• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Blue Chip Bonus SU (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I feel like I've refurbed every switch that could be related to this, and I'm stumped. All of the switches on the playfield that are supposed to advance the bonus do so fine, but the top kickout holes score multiple times. The center hole adds the bonus twice, and the right hole sticks (continuously adding bonus until the game is turned off). When I cycle the power on the machine, the bonus usually stops advancing, but sometimes it requires another reset. I've gone through the bonus stepper (it was grody and sluggish) but that didn't fix it. I checked the switches on the kickout holes and they look fine. I also looked at the relays for each of the kickout holes, and they both appear fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on and where I should look next?

Please see the following video for a demonstration.

#2 2 years ago

The only thing I can see is the R Eject Relay. Either sticking or self energizing switch too close. You can put a strip of paper in self energizing switch to see.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Kent_Diego:

The only thing I can see is the R Eject Relay. Either sticking or self energizing switch too close. You can put a strip of paper in self energizing switch to see.

Thanks Kent. I'll give that relay another look and reply with my findings.

#4 2 years ago

I agree that it looks like the Right Eject relay is not releasing. Based on the schematic I think the eject holes are supposed to advance the Bonus by two steps:
Blue Chip Bonus SU (resized).jpgBlue Chip Bonus SU (resized).jpg
There are two Score Motor switches wired in parallel that will both fire the Bonus Step Up solenoid when the Center or Right Eject relays fire.

BTW, the schematic on IPDB.com could be better. If you have a good copy consider having it scanned and sending a copy to them.

/Mark

#5 2 years ago

I spent some time this afternoon on it.

Ejects seem to be doing better I think they might have been mechanically hung up at their respective relays and needed some exercise in releasing. Switch stacks on the score motor seem sound but verified too.

We are still working on the 10s and 100s scoring simultaneously.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

We are still working on the 10s and 100s scoring simultaneously.

Did you check the 9th position switch on the 10's reel? If it's always closed it will make the 100's turn also.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Did you check the 9th position switch on the 10's reel? If it's always closed it will make the 100's turn also.

Yes it’s working fine. It has to be somewhere on the playfield. We have that tiny Jones plug hooked up wire by wire with alligator clips. If I sever the top right it starts working fine. Alternating relay appears fine and in adjustment too. Nothing obviously crushed

#8 2 years ago

If either the B or C switch on the Change relay is out of adjustment so all 3 terminals are connected together, the 10 and 100 point relays will activate together.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If either the B or C switch on the Change relay is out of adjustment so all 3 terminals are connected together, the 10 and 100 point relays will activate together.
[quoted image]

I isolated both options with tape still does it. Next time I’m at Dave’s I’m considering cutting the wires from the blades. Not the common though

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blue-chip-weird-bonus-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.