the playfield colors best I could to my printer specs. I will agree that orange is almost impossible to match using this process. But the only big orange area is under the pop bumper skirts. So it's kind of covered.

I haven't decided yet but I was debating selling the touched up field to offset some of the cost for a new CPR one. Having the original field doesn't really matter much to me so I wouldn't mind parting with this one if the time comes.

#102 9 years ago

Orange and blues are almost always spot colors when printed commercially. I couldn't get much more than an orangish brown printing CMYK. And while Photoshop easily created spot color layers, I couldn't find an inexpensive printing option. Have you gone this route?
Between matching colors, and seeing how it printed, I found trial-and-error my best technique and was hesitant to increase the cost of testing. The learning curve seemed about endless, so I set it all aside.
Thank you and I encourage you to continue sharing anything you've learned. (RGB colors maybe please? )

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from PotWasher:

Orange and blues are almost always spot colors when printed commercially. I couldn't get much more than an orangish brown printing CMYK. And while Photoshop easily created spot color layers, I couldn't find an inexpensive printing option. Have you gone this route?
Between matching colors, and seeing how it printed, I found trial-and-error my best technique and was hesitant to increase the cost of testing. The learning curve seemed about endless, so I set it all aside.
Thank you and I encourage you to continue sharing anything you've learned. (RGB colors maybe please? )

I've always struggled to match onscreen colors with printing. I don't know much about properly configuring a printer. I went to my printers website and was able to download Pantone color swatches ( about 13 sheets) I opened each sheet in Illustrator and printed them out. I printed via illustrator because I was getting different colors printing through windows. So I figured I'd print the swatches using the same method I would print the decals with so colors would be similar.

Once the swatches were printed I trimmed them right to the edge of color using an exacto knife. This way I could put them swatch right to the color I was trying to match. I was able to get pretty damn close on yellow, red, blue, green, and purple. Greys and oranges were a bit tough so I had to settle with the best I could. You'll very rarely get an exact match using Pantone colors.

#104 9 years ago

Amazing work

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

I've always struggled to match onscreen colors with printing. I don't know much about properly configuring a printer. I went to my printers website and was able to download Pantone color swatches ( about 13 sheets) I opened each sheet in Illustrator and printed them out. I printed via illustrator because I was getting different colors printing through windows. So I figured I'd print the swatches using the same method I would print the decals with so colors would be similar.
Once the swatches were printed I trimmed them right to the edge of color using an exacto knife. This way I could put them swatch right to the color I was trying to match. I was able to get pretty damn close on yellow, red, blue, green, and purple. Greys and oranges were a bit tough so I had to settle with the best I could. You'll very rarely get an exact match using Pantone colors.

You can make your own swatches for the colors you are working with. Just create a range of the colors that are "near" what you are looking for in the tool you are using, number them, then print out and compare to that you are going for. When you find the match, reference your number and paint with that shade back in Illustrator. It may look different in Illustrator, but you know it will match after printing that way.

Mac

#106 9 years ago

I didn't get as far as I wanted to this weekend but I started placing the decals on the field. Still a long ways to go but its coming together nicely. I also included a few shots of the cutting system I'm using. That tool has been invaluable as far as accuracy of the cut and time saved. I definitely recommend one for those who make their own playfield decals.

IMAG0504.jpgIMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0505.jpgIMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0506.jpgIMAG0506.jpg

IMAG0507.jpgIMAG0507.jpg

#107 9 years ago

the amount of effort you are putting into this is amazing. nice job

#108 9 years ago

Very nice work !

Thanks for posting.

#110 9 years ago

Really nice work!

What printer are you using for the color decals?

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Really nice work!
What printer are you using for the color decals?

I'm using a Xerox 6010n LED Laser printer. Colors come out really vibrant and pretty accurate. Thanks everyone for the kind words !

~ John

#112 9 years ago

those files look great. Wish I had them. I only have scans of C.A.'s files and his don't line up for shit.

#113 9 years ago

Most of the large decals are now on the field. I tried placing the individual letters tonight, but it's going to take way to long to do. So I decided to break down and buy the insert decal sheet from Bay Area Amusements. Not really what I want to do but seems to be the ideal situation at this point. Sorry my phone camera takes lousy pictures. Just to summarize below are the areas that are covered in a decal:

'Top 5' entrance way black lines
EAT roll-over switch area
The grill
Lower Bubble ramp
Checkered ramp area
Center food drop target area
Left Food drop target area
DINER Lights
Diner guests
Center Diner guest w/ waitress
Left and right Inlane art
Left and right 'Extra Ball' quarter.

I still need to apply the top bubble ramp with the spinner insert frame. Hopefully the decals get here in a few days so I can clear the field over the weekend. Thanks !
IMAG0514.jpgIMAG0514.jpg
IMAG0516.jpgIMAG0516.jpg
IMAG0519.jpgIMAG0519.jpg

#114 9 years ago

Great machine , and cool job !

Thanks for this post

#115 9 years ago

those look amazing!

Chris

#116 9 years ago

Decals are finally done ! Hope to clear the field this weekend weather permiting. Its been awfully rainy and humid all week. More to come .

IMAG0521.jpgIMAG0521.jpg
IMAG0522.jpgIMAG0522.jpg

#117 9 years ago

that's really good light distribution. Looks spot on.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's really good light distribution. Looks spot on.

Yea I was a bit worried with the DINER and Guest inserts because they seemed a bit washed out to me in certain lighting conditions. After looking at some photos online of the field all lit up, they look pretty similar to the original.

#119 9 years ago

Amazing work. You're going to have an amazing Diner!

Marc

#120 9 years ago

Decals are finally done ! Hope to clear the field this weekend weather permiting. Its been awfully rainy and humid all week. More to come .

Humidity was down last night. Supposed to stay away for at least today. Any chance you can clear it tonight? Can't wait to play this!

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Humidity was down last night. Supposed to stay away for at least today. Any chance you can clear it tonight? Can't wait to play this!

I debated this on the drive into work. I may spray late tonight around 9-10pm when things have cooled off some. Its a 3-4 hour process depending on cure times and layers I want to do. So it would make for a long night.

#122 9 years ago

if you want it automotive clearcoated, I can do it for you. Turnaround time for just clearcoating is 1 week. I hope you prepped the field properly by scuffing the whole thing before doing the touchups and what not. Didn't see the clearcoating prep phase before.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you want it automotive clearcoated, I can do it for you. Turnaround time for just clearcoating is 1 week. I hope you prepped the field properly by scuffing the whole thing before doing the touchups and what not. Didn't see the clearcoating prep phase before.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have everything ready to go. Before I did the decal layer I sanded the field with 400 grit paper. So it goes Clear > Airbrush and touch ups > Clear > Decals > Final clear. I really just need to clean of any left over water residue and I should be good to go. I have it wrapped in plastic atm to keep dust to a minimum until I'm ready to clean.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

doing autoclear or varathane?

I decided to try this out ( http://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html ). I came across some pretty good results on another forum. I like the fact that it is one step. So far I'm pretty happy with the results I've been getting.

#126 9 years ago

Here's a better shot of the field as it is now. Tomorrow is D-day. Its been a very very VERY long road to get to this point.

IMAG0523.jpgIMAG0523.jpg
#127 9 years ago

Really nice work

#128 9 years ago

I really like my Diner.

This is the 3rd one I've owned.

I can't believe the work you're putting into this.

You're machine is looking awesome.

Please continue with the updates.

#129 9 years ago

looks like interesting stuff. Curious on how well it holds up over time and with a ball rolling around on it.

1 week later
#130 9 years ago

Clear coat is done. Directions say it can be sanded after 24hrs, but I'm going to let it cure for a few days before wet sanding. Pretty smooth finish with minor defects that should buff out nicely.

IMAG0530.jpgIMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0532.jpgIMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0531.jpgIMAG0531.jpg

#131 9 years ago

Beautiful. Very impressive work.

Steve

#133 9 years ago

Looks great! Makes me want some fries.

#134 9 years ago

Those are the ones I drew . I figured I went through all the work to redraw the sides it would be a shame for them to go to waste. So I contacted PPS and sent them my files.

#135 9 years ago

Those are the ones I drew . I figured I went through all the work to redraw the sides it would be a shame for them to go to waste. So I contacted PPS and sent them my files.

There will be a lot of happy people because of it.

#136 9 years ago

Looks great!!!! I admire your attention to detail!

#137 9 years ago

Ive have been working on getting the cabinet finished up while the playfield clear coat settles. I finally finished the Cabinet side art and printed it out. Ended up going with a luster finish as flat was too dull and glossy looked to shiny. Before you say PPS now sells the decals now I know, I drew them. It was suppose to be a quick turn around to receive my set from them that turned into a few months sitting and waiting ( I'm guessing MMr is taking up a lot of resources). I wanted to finish the cabinet around the same time the playfield was ready so I decided to print them them myself. OF COURSE as soon as I did, the damn decals show up in the store that following Monday. I knew it was going to happen so I wasn't surprised.

The cabinet had been sitting for about a month and when I came back to it this week I noticed some grain raise in spots . So I had to take the cabinet back out into the shop, sand it down, reprimer the bad spots, and sand smooth. I decided to do a few layer of clear over the paint this time to hopefully keep moisture out. Had I know I was going to do a full cabinet side and not just the strip on top of black paint, I would have just sanded the cabinet, patched it, cleared it and been done with it. Oh well now I know.

I'm glad I took the time to fix the problem rather than just decal over it. I will keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks before placing the decals to make sure the problem doesn't come back.You can see the fixed areas in the pictures below. I'm using a special vinyl that has a grey adhesive backing as opposed to white. This will keep the areas that are no longer black from standing out once the decal is applied.
IMAG0546.jpgIMAG0546.jpg
IMAG0547.jpgIMAG0547.jpg
IMAG0545.jpgIMAG0545.jpg

#138 9 years ago

Thanks for the updates!

#139 9 years ago

Awesome job! I was wondering where did you purchase the vinyl from? Is it the thin stuff like what PPS prints on? Also, what method did you use to print the decals yourself (ie. what kind of printer)? Keep up the great work.

#140 9 years ago

MAGICAL STUFFS HERE!!!!!!!!!!

#141 9 years ago

Still chugging along here. Finally have all my parts laid out in my assembly room at work.
IMAG0576.jpgIMAG0576.jpg

Did some work on the cabinet today including attaching the back box to the cabinet, polishing and installing the side rails, attaching the coin door, and cutting away the decal for the metal leg protectors. Some of the paint came off when i peeled away the decal, so I had to paint the areas where the brackets install. Should be able to attach the legs in a day or two.
IMAG0583.jpgIMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0584.jpgIMAG0584.jpg
IMAG0586.jpgIMAG0586.jpg
IMAG0587.jpgIMAG0587.jpg
IMAG0585.jpgIMAG0585.jpg

#142 9 years ago

You are really doing a great job on this Diner.

I wish mine looked that good.

Please continue the updates.

The machine looks great!!!

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from kungfucop:

Awesome job! I was wondering where did you purchase the vinyl from? Is it the thin stuff like what PPS prints on? Also, what method did you use to print the decals yourself (ie. what kind of printer)? Keep up the great work.

I was going to ask the same question! Looks amazing.

#144 9 years ago

Now I may loose some of you on this, but hear me out. I know the standard is to make a cabinet super smooth and glossy before applying decals, but since these had a large area of solid black I thought it looked a bit too fake and 'plastic-y' for my liking. So before applying the decals I roughed up all surfaces with a fine sanding sponge going with the natural grain of the wood. Since the decals are rather thin, they pick up the false grain nicely. It's just the right amount of texture and I think turned out pretty nice. It's hard to see in pictures, but here is what the cabinet surface looks like before applying decals.

IMAG0555.jpgIMAG0555.jpg

#145 9 years ago

Nice touch, it's all about the details ...

#146 9 years ago

Scan the Playfield send to cpr

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Scan the Playfield send to cpr

They already have an artist working on it.

#148 9 years ago

I think you were wise to sand it down first. Sanding it will allow the adhesive on the decal to grab and hold better IMO.

I did the same to my RFM. I'm still waiting on the decals to get here though.

Anyway, it's looking fantastic. GL the rest of the way and thumbs up for restoring a great game back to its full glory.

#149 9 years ago

before applying the decals I roughed up all surfaces with a fine sanding sponge going with the natural grain of the wood.

After you sand, what do you use to get all the painted dust off?
-mof

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

After you sand, what do you use to get all the painted dust off?
-mof

Just cleaned it a few times with windex and a rag.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-diner-restoration/page/3?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.