interlock2 (resized).jpg
Williams WWind DPL.jpg
image-14 (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg
sttng (resized).jpg
whirlwind (resized).jpg
1483034629315-1470499082 (resized).jpg
2016-12-28 17.39.39.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

I'm not getting any coin door open message so yes I have the issue still? Nor sure how to resolve it? Thanks for all the help thus far

Quoted from schudel5:

Hehe! The OP is just chasing his tail, but hey, it's giving him something to do. He'll figure out eventually that this game isn't WPC and it doesn't have that message.
EDIT: Just went out and turned on Whirlwind. Opened and closed coin door 10 times...no message. Nothing all 10 times. Then played a game with the coin door open.

Everyone keeps telling you there is NO MESSAGE on ANY SYSTEM 11 Machine that the coin door is open.

THIS IS 100% CORRECT. THERE IS NO MESSAGE!!!

There is NO MESSAGE on a system 11, Whirlwind included, that says the coin door is open. At most you will get an ADJUST FAILURE if the coin door is closed AND the batteries are dead. That's it, no more, stop chasing your tail...

System 11 machines do NOT have any high voltage cutout switch, nor do they care if the coin door is open or closed to play a game. They only care if the coin door switch is closed, if you try to make a setting change that would have to write to Vram, if the coin door is closed, the setting will fail to be saved.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Same head as STTNG and I get coin door open msg on ST. I'm at a loss here.

So the heads look alike on the outside... They are NOT the same on the inside... Take a look....

WPC Games made AFTER Twilight Zone AFTER 1993 have high power interlock switches that display a message that the coin door is open.

Any machine from Twilight Zone and OLDER made BEFORE 1993 do NOT have high power interlock switches, and do NOT display a coin door message.

Whirlwind was made in 1990, which is before 1993, thus NO MESSAGE.

PS. Did you even bother to look at your displays before saying they're the same? One is a DMD (STTNG) and the other is a two line alpha-numeric x 16 characters (Whirlwind). Obviously NOT the same; now are they?

whirlwind (resized).jpgwhirlwind (resized).jpg
sttng (resized).jpgsttng (resized).jpg

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg

image-14 (resized).jpgimage-14 (resized).jpg

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Same head as STTNG and I get coin door open msg on ST. I'm at a loss here.

Quoted from TBatti:

Thanks but I said the door switch was the same that's all not the guts or display . I'm learning here.
Also someone else has a WW and they get a message so I'm trying to figure it out. Appreciate all the help even the sarcastic ones. Sorry to take time away from you but I am learning thanks.

But the problem is that you did say the head, and didn't say switch. That's exactly why I quoted you in my response (and again here).

We want to help you; but you're dismissing the answer by some of the most knowledgeable in the business.

Can you show us where this one guy, "who is a classmate of a co-worker to the cousin of your mothers uncle" (that's sarcasm), said it should have a message? Give us a link, tell us the forum, show us the message, then we can figure out why the information is incorrect.

I wouldn't think we have a language issue to Alberta, but let us know if English is not you first language.

Regardless, the answer still stands... There is no message on system 11 machines. So there is nothing to fix here.

If you look closely at your STTNG you should see TWO switches inside the coin door, one is the memory protect switch, and the other is the high voltage interlock, on your Whirlwind there should only be one switch; the memory protect switch.

Do you have some other problem you are trying to fix, or some other indication the machine is not working correctly? What is the issue?

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Thanks for all your help. I I will move fwd. BTW STTNG has only 1 switch so I'm not sure what you are referring to but it doesn't matter. I've marked it resolved.
My ramp is more pressing issue for me an I can't get it to go down.

Unless it is a quad pole switch, then it may not actually cut high power even though the DMD says it does. As it states on the third page of the manual for your STTNG, there are TWO switches on the coin door... (see attached copy of STTNG manual page, and picture of the inside of an original STTNG coin door).

If you do NOT have two switches on your STTNG, then you may get the coin door open message, but the power may NOT actually be cut off. I've seen coin doors replaced and the interlock switch wires taped together, effectively eliminating the interlock; but the machine still shows the message incorrectly, since the message is triggered off of the memory protect switch, and the software assumes (badly) that if one switch opens, so must the other, since they are mounted on the same plate. This is a flaw in the way the message is triggered.

The Newer Stern machines you have MAY only have one switch, but it is a multiple pole switch that is doing the duty of BOTH switches that were present on Williams WPC machines and Stern machines from Harley Davidson to about Indiana Jones. (The new single switch has ALL the wiring points that the two old separate switches had, but at a cost that High power and low power are now mixed on the same switch, and can easily be shorted).

Someone may have replaced the switches on you STTNG with the new single switch, or they may have just wired past the interlock switch and only left the memory protect switch.

System 11 machines only had one switch, the memory protect switch.

interlock2 (resized).jpginterlock2 (resized).jpg

interlock (resized).PNGinterlock (resized).PNG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-coin-door-wont-register-that-it-is-open?tu=themadman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.