interlock2 (resized).jpg
Williams WWind DPL.jpg
image-14 (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg
sttng (resized).jpg
whirlwind (resized).jpg
1483034629315-1470499082 (resized).jpg
2016-12-28 17.39.39.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TBatti.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm opening the the coin door in my WW and the pin doesn't realize it is open. All the connections look intact.
I bought a continuity tester and a circuit tester not sure where or how to start?

I should be getting a message that the door is open and I am getting nothing.

Signed Newbie to Repairs

#3 7 years ago

What am I looking for exactly?

1483034629315-1470499082 (resized).jpg1483034629315-1470499082 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Pull the connectors off the switch and test it for continuity with the door open. Press as if door is closed and test again. The two results should be different.
Does the game recognize the door is open if you pull the plunger on that switch all the way to the "out" position?

Is this done with the pin on or off?

#10 7 years ago

Off when you pull the connectors from the switch and test.
On when you pull the plunger all the way to the "out" position to see if Whirlwind recognizes the coin door is open. As EEE pointed out there is probably no message that the door is open. If you're able to get into test mode your switch is working.

Got switch edge test to show up. It does not recognize anything when I hit the coin door button.

#11 7 years ago

So with the continuity tester is this correct: 1. Turn off pin 2.. Pull the connectors off of coins door switch 3. I put the alligator clip on one of the connectors on the coin door switch and the tester on the other. I don't do anything with the wire connectors correct?

I did this and when the button is pushed like the door is closed I have continuity when the door is open nothing.

#14 7 years ago

Sounds like the switch is working properly. Can you describe the procedure you're using to attempt to get into the test mode?

Just going through the menus to get to the switch edge test.

If the switch is working then what could be the Issue?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

That's a memory protect switch on Whirlwind. They didn't start using a HV cutoff switch until 1993 around the time of TZ.

I'm pretty sure it had warning or cutoff before this issue with the door.

#21 7 years ago

The issue could be operator error. To eliminate that possibility I'd like you to describe exactly how you are attempting to get to the switch test. What sequence of buttons at what point in the attract mode? Does that match the instructions in the manual?
Any videos of entering the test menu on a Whirlwind on YouTube? That might help you describe where your game is giving an unexpected result.

I'm just in the menu hitting the advance button to get to the switch edge test.

Regardless the the door should be registering as open?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

No I do not think the door registers as open on these old WPC games. TZ included.

You shouldn't be able to play with the door open?

#25 7 years ago

I can't remember the message that used to come up but there was one when you opened the door and now it does not show up?

#34 7 years ago

Any suggestions on fixing my issue? There should be a message and I'm still not getting it. Checking in WW forum others get a door open message.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

That switch doesn't have any messages associated with it when the door is open. Games that have cutoff have two white switches behind the door. Compare it to your STTNG. The HV switch has a mushroomed head so you can pull it out to activate HV with the door open.

Same head as STTNG and I get coin door open msg on ST. I'm at a loss here.

#37 7 years ago

STTNG is a WPC game, Whirlwind is a System 11B game. There is no coin door open msg on Whirlwind.
If you are unable to access the tests please describe exactly how you are attempting to get to the switch test. What sequence of buttons at what point in the attract mode/game off/startup sequence? Does that match the instructions in the manual?
In other words: When following the instructions in your manual EXACTLY, where is your game giving you different results and what are those unexpected results?

I am opening the door. The manual down button is engaged. Test comes up, I hit the button auto up then I am just hitting the advance button to get to the switch edge test and all other menus functions. So I can access tests. Per the WW forum for comfirmation I should be a door open message just so I know I just didn't misremember. I know I should get a message.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do you have an issue ?
Easiest way to check is go into adjustments. Change some thing. Close the door. Play a game. Go back in and see if the change stayed - if it did, your game is working.
LTG : )

I'm not getting any coin door open message so yes I have the issue still? Nor sure how to resolve it? Thanks for all the help thus far

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I suppose you could try what I said and see.
LTG : )

I have and I've played in menus but I still do not get any open door message when I open the door.

#48 7 years ago

Thanks but I said the door switch was the same that's all not the guts or display . I'm learning here.

Also someone else has a WW and they get a message so I'm trying to figure it out. Appreciate all the help even the sarcastic ones. Sorry to take time away from you but I am learning thanks.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

But the problem is that you did say the head, and didn't say switch. That's exactly why I quoted you in my response (and again here).
We want to help you; but you're dismissing the answer by some of the most knowledgeable in the business.
Can you show us where this one guy, "who is a classmate of a co-worker to the cousin of your mothers uncle" (that's sarcasm), said it should have a message? Give us a link, tell us the forum, show us the message, then we can figure out why the information is incorrect.
I wouldn't think we have a language issue to Alberta, but let us know if English is not you first language.
Regardless, the answer still stands... There is no message on system 11 machines. So there is nothing to fix here.
If you look closely at your STTNG you should see TWO switches inside the coin door, one is the memory protect switch, and the other is the high voltage interlock, on your Whirlwind there should only be one switch; the memory protect switch.
Do you have some other problem you are trying to fix, or some other indication the machine is not working correctly? What is the issue?

Thanks for all your help. I I will move fwd. BTW STTNG has only 1 switch so I'm not sure what you are referring to but it doesn't matter. I've marked it resolved.
My ramp is more pressing issue for me an I can't get it to go down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TBatti.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-coin-door-wont-register-that-it-is-open?tu=TBatti and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.