(Topic ID: 168637)

Williams Contact - Problem with sound theme!

By mflemmin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DennisT
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180512_221314 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
20161001_081226 (resized).jpg
916b8643e958e266f62dc6457af2e9765b7f7a36[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from mflemmin:

I have tried with the ROM which was in the game when I bought it. I think this is original as it has a label saying SOUND1,
and I have tried to replace it with the ROM data from IPDB.org but same result as original one -> wrong sound!

The early games DO NOT use SOUND1 rom like they are packed on IPDB and planetary pinball. They use what we are calling SOUND0 now (msg me for this image). It is possible there is more than one ROM for older games.

Can anyone read these?

20161001_081226 (resized).jpg20161001_081226 (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

I will mail them to someone who can read these. Does anyone at least have a pinout for these PROMs? I wonder if I can make an adapter so my GQ-4X can read them.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

What I read off a PROM and called SOUND0 came from Phoenix. It was 512 bytes and I quadrupled it so it would work on a 2716 EPROM. If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying Contact has a different version than the SOUND0 I took off of Phoneix? If so, good to know.
Hopefully we'll get this figured out so all the early games have the correct sound available.

I created a simple adapter that let me read the PROM from Phoenix using my GQ-4x. I can read them if you like, but it was simple enough you could easily do it by looking at the schematics. I know this because you are smarter than me.

So looks like for an adapter, P18 and P19 will come out of the socket and get pulled high to VCC using a 4.7k resistor or so. Pin 21 will come out of socket and go GND. Sound right??

I will try it today. I have probably 20 of these old sound cards, most probably still have a PROM on them. I will try and read all of them and see what is same or different.

#18 7 years ago

I built an adapter and dumped all the early WMS sound PROMs i had on hand. From about 15 different 7641 masked PROMs, i got 6 different images that I think was a good read.

I labeled them the best I could, but some are unknown. Two with the same image was labeled 'OMNI', is that a shuffle board game?

World Cup
Contact
Disco Fever
Phoenix
Omni
and an unknown game is what I have found.

There was a SOUND0 prom going around that Stangbat read, that verified against the Phoenix PROM i read.

Find the images on my website. I put a link on the bottom of the repair and conversion kit page. http://nvram.weebly.com

Let me know if you think a ROM dump is good/bad/mislabeled.

Andrew

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The unknown ROM seems to be the latest generation sounds of the dumps.

Flash sound board input plugs have been seen pinned two different ways out in the wild (causing lack of bg sound in sys 6 setup / sound ROM 1). I wonder if the unknown sound image ROM goes with Flash games that shipped with the earlier sound board and the system 4 main board.

#24 7 years ago

Other games that may still have an unknown unique sound ROM are.... Stellar Wars, Pokerkino, and Lucky Sevens(if L7s uses a sound board).

I can read them and return the physical IC.

1 year later
#37 6 years ago

Looking for sound ROM for POKERKINO.
Looking for confirmation of what ROM Tri Zone uses.
Looking for shuffle board ROMs like Aristocrat as it probably uses this sound board. Have a ROM for Omni Shuffle.

Also I think the below is correct...

Time Warp = Sound 1
Laserball = Sound 2
Stellar Wars = Sound 1

I don't think this sound board ever showed up in the video world. Looks like Defender was first and has the square shaped sound board.

1 month later
#39 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I have the Pokerino sound ROM for sure, I might have a Tri Zone

Do you have a way to read the original Pokerkino PROM? I had to build an adapter to get my GQ-4X to read them back as a 2716.

For Tri Zone, i think it is SOUND1, but need confirmation.

Here is the WMS PROM images and info that I have collected so far which I am happy to share. OMNI is a shuffle board. I have one unknown ROM image too I read back from an unlabled chip pulled from a sound board. The data is unique... so might be another suffle board, pokerkino's, or possible a video game. I think some early Defender video games used this sound board too.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#41 5 years ago

PM sent. I will make sure to share the sound ROM image file.

#42 5 years ago

21=gnd
19&18 pull high

Then the early sound proms can be read back as 2716.

20180512_221314 (resized).jpg20180512_221314 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#43 5 years ago

I got the Pokerkino sound ROM dumped (thank you Vid1900). It indeed had a unique set of data. I think that covers every pinball game's sound PROM that uses the first generation rectangle shaped sound board. I still have one unknown PROM dump I dont know what it goes to. Perhaps a shuffle or some other video arcade game. The chip was unlabeled and pulled from a large mixed batch of boards I had laying around.

If you want a zip file with all the sound PROMs send me your email in a PM. The ROM files you download from IPDB and other places usually have the wrong sound rom packed in it for games before flash.

3 weeks later
#44 5 years ago

Seems like Algar has a unique sound ROM and uses the rectangle shape sound board. I overlooked this game because it came out after blackout, alien poker, firepower, and gorgar which all used the square shaped sound board that can take a speech card.

The sound ROM is in the IPDB download and has a different checksum than all the other games. I haven't tried it on a board yet to see what kind of sounds it makes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-contact-problem-with-sound-theme?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.