By csab00

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi Guys,
i am struggling with my Blackout the background sound during the gameplay does not work.

All sound effect and speech are working.
There is a setting number 35 (Background Sound, Bonus multiplayer memory, Attract mode Sound)
where i have tried all more settings like 01, 03, 13 but the result is the same.
Factory default is 03.

I have changed the base sound board (without speech) to an another one, another type2 eprom also the same no background sound.

thanks for your feedback!

#2 5 years ago

Do all your sounds work in coil test?

#3 5 years ago

yes all sounds working from the coil test.

#4 5 years ago

from the coil test 9-13 are the sound effects all working.
May there are some additional setting or should be working as default ?

#5 5 years ago

I have had issues where the driver board jumpers are not set correctly. This will give the wrong or no background sound even though they all work in coil test.

1) Was this driver board the original board and worked ok with this one in the past?

2) Do you have another driver board you can swap and see if the problem continues?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

I have had issues where the driver board jumpers are not set correctly. This will give the wrong or no background sound even though they all work in coil test.
1) Was this driver board the original board and worked ok with this one in the past?
2) Do you have another driver board you can swap and see if the problem continues?

Which jumpers were those?

Quoted from csab00:

from the coil test 9-13 are the sound effects all working.
May there are some additional setting or should be working as default ?

There are many jumpers on the sound board that could affect things. can you check all the jumpers (W1, W2, etc) against the diagram in the manual? How do you have your dip switches set?

#7 5 years ago

The jumpers are used on the System 7 driver boards. Just make sure you are using a system 6 driver board. This is a mute issue though if it worked in the past with this driver board

Mike V

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

The jumpers are used on the System 7 driver boards. Just make sure you are using a system 6 driver board. This is a mute issue though if it worked in the past with this driver board
Mike V

I thought sys 7 only had them in the switch matrix?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

More
I thought sys 7 only had them in the switch matrix?

Yeah. I don't think they specifically have anything to do with the background sound but I had the wrong driver board in a Blackout and it was having the exact problems. It also had the wrong sounds on different switches. I found a system 6 driver board and that fixed it.

Although if this driver board worked fine in the past then this is not your problem

Mike V

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Yeah. I don't think they specifically have anything to do with the background sound but I had the wrong driver board in a Blackout and it was having the exact problems. It also had the wrong sounds on different switches. I found a system 6 driver board and that fixed it.
Although if this driver board worked fine in the past then this is not your problem
Mike V

i would have said the only difference is the switch matrix 0 ohm links replacing the resistors ... i have to wonder if what you had was simply a faulty driver board ( pia probably) and the second "system 6" one was just one that worked?

#11 5 years ago

I would have thought that too but the other system 7 one I tried did exactly the same thing. It was odd as it just choose the wrong sounds and no background sound. All sounds worked in the switch test and the game played fine. Speech worked fine too.

I've noticed the new combo reproduction board is having issue with sound for system 7 games and now doesnt support it.

I think there is something else different in the System 7 for sound.

Mike V

#12 5 years ago

The driver board is not from this machine the original one was burn out.
On the new one i have changed the interconnect board, tested all PIA output with Leon test eprom, wrong transistors were replaced.

The jumper settings on the Sound board are correct (W2,5,7,9,10,15).

As far as i know the only difference between System 3-6 and 7 driver board that System 7 has zero ohm jumpers for the input switches instead of the resistors.
My driver board has the resistors.

#13 5 years ago

ive got a gorgar coming in with the same problem ( in its case no heartbeat) .. will let you know what caused it when it arrives and i find out myself.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

I've noticed the new combo reproduction board is having issue with sound for system 7 games and now doesnt support it.

System 7 doesn't use the driver board for sound

Quoted from csab00:

The jumper settings on the Sound board are correct (W2,5,7,9,10,15).

Dip switches?

2 weeks later
#15 5 years ago

FYI in my case with gorgar the board needed a new 7442, a new cpu and one of the input gates as well.. the cpu was still capable of "press the test switch" demo but no longer understood inputs. no idea what caused it but it was ultimately a cpu issue with the 6808.

1 year later
#16 4 years ago

I’m having a similar problem. I got a new rotten dog board cause my old board was fried. Everything working but background sound/music?! Any solution found?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blackout-background-sound?hl=croppie1kenobi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.