20190603_135621 (resized).jpg
20190603_135554 (resized).jpg
6e54df1d18b121a3e93e77f47b7279228a2b7f03 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190604_132314_01 (resized).jpg
spinoutgrandprix (resized).jpg
GTB_Sys1_Chime_Box (resized).jpg
12625086_800 (resized).jpg
20190602_152158 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I recently just brought home a Grand Prix and all of the non-metal parts on the chime box have rotted out. I know Williams' chimes sound clanky to begin with, but was wondering what the thoughts were on rebuilding to original vs getting xylophone bars (or other) and replacing the bars, perhaps building a box, etc? I love the sound of GTB chimes, but know they can be a little spendy. Anyone have any experience "upgrading" the Williams' chime units?

#3 4 years ago

Has anyone replaced just the chime bars? I did a "rebuild" using nylon wire insulation, cut up post rubber, and silicon washers, and I can get one really good chime (med bar), slightly worse chime (small bar) and one really bad chime (large bar). I was thinking maybe getting the same bars that GTB machines had or using tuned bars of off a xylophone or glockenspiel, as I now have learned

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

If you're really industrious, you can tune the bars yourself - basically, you shorten them until you get the tone you desire.
Just a curiosity - since Wms sound clunky anyhow, how would wooden xylophone sound? Clunkier?

I would love to, but I don't have the tools to grind or cut the bars myself. I'm looking for a place to buy individual bars, or just looking to get a used set to take bars off of. If anything, I'd have to drill mounting holes for them.

I was also curious about wooden xylophone bars. Would definitely be much easier to work with and if I can find a cheap set, I wouldn't have any problems experimenting.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'd just rebuild. The clanky William's chimes are all part of the experience for me.

I may end up just getting a proper kit and doing that.

Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi
I remember the arcade rooms back in the 1970ies (here in Switzerland) - jolly atmosphere - quite a few chimes - or from older machines the sound of the bell (bells) - and the Knockers were knocking here and there.
Now I own some pins - but mostly play alone or with one visitor --- odd / strange just one bell or one chime. EMs (for me) are noisy enough without chimes / bells --- usually I have them disconnected - or even have pins without a chime.
An American in Germany - read here https://www.chimeunit.com/about_us . And here https://www.chimeunit.com/chime-units we see the chimes he offers (?). (((Over the years I now and then bought me Williams or Gottlieb chimes in EBay - for 100 to 140 Swiss Francs - roughly the same in Euros (Germany), same in US-Dollars.)))
Disclaimer - or such words: I do not know this man - I do not know if he (still) sells his (new) chimes - I do not know if he ships to USA / outside of Germany - and I also have never heard one of his chimes. Greetings Rolf

Thanks for the links. I'll check it out.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

I rebuilt my Liberty Bell chimes with the PBR kit, and the end result was much better than expected. I'd agree it's not quite as good as Gottlieb, but not nearly as bad as I expected from what you usually read.
Alternatively, if you have your spinners pretty juiced, consider just unplugging the chime unit. The sound of score reels turning over at lightspeed when you rip a spinner is a great sound in itself, and is unique to these late-70s Williams EMs.

I have to say, I do enjoy the sound of the score reels spinning. The chime unit (on my diy rebuild) sounds like to can't keep up, so the sound of the score reels spinning are the loudest.

This my only EM at the moment, so there won't be any confusing sounds I'll get a PBR rebuild kit on my next order and not obsess about it not sounding as good as a Gottlieb 2 of the 3 bars sound pretty good. It's the bar that actuates the most that sounds the worst...funny how that works lol

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Has anyone researched/confirmed if Williams chimes were designed properly with respect to this node spacing?

I really doubt it, and probably why it sounds as bad as it does. The spacing for the mounting points are all the same for each bar in the Williams unit and the result is what I described a few posts back as far as the quality of sound goes. It might seem like they found one bar the worked (middle bar) then added a shorter bar and a longer bar to add variety (at the cost of purity) of the sounds.

Compared to even the most basic of glockenspiels, the mounting points are different from bar to bar, to produce a more tuned and refined tone.
20190602_152158 (resized).jpg20190602_152158 (resized).jpg
12625086_800 (resized).jpg12625086_800 (resized).jpg

In which, as you can see, the Gottlieb unit emulates, making for nicer tonal qualities.
GTB_Sys1_Chime_Box (resized).jpgGTB_Sys1_Chime_Box (resized).jpg

Also, the striking point of the Williams unit is at the end of the bar, as opposed to the center of the bar. I would think you would get better sound quality by moving the placement of the solenoids. Again, I doubt there was a lot of thought put into the Williams' chime units.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Your photo is an optical illusion. The mount points for Gottlieb chime units are the same spacing for all three bars. Not sure what other design aspect makes them more tonally desirable but it isn't a spread spacing.

I suppose that could be true. I don't have a Gottlieb box in front of me so I can't confirm. Either way, the Williams units are still inferior to the Gottlieb ones. I think we can all agree on that.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from spinout:

HA! Love me some Grand Prix! Rip the Spinners!!!! No feeling quite like it. I have mine sitting next to my Spin Out (love me some F1 as well). Gottlieb's Spin Out chimes are the best - smooth, clear, loud and what I consider to be the universal "sound" of a pinball machine... hell, on Better Call Saul they edited this sound over the true sound of a High Speed 2 last season. Even Spin Out's knocker sounds better than Grand Prix's.
In any event, I used small plumbing washers and door mutes from Home Depot on my Grand Prix chime unit to rebuilt it... and yes, it is clanky for 2 of the 3 bars, but it is literally the sound of every Grand Prix I have heard and how it is supposed to sound (my wife loves the Spin Out chime sound and hates Grand Prix's - insert door slamming closed)... within a month of owning it, I came to love Grand Prix's sound - like someone banging a wrench on a pipe. Besides this is 1976 F1 racing - it should be dirty, loud and clanky![quoted image]

Thanks for the post The game is in the middle of a teardown right now and I've only put on maybe 20 games on worn and dirty mechs and dirty playfield. I may grow to love it once I get it back together and get some good games on it. One question I do have is currently the flippers are pretty flat when in the fully plunged position and both coils buzz quite loudly. I'm not sure if I can expect a huge difference after rebuilding the flippers (and new EOS switches , new flipper coils, and new flipper cabinet switches), but I sort of am? Hope this isn't a normal part of the game either.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Uh that's not true. Williams chimes hit in the middle. Not the end.

In the first picture above (this was taken from my machine that I'm currently working on) you can see the solenoids on the right hand side. I've circled it.

Quoted from Pablito350:

I'm in the middle of cleaning up a Grand Prix, and now that the cabinet has been painted I'm starting on repopulating it. This thread has been helpful as I'm looking to rebuild the chime box next week.
Do you recommend a rebuild kit from PBR or marco, or simply go the Home Depot route and use the washers and shrink tubing?
[quoted image]
(shameless attachment because I"m happy how it turned out )
-Paul

The paint job looks great! I ended up using stuff I had lying around in my pinball stuff. Post sleeves, nylon tubing, and silicon washers. I inserted a 1/2 inch piece of nylon tubing into a 1/4 inch piece of post sleeve and placed that over the post on the unit. Put the bar down on top of that and then finally the silicon washer retaining bar, and the retaining "clip". This was so that the bar would have free movement and could vibrate without any damping. I've tried to from pretty tight, to pretty loose, and this ended up sounding the best. Like I mentioned earlier, the middle bar definitely sounds the best (most pure sound), the smaller bar sounds a bit worse, and the large bar sounds like a tin can.
6e54df1d18b121a3e93e77f47b7279228a2b7f03 (resized).jpg6e54df1d18b121a3e93e77f47b7279228a2b7f03 (resized).jpg20190603_135554 (resized).jpg20190603_135554 (resized).jpg20190603_135621 (resized).jpg20190603_135621 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-chimes-rebuild-or-upgrade?tu=fatpanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.