You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C33DC083-FD96-4DBE-B77E-16C44625F119 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20201125_014823305 (resized).jpg
0Shangri-La-Mech-Panel-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi, im new to EM machines. I have a 1967 Williams Blast Off that was working a few days ago, then i turned it on and it lights up, but when the start button is pressed, it does nothing. No clicking, no humming, nothing. The switch is good.

As far as i know the machine has not been deeply repaired, just rubber replacement.

Im a pretty experienced electronics technician, and have a paper schematic for it, i just dont know where the parts physically are, as in, where is the reset relay in the sea of relays in this thing?

Oh and nothing looks or smells burnt. It just smells like an old machine. Reminds me of an old airplane smell

#2 1 year ago

Can you post a good photo of the schematic?

The coin relay should energize first. You can identify it by coil type and some wire colour sleuthing. Probably on the mech panel (bottom board) back left area. You can visually inspect switches in the circuit and use a jumper wire to isolate what is at fault.

#3 1 year ago

It should fire up if you turn the power on and then manually engage the Coin relay. Does that work?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It should fire up if you turn the power on and then manually engage the Coin relay. Does that work?

Well, i never thought to check the coin relay since the machine has the coin mech bypassed. Its set up to where i plug it in and press a button that turns it on and acts as a game start button. But now that button just turns the machines lights on, the score doesnt reset to zero, nor does the machine reset at all.

#5 1 year ago

Check the schematic, you'll see that the replay button switch energizes the coin relay to kick everything off.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikec2003:

Well, i never thought to check the coin relay since the machine has the coin mech bypassed.

I don't know if you're thinking of the coin lockout or something else, but the Coin relay will be on the bottom of the cab, likely towards the back. As I said, manually engage it with the power on and it should fire up. Then you can start to figure out why the start button isn't doing it. If not, you'll need to figure that out.

#7 1 year ago

Hi Mikec2003
in an EM-Pin there is no (computer) board that may get distroyed - You can manually actuate any relay in the pin - but please do not fumble on Flipper-Bats. Every relay, stepper coil should stand "1 minute of faulty constantly pulling" - You may do a test (one minute can be long time) then toggle-off the pin - let cool down. Old EM-Pins are dangerous for us people - free access to solder-lugs that may carry 6VAC, 24VAC, Bally 48VAC, 110VAC, Europe 220VAC - free access - sometimes a neat row of fuses - and the LINE (110) Fuse just there - and the Line is connected when the pin is plugged-in !!! Please wear rubber gloves (insulation) - exercise care.
A fact - what is called "Coin-Relay" very often is Start-Relay. See the JPG - my Shangri La - also quite old. Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-Mech-Panel-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi MikeC2003
in an EM-Pin there is no (computer) board that may get distroyed - You can manually actuate any relay in the pin - but please do not fumble on Flipper-Bats. Every relay, stepper coil should stand "1 minute of faulty constantly pulling" - You may do a test (one minute can be long time) then toggle-off the pin - let cool down. Old EM-Pins are dangerous for us people - free access to solder-lugs that may carry 6VAC, 24VAC, Bally 48VAC, 110VAC, Europe 220VAC - free access - sometimes a neat row of fuses - and the LINE (110) Fuse just there - and the Line is connected when the pin is plugged-in !!! Please wear rubber gloves (insulation) - exercise care.
A fact - what is called "Coin-Relay" very often is Start-Relay. See the JPG - my Shangri La - also quite old. Greetings Rolf
[quoted image]

Thanks for the pic. Mine is laid out almost the same. I will dig into it when i get home. I was kinda curious what kind of voltages are in there.

Careful as i may be, ive been hit with 110, 220, and 15kv off of a picture tube once. That was no fun. Oh and 110v 400hz on an airplane ac generator

#9 1 year ago

Hi Mikec2003 +
I didn't find the schematics of Blast Off - but (better than nothing) of Apollo - here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blast-off-issueshelp#post-3484849 . Greetings Rolf

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikec2003:

Well, i never thought to check the coin relay since the machine has the coin mech bypassed. Its set up to where i plug it in and press a button that turns it on and acts as a game start button. But now that button just turns the machines lights on, the score doesnt reset to zero, nor does the machine reset at all.

Did you confirm that nothing happened with the "free play" setting... That is, is the switch on the credit reel still bypassed to add the credit when the start button is pressed? If that switch opened up, it would not start a game and behave as you described.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Did you confirm that nothing happened with the "free play" setting... That is, is the switch on the credit reel still bypassed to add the credit when the start button is pressed? If that switch opened up, it would not start a game and behave as you described.

I havent yet. I havent had much time tonight to look at it. I did manually move each set of relay contacts to see if that changes anything, but it still didnt change. I will ponder the schematic now and see what it turns up. I am glad the machine came with a paper schematic. Not a fan of pdf

#12 1 year ago

That switch will be in the backbox attached to the wheel that shows the credits in the backglass. You can manually move the plunger on the coil to add a credit. If the game then starts with the start button (when there is a number showing on the credit wheel), that's the issue. If not start looking at the relays.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

That switch will be in the backbox attached to the wheel that shows the credits in the backglass. You can manually move the plunger on the coil to add a credit. If the game then starts with the start button (when there is a number showing on the credit wheel), that's the issue. If not start looking at the relays.

That switch seems to be working. If I manually activate it, it counts up and down.

One thing i noticed, since i was back there is the score counter wheels are very hard to turn by hand, the relays dont move well at all and theres lots of black dust. If the score wheels were stuck, that would stop up the game, right?

#14 1 year ago

The score wheels really should only move by pulling on the plunger link. It should be pretty difficult to manually turn the wheel.

So to confirm if you manually pull the plunger in order to get a credit number visible in the glass, are you still unable to start a game?

Note in my picture (not Blast Off, but Spanish Eyes), the top switch with the green jumper is the one that should be closed. My hand is on the plunger link to add credits...

PXL_20201125_014823305 (resized).jpg
#15 1 year ago

So i had time to dig into it more. There is a lot of charring on a circuit board looking part on the 0-9 score wheel mechanism. Also all but one score wheel has a relay that is pretty stuck. I think this may be the issue. I think i need to pull these wheel mechanisms out and fix them up.

I took the mech off. The circuit board is fried bad

C33DC083-FD96-4DBE-B77E-16C44625F119 (resized).jpeg
#16 1 year ago

Ouch! I'd ask in the EM parts wanted/available topic to see if someone has a spare

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread

2 months later
#17 1 year ago

Pinball resource had a whole reel mechanism available. Unfortunately, the machine is no better off. I’ll play with it when other home projects are done

4 weeks later
#18 1 year ago

The score motor has physically come apart. I really hope this is the root failure. Really want to get back to just enjoying it. Lets hope i can find one

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
$ 36.95
Tools
Magaro Machines
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!