(Topic ID: 203605)

Williams Blackout Blowing Bulbs Out Instantly!

By goodstuff2u

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I recently purchased a Blackout project that was working when I bought it. Brought it home and now the playfield won't light at all but the lights in the head do. If it put new bulbs in the playfield and start the machine, they light up bright and instantly blow! The fuses do not blow. I have checked under the playfield for stray screws or other weird anomalies that could be causing a short but found nothing. I recently replaced the Power Supply with a new Rottendog and tested the bridge rectifiers to be good. I still have the problem.

Any thoughts on what could be happening? How do I test if too much power is going to the playfield?

#2 6 years ago

Check voltage on the sockets.

GI should be around 6VAC

#3 6 years ago

The GI is likely shorted with solenoid voltage somewhere.

One trouble spot can sometimes be the coin door harness near the hinge. Sometimes the insulation rubs through and you get shorts.

On the playfield, it could be anything. Something might be bent out of place, there could be a wiring hack, could be wiring that got caught near the edges of the playfield and the insulation rubbed through over time. It could be a coil lug/wire touching a bracket, and the bracket touching GI wiring.

Just go through carefully and inspect everything.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The GI is likely shorted with solenoid voltage somewhere.

Strange that the backglass wouldn't be blowing too though...

#5 6 years ago

Good point, they're on the same circuit--I missed that detail in the OP.

GI and feature lamps are on separate circuits, though.

Is it the GI bulbs that are blowing or the lamps for the inserts?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blackout-blowing-bulbs-out-instantly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.