Williams Score Reel PC board (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Daffie High Score (resized).jpg
daf1 (resized).jpg
daf2 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

One more issue with my Daffie I'm getting around to and hope someone can help. It is not awarding extra balls when I reach high score thresholds set by the plugs. I have tried multiple high score settings and nothing seems to work. The plugs are clean and fully in their slots.

The game is set to regular/AAB play and DOES award specials for other plug-set awards like gate, automatic X, and bottom lane X.

Any idea how to track this down? I'm not sure how to interpret the schematics in this case. Does anything look off in these pics?

Thank you!

daf1 (resized).jpgdaf1 (resized).jpgdaf2 (resized).jpgdaf2 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2 2 years ago

If none of the high score values are working I'd check the two switches in the red box at the start of the high score circuit.
Daffie High Score (resized).jpgDaffie High Score (resized).jpg
/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Thanks, Mark, much appreciated.

I checked the Reset Relay, specifically the G/O wire in the MOB switch in that stack - it is normally closed in the MOB and opens properly when the coil fires. I cleaned all the switches with a flexstone for good measure.

Getting to the 10,000 drum unit EOS switch is a challenge - looks like I will have to remove the whole score reel assembly to get a look and a hand in there? Am I reading the schematic correctly, that the 10,000 EOS should be normally open?

One other odd thing I noticed - the 10,000 drum top contact panel that receives the wires from the High Score Adj Jack has the Grey-Red wire in the middle of the High Score wires (between White and Brown) rather than on the end as the schematic seems to indicate. Is this typical?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Getting to the 10,000 drum unit EOS switch is a challenge - looks like I will have to remove the whole score reel assembly to get a look and a hand in there? Am I reading the schematic correctly, that the 10,000 EOS should be normally open?

If you have a meter you can check the switch anywhere along the two wires it connects. For example if you clip your meter to the jones plugs at the high score adjustment and to the green-orange wire on the Reset relay you should be able to check the switch by manually activating the score reel. Be sure to remove the two jones plugs on the grey-white wire to disconnect all other circuit paths but then you should be able to see the resistance or continuity change across the switch as you activate the score reel. The EOS switch should be normally open. When the 10k point score reel fires the EOS switch closes briefly to send a pulse through the high score circuit and ultimately to the ball count unit step up solenoid.

Quoted from westofrome:

the 10,000 drum top contact panel that receives the wires from the High Score Adj Jack has the Grey-Red wire in the middle of the High Score wires (between White and Brown) rather than on the end as the schematic seems to indicate. Is this typical?

The schematic is a logical, not a physical representation of the circuit. So you can't assume that the solder lugs are in the same order as the schematic. In fact (as shown at https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/nwbm/#p=18) the common is in the middle of the edge contacts:
Williams Score Reel PC board (resized).jpgWilliams Score Reel PC board (resized).jpg
If the schematic were drawn with the contacts in order the common would be in the middle and the zero would be on the right side which would make it a little harder to follow.

#5 2 years ago

Thanks again!

I was able to adjust the EOS switch so that it closes when I manually activate the score reel (confirmed with multimeter clipped to both lugs of the EOS, buzzed when the score reel is activated).

I then confirmed continuity all the way from the Green/Orange lug in the Reset Relay (closed normally) to the grey/white jones plug (unplugged) - buzzed when the score reel is activated).

I then plugged in the plug to the 20,000 (red wire) jones slot and confirmed continuity to the red lug on the top of the 10,000 panel as well.

I figured the EOS adjustment would solve it, but it has not. I am still not able to get added balls when hitting the score thresholds. Where do I go from here?

#6 2 years ago

Keep checking more of the circuit the same way. If you change the adjustment on the right from "Regular Play" to "5 Balls No Extra Ball" you eliminate all the paths parallel to the high score circuit. Then you can check all the way from the Reset relay switch to the grey-red wire using your meter.

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sing-along-odd-replay-award-issue#post-6664862 for more background.

#7 2 years ago

Thank you. I tested continuity between the common solder bulb and the red solder bulb on the top of the 10,000 drum unit with the reel set at 2 and there is no buzz (I also tested other reel locations with common/red just in case, as well as blue with 3, etc. - same result). Prior to testing, I started a new game and then turned off power, with all reels set to 0.

Am I accurate that this combination should produce continuity, and lack of it indicates an issue with the adjustment or contact of the finger inside the 10,000 drum unit? If so, I'd appreciate any resources on disassembling this type of score reel to investigate.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 2 years ago

Before taking anything apart I'd do some more experiments. You get no connectivity between red and common in any score reel position? What about common and other solder lugs? What about other score reels? You should figure out what a good working connection looks like before concluding that you have no connection. Once you can demonstrate the difference between a working and non working scenario then move onto the next step.

If you google around for score reel disassembly you'll probably find some instructions here or on pinrepair.com or pinwiki.com.

#9 2 years ago

Problem solved. Turned out the wiper contact was not making a connection to the board traces all around. Disassembled, cleaned, adjusted the wiper, and got it back together and scoring extra balls on the score thresholds perfectly now. Thanks for your help in getting me going.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-daffie-not-awarding-high-score-specials and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.