By mikiemike1

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Guys,

I just acquired a Williams Blue Chip. Everything seems fine. The only thing that is off is that the ball in play (5 balls) plays double for a total of 10 balls.

I don't have the manual, but is there a setting in the backbox that is off?

Please advise and thanks.

-mike

#2 3 years ago

Always check IPDB, your manual and schematics are there...

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=325

It isn't a setting, probably your ball count unit is out of alignment, or something related.

These two pieces of info will help diagnose the issue:
- Does your Balls to Play change every ball, then stop on the last one?
- If you set it to 3 ball, do you get 6 balls?

#3 3 years ago

BK,
No, it is doubled with ball in play:
Game ends

#4 3 years ago

#5 3 years ago

Well, my bet is that the sweeper on the ball unit is out of alignment and is in contact with the same circuit twice, then moves to the next misaligned contact.

Visually inspect the ball unit and see if the sweeper contact is in the middle of the contact on the board, or if it is offset a touch. The diagram is page 14 in the manual.

Use your finger on the coil/plunger to advance the sweeper and observe what it is doing. Work it through all the balls and the reset sequence a few times to learn how it works.

You probably need to advance the sweeper just a touch, or figure out what determine the reset position, like a stop or something.

Most adjustments like this can be done with your hand and should not require any tools. Once you start adjusting these with tools, you need to know what you are doing.

#6 3 years ago

BK,

Thanks, will print out manual and give it a read. Thank goodness it doesn't look like it requires much.

-mm

#7 3 years ago

Check to see if the ball index relay is dropping out when score motor cam 3 switch c opens during the ball in outhole.

#8 3 years ago

Upon examining the ball count unit, it appears that the problem lies there. It counts up fine, but going down it sticks, hence the double ball count.

Question, is there an easy way to lube the cog or the finger contacts?

I'm new to this and don't want to mess it up.

Please advise and thanks.

-mm

#9 3 years ago

If it’s hanging up lube won’t help.

I would start with the coil and plunger.
Take the coil off and see if it is hanging up somewhere on that end of the assembly. Could need a sleeve or stop or something.
Use your finger to simulate the plunger and see if it decrements properly.

You’ll also be able to see any wear on the linkage.

#10 3 years ago

Mikiemike

You will probably have to rebuild the stepper unit. There are some good threads on this site on how to rebuild them, along with Utube videos. Its most likely the pivot points need cleaned.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

You will probably have to rebuild the stepper unit.

Check this out, from Clay's superb site (bookmark!): http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#12 3 years ago

i usually clean them up good with alcohol, and never use a lubricant it makes them sticky and not work

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blue-chip-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.