6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Slim64
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm working on a 1985 Williams Comet.

It needed a flipper power board and a sound and speech board, numerous lights and flashers and had the original rubber on it that has now turned to dust and a clay like substance.

I have everything sorted out and have repaired the cracks and holes in the ramps with Plastix (amazing stuff actually).
    All thats left is the backbox lights are not working but after replacing all the flasher bulbs the flashers are working great.

The Playfield GI is perfect and working solidly.
    All of the displays are clear and bright.

So Is it a wire off or broken in the backbox? All the fuses are new and perfect, tested many times with a meter.

What would be the first things to check as far as power to the lights in the backbox only?

#2 6 years ago

Check the relay on the back of the light board, it controls the backbox GI. over time they fail and stop making contact internally.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Check the relay on the back of the light board, it controls the backbox GI. over time they fail and stop making contact internally.

Ill look for it. A picture of it would really help in case its missing on this game.

Any other Ideas?

1 week later
    #4 6 years ago

I can get you pictures of mine if you want for reference. Shoot me a PM to remind me.

#5 6 years ago

Check the GI connector on the power supply. I'll bet dollars to donuts it's burnt. I've recently repaired a system 9, 2 system 11's and a data east game all with the same issue. It should have 4 yellow wires, and 4 other colors, 9 pin connector total with one pin as the key.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#General_Illumination_Issues

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from gregh:

Check the GI connector on the power supply. I'll bet dollars to donuts it's burnt. I've recently repaired a system 9, 2 system 11's and a data east game all with the same issue. It should have 4 yellow wires, and 4 other colors, 9 pin connector total with one pin as the key.
    http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#General_Illumination_Issues

I resolved it by smacking the relay on the floor a couple times. Evidently it was just corroded and jammed up a bit, not being used for 20 years.
    I did find a few good replacements online from $4.80 to $20.
    Marcospec also has replacements.
    Its just a 5 lug 24v automotive style relay, I think normally open.

Thank you so much for everyone who responded, I wouldnt have even known that the relay existed without pinside!

#7 6 years ago

Mine failed the same way, that's why my first thought was the relay lol

Glad it's resolved!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-comet-no-backbox-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.