IMG_20210312_224152 (resized).jpg
STROBE 3&4 solder pads (resized).jpg
strobe outputs (resized).png
41Cuj7wbY1L (resized).jpg
95342809cef55bf67eec5cbf2964e84729ee489e (2) (resized).jpg
IC29 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210311_212517 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210311_212256 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

Recommend you start by reading vid's guide for bulletproofing williams games

There should be a coil table in the manual

If you need any help with it (board diagnostics, parts, etc) lmk. I've got a Blackout too and I'm in town

#5 3 years ago

Page 10 of the schematic, solenoid 14 drive

1 week later
#8 3 years ago

yeah, that's safe. as long as it functions how you like, there's no real issue.

well, besides if you sell it and someone looks in and goes 'wtf is this hack, ugh'

1 week later
#16 3 years ago

Two Leds on means it's not booting. Sound card won't cause that. Could be bad sockets, bad 5v, bad 12v, bad interconnect

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Flip-it-good:

The repair facility had both the driver board and the mpu connected together and running most of the day I also gave them the power supply board and they checked that and that was healthy. Where do I check voltages specifically? I'm pretty good with a multimeter. Perhaps you can share a step-by-step...I will check the ground strap as well.

In the manual there's a diagram of all the boards, and it has the voltage input and output labeled.

#26 3 years ago

First try unplugging the MPU, see if the 5V goes back up. there could be a short dragging the voltage down. 5V can also be checked across the

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#28 3 years ago

Disconnect the MPU: Not sure how to disconnect the MPU. I see the two black circles at two different connectors in the diagrams....I tried disconnecting J2 at the top left side of the CPU board then checked for 5V. At TP9, It's still around 3.6V....

For disconnecting the mpu, I'd probably do all the connectors to be sure. 5v comes in at multiple connectors so the mpu could still be draining it. The circled connectors are where the 5v exits the power supply and its primary entrance to the mpu, for reference points to use when checking voltage (since you won't be able to use the mpu test points once it's unplugged)

#31 3 years ago

Yep, that'd do it! That cap is on the 12v, which gets regulated down to 5v, so without it both those voltages will be weak. If your repair place didn't replace that cap, you definitely should. It can cause resets and other issues if it's too old.

Similarly, for the hum from the speaker, first thing to do is recap the sound board

#34 3 years ago

Diodes can be replaced by 6A4 iirc. Check Vid's guide, he lists upgraded parts for all this stuff.

Have you tried swapping the displays around to see where the display issue is?

#37 3 years ago

That 6 is probably showing the high score (default to 600k?)

There's a resistor on the master display board for each digit that commonly burns up, should check them.

The digits are separated into two sets (1+3, 2+4) so it's a bit weird having the same digit out on all four, unless one of your displays has a bad segment and took out the driver circuitry or something

#39 3 years ago

On this board, iirc all the resistors can just be measured with power off. I'd just check every one on the board and compare the readings with the schematic.

This all might be a moot point though since you have two dead displays. You're either going to need to source some used displays for the other two, or switch all 5 to LED, in which case the master display will be getting replaced too.

#45 3 years ago

Those are for extra capacitors that aren't used on later games.

#58 3 years ago

All the digits should change during the display test

2 weeks later
#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Inkochnito - I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you could still use the driver board with zero ohm jumpers in system 6 games. Am I remembering correctly?

I had one in my Alien Poker, never noticed any issues

1 week later
#104 3 years ago

Didn't you swap the master display board before with no effect?

2 months later
#162 2 years ago

there are 3 roms usually. 2 green flippers, 1 game-specific. depending on the board you get, it might already have the green chips installed, in which case you only need to move the other one

1 year later
#184 1 year ago

Ok, TP 7 reads 4.9V and TP 10 reads 0. No voltage reading. Should I replace 5101?

Note, he said *between* those two. eg, use TP10 as ground. You should only have one reading

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blackout-repair?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.