You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1198 (resized).JPG
IMG_1196 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
IMG_1174 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kickout.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I posted this earlier, been working on two different pins, a Williams Cyclone and a Gottlieb Extra Ining. So here is a correct plea for help.

Well I just got around to checking out the Williams Cyclone I picked up last week. The prior owner said it lite up put would not play. The first thing i did was remove the old battery hold and replaced it with a new external holder. Checked all the fuses they tested good. Check all connections and looked for any damage on the boards and circuits. Everything looked go so I plugged it in. Turned it on and began the tests procedure. That's where the problem showed. The message read "U25 RAM Failure".
Reading up on this, it appears the U25 RAM is bad. I would like to replace it with a socket ram. Has anyone replaced a U25 with a 6264 NVRAM Module. Read where you won"t need the batteries if you use this. Comments and suggestions need. Should I send it out for repair, or try doing it myself? If I send it out, who does good board repairs.

Kickout

IMG_1174 (resized).JPGIMG_1174 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Will do in the morning.

#4 6 years ago

Checked the power supply at 1J17 on the CPU. Got good readings on the three +5 volts, but got some crazy readings on the + and - 12 vaults on pins 8 and 9. Any ideas where I should start?

#6 6 years ago

Checking voltage on the PSB I get the following.

Coming into PBS at test points , 12, G, 12

At 3J6 Pin 6- 14.02, Pin 7- 5.01, Pin 8- 5.05 and Pin 9- 5.06

On PCU at 1J17 Pin 4- 5.01, Pin 5- 5.05, Pin 6- 5.06, Pin 8- 14.02 and Pin 9- 13.02

On PCU at TPI 5.01

These all appear in order. Any idea what else I should be looking at now.

#7 6 years ago

Bump

#9 6 years ago

Attached is a pic of the remote battery attachment. The red wire from the holder is attached to the + and the black is attached to the -.

Took voltage reading from the batteries first battery closest to the red lead 4.67, middle battery 3.33 and battery closest to negative point 1.66 volts. Reading Repairing Williams System 11 Pinball 1986 to 1990, Part Three, says the readings should be just the opposite, 1.66 first 4.67 last. Am I misreading this?

Checked D2 diode getting 3.07 and 3.15 volts.

Checked voltage at U25 pin 24 and got a reading of 4.27 volts

Checked D2 for diode test and got a reading of 1.0 on either end.

Am I correct in thinking that D2 is bad and should be replaced, and not replace U25 as first thought?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Tested Following instructions from

Repairing Williams System 11 Pinball
1986 to 1990, Part Three
by [email protected], 04/21/02.

Checked D2 with DMM set to DC voltage test, game off, black lead to ground strap

Checked U25 pin 24, with DMM set to DC voltage game off, black lead to ground strap

Checked D2 with DMM set to diode test, black lead to ground strap, game off.

Just wanted to say thanks for all replays to date, keep them coming, it's the only way to learn.

#14 6 years ago

Well I guess I have to bite the bullet and start looking for a replacement board. Any ideas where and what I should replace it with?

Kickout

#16 6 years ago

With the battery damage Wdennie pointed out, I'm not sure I have the ability to fix that damage. How hard is it to repair battery damage?

#17 6 years ago

Grumpy

I took the main board out and did a cleaning of the battery acid, cleaned all pins. Put the board back in and to my surprise the game starts goes into attract mode. Put a coin in game starts but only partially plays. Flippers work, ferries wheel works, drop targets and bumpers do not. When into test mode everthing appeared to work. At this time I am leaning more to getting the board repaired. What are your thoughts.

Kickout

#20 6 years ago

Grumpy,

Here are pics of the front and back of the board. I can start a game but get no scoring. Thinking of replacing U25 and maybe U42. Take a look and see what you think.

IMG_1196 (resized).JPGIMG_1196 (resized).JPG

IMG_1198 (resized).JPGIMG_1198 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

Grumpy,

Thanks for the advise. I will start looking for another board. I'll keep the old board for any good salvageable parts. Anyone got a board they might want to sell?

Kickout

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kickout.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-cyclone-u25-help-needed?tu=Kickout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.