20200929_195027 (resized).jpg
bo (resized).png
2048305948.png
thumbnail (3) (resized).jpg
thumbnail (2) (resized).jpg
thumbnail (resized).jpg
Blackout (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

When I hit the kick-out hole for Blackout mode the playfield lights go out as do the LED scoring lights. The GI backglass lights remain on. Those are supposed to "Blackout" as well correct?

#2 3 years ago

Yes, everthing in the game goes off or blinking.
Check the relay in the back box if the wiring is correct.

#3 3 years ago

The wiring coming off the relay is correct. Another post said the Brown/Violet goes to connector 2J9 pin 5 on the driver board which is what I have. He said the red wire goes to connector 3J3 pin 6 on the power board but mine is in pin 8. My pin 6 is occupied by another wire. Can I double them up?

#4 3 years ago

Check for a stuck contact on the GI relay.

#5 3 years ago

I doubt it is a stuck contact on the relay.
All the yellow wires are connected together.
On my Blackout the wire from the transformer goed directly to the relay and then it goes to the fuse(s).
If only the playfield goes on and off someone must have messed with the wires.
If someone has indeed reworked the wires, it can be a stuck contact.

The connections to your relay are correct according to the manual
The red wire is supposed to be on 3J3-8.
This is also a solenoid power connection (see partial schematic).

Peter

Blackout (resized).jpgBlackout (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

Yes, the relay contacts do not appear to be stuck together. I have to amend my original post. Upon "Blackout" neither the GI lights in the head or playfield go out. All others do.

#7 3 years ago

And there's no wire in 3J3-9

#8 3 years ago

Here's what I've got.

thumbnail (2) (resized).jpgthumbnail (2) (resized).jpgthumbnail (3) (resized).jpgthumbnail (3) (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Looks like 3J3-8 has a bad connection. As Inkochnito noted it's pin 8, not pin 9.

2048305948.png2048305948.png
#10 3 years ago

I fixed the connection on 3J3-8. Doesn't the schematic show there should also be a connection in 3J3-9? I have no wire there.

#11 3 years ago

Looking at that schematic above, it looks like 3J3 pins 6, 7, 8, and 9 are all 28vdc (coil voltage). Are you getting 28vdc at both sides of the relay coil?

#12 3 years ago

I'm a novice when it comes to electronics. I'll pick up a DMM later today. How do I check the voltage and what setting do I use on the multi-meter?

#13 3 years ago

Set meter to check DC voltage. If it's an auto-ranging meter, you won't need to select a range. Otherwise set it for the range closest to (but *above*) 28. Place and hold the tip of the black probe against the ground strap in the backbox. Place the meter's red probe on the solder lug of the relay with the red wire and note the voltage (should be around 28-35 volts dc). Next, place the meter's red meter probe on the solder lug with the brown wire and note the voltage there, should be the same (28-35 volts dc).

Note, some meter probes have adapters that can be placed on the end to make testing easier. I have an alligator adaptor i can place on the end of each probe to clip them to the points I'm testing. You may eventually want to consider a kit like this that includes various adapters to facilitate testing: https://www.amazon.com/AideTek-Multimeter-TL809-multimeter-tester/dp/B01MZGWHPU/ref=mp_s_a_1_9

#14 3 years ago

If the playfield lights go out at "blackout", the relay coil circuit must be OK since the relay does pull in. So, as Inkochnito said, there must be something wrong with the GI wiring. According to the schematic, the "blackout" relay cuts power to all general illumination. Check that your yellow and white/yellow wires are connected like the schematic.
bo (resized).pngbo (resized).png

#15 3 years ago

Here are two images from my Blackout.
Please note that I modified the G.I. into 4 groups.
(2x 5A backbox insert, 1x 2A cabinet, 1x 10A playfield)
The 5V fuses are moved more to the right (above the transformer).
And I've added my Bridge Board insted of the bridge rectifiers and the big cap.

The second one if the connector at the power supply.

20200929_195016 (resized).jpg20200929_195016 (resized).jpg20200929_195027 (resized).jpg20200929_195027 (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago

From the looks of your images there should not be anything wroung.
All the GI wires look correct.

#17 3 years ago

The voltage is 36 at both lugs. And now the stupid question....where are 7P1, 8P2 and 9P1? Obviously all the yellow and Yellow/white go to the fuse card but I should think I need to track them back to where they originate.

#18 3 years ago

I think you took a measurement between ground and the yellow or yellow-white wire.....
You can't do it that way.
There is no ground connection in the G.I. section.
You need to measure between yellow and yellow-white at all times.
Always AC voltage, no DC.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from JustJohn:

The voltage is 36 at both lugs. And now the stupid question....where are 7P1, 8P2 and 9P1? Obviously all the yellow and Yellow/white go to the fuse card but I should think I need to track them back to where they originate.

Those are the connectors at the "neck" of the cabinet.
One goes to the bundle which goes to the playfield.
One goes to the cabinet and the last one to the backbox insert.

Because of this I split the 20A fuse into 4 smaller fuses.
Seperating the G.I. to the cabinet, insert and playfield.
Less fire hazards.
20A can do a lot of damage when burning....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blackout-mode-gi-lighting?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.