Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jweiss013
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Greetings Pinsiders! First time poster here, but I got myself a sweet Blue Chip machine about a month ago. It was working for the most part at the time of sale. Fast forward about 100 games - to a game last week I tilted the machine (the normal amount) and the score motor was not successful in completing a reset sequence. I think this issue shouldn't be a bear to track down, but I have started by checking a few things myself and am beginning to become stumped. The schematic on IPDB is also not very good resolution so I sent a couple PM's out to try and obtain one of the crispy looking ones I have seen floating around. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Summery of events since the great tilt incident:
Cleaned all plugs in the machine with scotchbrite and isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
IPA cleaned score motor contacts - not sure I was 100% thorough
Checked 4 fuses at front of machine -sat
Checked 2 fuses on bottom side of playfield -sat
Cleaned/checked contact adj on reset, tilt, 10pt, score reset, bonus reset relay

*Restarted machine*
Only the jet sling/ambient lights are lit.
Added random amounts of score to all reels and hit the start button - score reel switches functioned and return to zero.
Bonus unit did not return to zero.
Bonus unit was in position 1 - I manually moved to pos zero and the score motor completed the startup sequence.
I started a game and I observed that no bonus lights illuminated, but the bonus unit was stepping up normally as i scored a bonus advance.
No target lights 1-8 illuminating but they do initiate chime.
I shook the table and all the lights came on. I drained the ball and the bonus stepped down to zero adding score to the reels appropriately. Launched ball two and the lights flickered out. Upon draining the ball, the bonus unit accumulated points on the score reel infinate loop until i turned the machine off.
I checked bonus unit switches and coils. Both coils read resistance 4-7 ohms. I cleaned EOS and pos switches - seemed to be adjusted correctly from what i read in another thread on pinside. Possibly verified from the instant that the bonus unit worked when the lights flickered on.

*Restart machine again*
Only ambient lights are lit. (no insert lights)
Start game - score reels reset, bonus unit resets, ball outhole functions
I score a few targets and such, no insert lights, but bonus advances.
Drain ball - bonus accumulates properly on score reels.
End of game sequence completes properly and gameover light comes on.

While looking around I find a seemingly unrelated second issue:
10 pt relay - the relay kicks on at the first 10 pt score and never releases. I didn't realize this was not normal gameplay but it makes total sense that we should hear medium chime whenever we hit a bumper. Hopefully someone can explain how EOS works on this coil because its staying off until the first hit of any 10pt action in the game is hit, then on until a tilt or game over. The playfield switches seem to be in proper adjustment. This probably will burn out my score and chime coils if not fixed.

I am suspecting a crumb has fallen to the wrong spot, I have a loose wire somewhere or the tilt has not reset.

Regards,

Jeff

#2 1 year ago

Quick follow-up, I forgot the TLDR.

;TLDR;

Two separate issues:

1. The game working fully aside from all insert lights not coming on. We saw two instances where they flickered on with minor smacking of the cabinet, but I get nothing now. We checked and the game is scoring perfectly normal and resetting. I verified the specials are activating along with the double bonus. No insert lights is the end of the story there.

2. 10 pt relay EOS is not functioning properly even after cleaning. Was not functioning right prior to issue #1.

Thanks for reading!

Best Regards,

Jeff

#3 1 year ago

Check the bonus relay normally open switch with the O-W wire connected And the double bonus relay make/break switch with the same color wire. Also check the normally closed switch and the make/break switch that are blade switches for the bonus unit zero position. Clean and adjust switches if needed. The lighting problem is probably on the tilt relay.

1 month later
#4 1 year ago

Mr Pinball Dave! thank you for the suggestion. I went back and took a look at the bonus relays. The contact for the O-W wire was SUPER black with with 'soot' and dirty. I cleaned this and ran through my tilt relay again. The Tilt relay seemed okay, but whatever I did got it nearly back to normal. I have a fully working game aside from the tilt light not coming on when i trigger the plumb bob tilt sensor. I also do not get a tilt when i roll the ramp tilt sensor ball to the top. I can hold the ball there but no tilt. I am suspicious I still have a problem, but am happy I we can play again.

The 10 pt relay issue turned out to be that the EOS switch is located on the 10 point score reel. I manually racked the reel after scoring a 10 pt bumper and the 10 pt relay and chime solenoid kick off immediately. I will order a new B1-26 / 800 coil and we should be in business. I am missing the end stop for this and I cannot find the part on any website, even the guys with old hard to find inventory. The end stop seems like something I can fabricate in my shop, but I would prefer to not have to go down that road. Does anyone have experience with these seemingly rare end stops?

Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Check the bonus relay normally open switch with the O-W wire connected And the double bonus relay make/break switch with the same color wire. Also check the normally closed switch and the make/break switch that are blade switches for the bonus unit zero position. Clean and adjust switches if needed. The lighting problem is probably on the tilt relay.

#5 1 year ago

I decided to go take another look around and it turns out in the month I have been away Marco Specialties has stocked the drum wheel end stops I needed. I went ahead and ordered enough to do all 5 drums.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blue-chip-bonus-target-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.