9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ELK924_full.jpg
cyclone gi.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from minimunky:

can anyone shed any light on what the correct wiring layout should be?

The yellow and purple wires are the wiring to the GI They should both be going through different sides of a DPDT 24v relay with the relay poles breaking the yellow side and the purple side, each wires to their respective Normally Closed and common points on the relay

There should be another set of wires for the relay coil, one is +24 and one is Switched ground via a transistor.

In High speed these relays came as standard automotive relays (from the auto parts store, just make sure they are 24V.) Williams switched to the snubber board layout soon after, but if you can't get the snubber board and the molex connectors, then the standard 24v DPDT relay will work.

The way it's wired now will work until the connector fails since it's combining the two GI lines onto one connector, which was already too small for the current pulled for each separate wire. With them combined as they are, there is probably over 10A being switched on that molex (hence the blackened state).

You can wire the yellow to yellow and purple to purple until you get the relay, and at least the GI will be on all the time. Then when you get the relay just wire it into the break in the yellow and purple wires.

I'm actually using a board like the one pictured as a replacement, since I had a bunch laying around from other work.

ELK924_full.jpgELK924_full.jpg

If your looking for the original part it's Williams # C-11998-1 or C-11902-1. Many for sale are new, non-accurate reproductions (they work just fine, but if you want 100% original these don't match).

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from minimunky:

apologies, this is all brand new to me! I think I understand though...
so assuming I can repair or replace the GI board the current wiring set-up will work, but is not ideal, a better alternative would be to wire it up as follows:
yellow-purple-no pin-yellow-purple
that way less current is being drawn through a single pin.
I'll be looking to replace the normal lamps with LED bulbs which I guess should help to prevent such a thing happening again?
thanks for your help guys, much appreciated! I'm looking forward to learning how all this stuff works

you don't want to hook it back up through a relay like it is again, or else it will just burn up the next relay board.

The correct wiring is 1 purple form power supply , 2 yellow from power supply, key, 4 purple to lamps, 5 yellow to lamps. with one starting on the right when the connector is on the bottom.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-cyclone-gi-relay-wiring-1?tu=themadman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.