Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180315_102128 (resized).jpg
DSCN5732 (resized).JPG
DSCN5733 (resized).JPG
Coquette (resized).jpg
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Machine was working other than small glitches like 100 counter missing once in a while.
Now on power up it will usually allow 1 play only (not second player) and when that game is over it will not allow another play regardless of credit wheel setting.
AFter the game is played, the only way to restart is to hit the kick off switch on the bottom which powers down the machine. Then hitting the start will do a full reset, and let you play 1 player game, but again, not 2 and not after the 5 balls are used.
No blown fuses. tried it in both free play and with credits on wheel.
All contacts in lower cabinet have been cleaned and tested for make/break contact.
This game is scheduled to go to TPF, so we are in a bit of a panic to get it going by Thursday to load.

#2 6 years ago

Do you have a scanned schematic you can post?

#3 6 years ago

No I do not.

#4 6 years ago

Here is part of a schematic I was able to find. It does include the reset, so it might help.

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Is the circled sw. a backbox option thing (can't remember what they're called)? If so, what for and is it making good contact? Please scan and post the rest of the schematic, too.

Coquette (resized).jpgCoquette (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

That bit of the schematic is all I have. It's a sample from somone selling it online.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Is the circled sw. a backbox option thing

from my post.

#8 6 years ago

Looking for it now.

#9 6 years ago

I am unable to find that part. The text is so hard to read, I'm not sure I'm looking correctly.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jimdanforth:

That bit of the schematic is all I have. It's a sample from somone selling it online.

Why are you fixing somebody else's machine without a schematic?

Quoted from jimdanforth:

All contacts in lower cabinet have been cleaned and tested for make/break contact.

That was a mistake. This forum is filled with posts from people who tried an overhaul and broke more than they might have fixed.

What to do instead: Slowly and methodically diagnose one problem at a time until you identify its cause and then fix that one thing. Later when you're an expert you can use the overhaul approach because you'll know how to diagnose all the things that approach breaks.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Why are you fixing somebody else's machine without a schematic?

The machine is ours, not somebody else's and we don't have a full schematic.

Quoted from HowardR:

That was a mistake. This forum is filled with posts from people who tried an overhaul and broke more than they might have fixed.
What to do instead: Slowly and methodically diagnose one problem at a time until you identify its cause and then fix that one thing. Later when you're an expert you can use the overhaul approach because you'll know how to diagnose all the things that approach breaks.

We had quite a few contacts that we not working properly (we tested and sometimes they worked and sometimes the didn't as they were very dirty), so we cleaned the contacts thinking they might be the problem, then we tested after they were cleaned to make sure we didn't create anymore problems.

We do not have a full schematic for this machine as we are relative newcomers to pinball repair.

Any ideas on possible help would be great, we have diagnosed down to the start button not tripping a reset relay, we have multiple ways to make the machine work but don't want to jury rig something when we could fix it the right way.

Jim and Corban Danforth

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from jimdanforth:

we have diagnosed down to the start button not tripping a reset relay

Well first the game has to have credits and how it determines that is a switch on the credit unit that only opens when there are zero credits. If it is dirty or not fully closed it will not always start a game or add a player. There are also those jones plugs between the head and the cabinet to check.

If it will always start for one player but not add players that is a different problem probably related to the game relay or second coin relay.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well first the game has to have credits and how it determines that is a switch on the credit unit that only opens when there are zero credits. If it is dirty or not fully closed it will not always start a game or add a player. There are also those jones plugs between the head and the cabinet to check.
If it will always start for one player but not add players that is a different problem probably related to the game relay or second coin relay.

The credit wheel is working properly, we've tested those switches as they were our first suspect. I have re seated the 3 plugs in the back, and i'm trying to find my volt meter to check them for continuity.

It will only play ( one player or two) after a reset, suck as the slam switch on the bottom or total power down. There is a relay in the back of the machine on the bottom marked coin relay, if i throw that relay it allows me one game and if i throw it again i can play two player, so i suspect whatever is supposed to trip that relay is not working. I'm not very good at reading schematics so i cant trace my power all the way back to the start switch. What relays or switches should i be on the look out for?

Thanks Corban D

#14 6 years ago

Edit-see next post

#15 6 years ago

It's got to go thru a switch on the lock relay on first startup.

Replay button, switch on credit unit, switch on lock relay, to activate coin relay.

Edit- see next post.

#16 6 years ago

It only goes thru the switch on the lock relay at first startup, after that that switch is open and goes thru a normally closed (not energized/tripped) switch on the

START TRIP RELAY.

#17 6 years ago

Ok so after i've played my first game should the lock relay release? i've founds all the relays except for

Quoted from o-din:START TRIP RELAY.
i think i'm understanding how its all coming together now.

Quoted from o-din:

It's got to go thru a switch on the lock relay on first startup.

Replay button, switch on credit unit, switch on lock relay, to activate coin relay.

So after my first game it does that sequence except not the switch lock relay?

thanks

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from jimdanforth:

Ok so after i've played my first game should the lock relay release?

No, the lock relay stays energized to keep the power on.

Quoted from jimdanforth:

So after my first game it does that sequence except not the switch lock relay?

Yes. After startup the circuit will have to go thru that normally closed switch on the start trip relay. Probably dirty, open or maybe a wire off.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, the lock relay stays energized to keep the power on.

Ok, mine is staying open.

Quoted from o-din:

Yes. After startup the circuit will have to go thru that normally closed switch on the start trip relay. Probably dirty, open or maybe a wire off.

I'll clean it, anything else i should look for?

#20 6 years ago

Did you find the start trip relay? Check all the switches on that and make sure they are all opening and closing with proper tension. Also look for a loose wire. The switch you are looking for is normally closed (relay not energized/tripped).

Again that relay should not be energized/tripped before you push the button. It energizes/trips further on in the sequence.

#21 6 years ago

Start trip relay is staying on and power is flowing thru the contacts, ill check for broken wires now.

Thanks

Edit- pinside wont let me post anything else because i've made to many posts...

My mistake on the start trip, i meant to say lock relay. i have not found the statr trip yet, is it on the bottom or in the back?

thanks

Edit- ok i think i know which one your talking about, i'll check on it and clean it tomorrow.

#22 6 years ago

Edit -

#23 6 years ago
#24 6 years ago
Quoted from jimdanforth:

Edit- pinside wont let me post anything else because i've made to many posts...
My mistake on the start trip, i meant to say lock relay. i have not found the statr trip yet, is it on the bottom or in the back?

Start trip is located on the long bank of relays that is reset all together by a bar and a large solenoid. Probably bottom right side of the cabinet. Sometimes it hangs under the play field. On my Serenade I am looking at now it is the bottom right of the cabinet, second relay from the back.

If that bank is not reseting at all when you start any game that is a whole nuther problem. But sounds like it is resetting. If not, that large solenoid may have it's own fuse or is not getting energized thru it's own series of switches.

#25 6 years ago

Since you can no longer post for now, I will tell you it is one of the top two switches on that relay, probably the front one.

I just went thru the whole startup sequence on Serenade with game already on. Push button, coin relay energizes, then start trip relay trips, score motor turns, relay bank resets all trip relays. Push button to add player, second coin relay trips.

Trip relays do just that. They trip and then get latched on reset.

#26 6 years ago

Ok, so after some work we got the start button to work but the giant relay that resets all the trip relays is never firing. What triggers it?

Tia corban

#27 6 years ago

Looking at your schematic there is a 2 amp slo blo fuse in line to that relay, and what fires it is a circuit that goes thru a normally closed switch on the reset relay and a normally open switch that closes on the start relay (not start trip relay), and one switch in the #4 stack on the middle cam wheel on the score motor which will close when it turns.

#28 6 years ago

I will add if that start relay is not energizing, that is fired thru another switch on the start trip relay that closes once it trips.

#29 6 years ago

All Fuses checked. 4 just inside machine, and 1 slo blow by reset bar

This is Jim, Corban's Dad. Editing this post so I don't use up my 24 hr limit.
I checked volatge at the large solenoid. It idles at 3 or so Volts. I can trip that relay in the top left, and it will breifly see higher voltages (digital meter doesn't settle).
So I'm suspicious that coil/solenoid is dead. What resistance should I see across the terminals?

#30 6 years ago

I'm going to fire my internet company, at+t, because that's the slowest loading, buffering 30 second video ever. It won't even give me 10 seconds of it, but I can see the score motor turns.

I hate to say paralysis by analysis, but have you checked that fuse to the reset bar coil?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from jimdanforth:

All Fuses checked. 4 just inside machine, and 1 slo blow by reset bar

Good. Never put a fuse in that extra spot or it will blow two of them. That is for high tap. Not to worry about now.

Quoted from jimdanforth:

What resistance should I see across the terminals?

Mine reads about 10 ohms. And that relay runs off pre transformer 110 volt line voltage.

These are the two switches that fire that coil on my Serenade. Should be the same or very close. The start relay energizes after the start trip relay trips. Then the score motor turns and closes that switch. Your symptoms are similar to when I hold the switch on the start relay open. Start relay is on the bottom of the cabinet. Also goes thru one switch on the reset relay that will be closed and not energized.

DSCN5733 (resized).JPGDSCN5733 (resized).JPG
DSCN5732 (resized).JPGDSCN5732 (resized).JPG

#32 6 years ago

Definately getting 110V to that fuse when tripped, and no response from solenoid. I'm thinking it's getting power, but maybe no ground?

9.2ohms btw

#33 6 years ago

Ground ties to the coin relay and the 25 cent relay. Those are the only other two that run off 110. Also ties in directly to the wall cord and transformer.

Except with AC ground probably isn't what we should call it.

#34 6 years ago

Had to sleep on it. After chasing the big reset solenoid, I wanted to start fresh since today is our last chance before loading for the trip in the morning.
So here's my current results:
Plug in machine. No change.
Verify machine in free play, or has credit.
press start button. It wakes up, fires top relay in pic, and wheel keeps spinning but does not reset the large solenoid .
Manually cycle the lower relay shown in the pic, and the large solenoid fires, and game play is normal until all balls are used.

So.. whatever tells that lower relay to fire is not responding.

20180315_102128 (resized).jpg20180315_102128 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

WE found it!!!! One of the leaves on the big bar was under the little bar instead of over. Then we broke the glass! On my way to town for new glass

#36 6 years ago

One thing after another...... congrats!

I was about to say you are so close.....

#37 6 years ago

It was insanely close. Machine is going even if I have to put an acrylic top on for the weekend.
I thank you for your help. You have been a tremendous resource.

#38 6 years ago

Hey I'm just glad you got it going. Glad to help! I get some satisfaction on my end too. And learn a bit more in the process.

You can probably pick up a piece of glass at the show.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-coquette-will-not-reset-or-start?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.