1 (resized).JPG
BASInstructionCard (resized).JPG
20170718_153743 (resized).jpg
20170716_203020 (resized).jpg
20170718_154312 (resized).jpg
20170718_153751 (resized).jpg
20170718_153757 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've been working on restoring a Williams Bowl A Strike machine, and I've managed to fix quite a few of the issues with it. I am still stumped by a couple of items, however, and would appreciate any assistance you might be able to give.

1. When the game ends, it still displays that there is one ball to play on the back glass. Is this normal, or is there something that should trigger it to go back down to zero? (This is my first experience with an add-a-ball machine)20170718_153743 (resized).jpg20170718_153743 (resized).jpg

2. The top left target should either score 100 points or a strike (when lit). It does neither. The top right target did not score anything when I first started working on the machine, however, that was fixed by playing with the contacts on the "ten strike relay". It's a bit blurry, but I've included pictures of the targets and the piece of the schematic I was following.20170718_153751 (resized).jpg20170718_153751 (resized).jpg 20170718_154312 (resized).jpg20170718_154312 (resized).jpg

3. When I get 10 strikes, there is an "extra ball" that lites up on the outlanes (one will light at a time), however, when the ball rolls over the one that's lit up, nothing happens - no score, no extra ball.20170718_153757 (resized).jpg20170718_153757 (resized).jpg

4. The last picture here is of what I think was labeled the "strike reset relay", where there is a wire that's not connected to anything at all. There are several hack jobs of wiring throughout the machine, but this one literally has a single wire going off into nowhere. Any idea what it should be connected to? Should strikes ever reset other than when the machine starts a new game?20170716_203020 (resized).jpg20170716_203020 (resized).jpg

Any help on moving me forward with any of the above listed issues would be greatly appreciated!

#2 6 years ago

I can test out some of the rules on mine for you tomorrow if no one chimes in in the meantime (pun intended).

I do know that the extra ball outlane should increase the ball count though when it's lit.

#3 6 years ago

Would be nice to get a better scan of your schematic and send it to ipdb.org.

Indeed it looks like a 10 strike relay make/break switch controls whether that switch will do something. Check again all make/break switches on that relay.

For the light on the backglass, check the schematic for that light to see how it is controlled (or post a scan of that portion of the schematic).

#4 6 years ago

Here's some answers based on how my machine plays (note that mine may not be 100% accurate!)

1. The number one light goes out and the game over light goes on.

2. 10 when not lot, 100 and a strike when lit

3. Extra ball added, strike light goes out (none lit)

4. See #3, when extra ball collected the strikes reset

Here's a photo of the instruction card from my machine, also some photos of the full schematics (sorry, no access to a scanner!). Click to zoom!

BASInstructionCard (resized).JPGBASInstructionCard (resized).JPG

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG

2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Alright, that at least tells me a few things that I can start to look for. I'm guessing that the extra ball issue is connected to that disconnected wire on the strike reset relay - would you mind looking at your machine and seeing where the wires on that coil connect to?

#6 6 years ago

Ok, so made some serious progress on the machine! After playing around with some possible wiring scenarios, I soldered that loose wire and voila! The extra ball now works and the strikes reset!

As for the one ball in play staying lit, I made a concerted effort to clean every contact on the ball count unit, and that fixed it!

Finally, for the left target, I cleaned out the entire 10-strike relay unit again, still to no avail. So I disassembled the target completely, and found that someone had basically superglued the target together (and it looked like maybe some of the glue was covering up part of the contact, but it would have been impossible to see without taking it apart). So I took an exacto knife and removed all the glue that was surrounding the area and cleaned the contacts like crazy. Then I re-assembled it and re-soldered the silver wire back on, tried it...and it still didn't work. So then I played around with an alligator clip and tried playing with powering it through the clip...and it started working! After removing the clip it continued to work, even after several resets! So I'm not sure exactly what fixed it in the end, but it seems to be working now.

After going through the machine again, I've found one more (or maybe two more) issues that you might have some comments on...

It involves the "worth 10x points when lit" lights down by the flippers. They light up when going over the top right roll-over switch, but not the top-left. I tried cleaning the contacts on that roll-over, to no avail. Any other suggestions?

The second potential issue is that the left and right targets will sometimes score 10 points instead of 100. It only seems to happen when they are NOT lit. Maybe they are only worth 10 when not lit? And so maybe it's not really an issue? I'm not sure. Would you mind testing that for me?

#7 6 years ago

Awesome! Yep, I'll be able to get to my machine in a few days to test that out. Do you have labels for all the adjustment connectors in the backbox? All of mine are missing, it would be great to get a photo of them all to either recreate or at least for my reference for which one does what!

#8 6 years ago

Let me know if these are what you are looking for.

On a side note, I'm leaving for vacation shortly and will be gone for several days, so don't mind the radio silence.

20170723_213255 (resized).jpg20170723_213255 (resized).jpg

20170723_213324 (resized).jpg20170723_213324 (resized).jpg

20170723_213341 (resized).jpg20170723_213341 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Thanks, perfect! I should have the test results for you when you get back then.

#10 6 years ago

Ok, I've tested out those scenarios on my machine. When either of the top lanes is lit, and the ball rolls through the lit lane, it lights the two bottom 10x lights.

The top two targets are 10 points unlit, 100 when lit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-bowl-a-strike-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.