Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by HHaase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Every thing works great untill alot of games are played then i start to lose my speech. I have replaced my sound and speech card with brand new ones which made it better but after a dozen games or so the speech gets garbled. Would a faulty power supply cause this?

#2 12 years ago

So the longer it heats up... that's when things go bad...

I can see why no one has helped you yet on this problem!

Q. Anything running hot?

-Aaron

Tech support: Iowa Pinball Club

#3 12 years ago

I once had to replace the actual amplifier chip (5 prong) on my now-sold Gorgar. It would fade out after a spell. While I was at it I updated a few caps. Worth a thought at least.

#4 12 years ago

Tried 2 different sets of new sound and speech roms. In self diagnostic it works fine even after it has played awhile. If i power down after it does this it will work for a game or two then start to garble words again so maybe it is not heat. Not sure how to check if anything is running hot. Put a small fan in the box and played like this and it still did it.

#5 12 years ago

Good job trying to isolate the problem! I'd assume its not the boards or chips. How about the connectors to them. A cold solder joint can cause this!

-Aaron

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from IowaPinballClub:

Good job trying to isolate the problem! I'd assume its not the boards or chips. How about the connectors to them. A cold solder joint can cause this!
-Aaron

Probably is the solder joints.

You could always fork over a few bucks and send the boards out for repairs. They'll replace old parts etc too making the boards much more reliable.

#7 12 years ago

So would you do all the boards or just start with one and which one? Not sure what that would cost compared to just buying new boards. I am contemplating resoldering myself but have never done it and am a little nervous on trying. I guess i could try and when i wreck the boards i could then buy new ones. I have my old speech and sound boards i could pratice on.

#8 12 years ago

Well I usually wait until something occurs before sending out all boards..

here, you seem to be having problems with just your speech/sound board. I'd probably contact coin op cauldron and ask his advice. Clive does great work.

He may wanna look at the power board depending on your situation. I'd email him, give him your issues, and ask him which boards might be needing repair.

#9 12 years ago

Also, make sure that your cpu is attached by all the screws to the backbox. Missing screws messes up the ground.. and can lead to strange problems.

#10 12 years ago

Thanks for the replys. I will try the connections and make sure the boards are grounded. Blackbeard now that you mentioned screws to the backbox i think there is a few missing. I know there was a few stripped on the sound board but i replaced them. Maybe that is why the new sound board works better? I will take a look when i get home. This is my first pinball machine and i bought it for too much because i remember playing blackout when it was brand new in the arcades. I think my machine has been in a few arcades lol. It was pretty rough but cleaned up nice. I am learning as i go so any advice i will take.

#11 12 years ago

It would be funny to find out that Slimmer just has several screws loose! lol! Seriously, I've NEVER seen that grounding problem!

-Aaron

#12 12 years ago

I had a gorgar that had some controlled lights out that was remedied by not having my ground braid attached.

I've read a lot about the lack of screws in the boards and it causing problems.

#13 12 years ago

Don't get me wrong. The Grounding wire is important! Screws... not so much.

-Aaron

#14 12 years ago

Without those screws attached, the ground isn't as complete as it should be.

I'd add screws!

#15 12 years ago

Black beard you may be a genius unlike me. 1 screw missing on the cpu and 2 on the power supply. Played for over 1 hour tonight (just to try it out) lol, and the old girl talked to me the whole time. So far so good but friday will be the challange as the game will probily get played lots then. Thank you and Iowa for responding i will probily be back so i need all the help i can get.

#16 12 years ago

Well that's promising news. Hopefully it was just a bad ground connection between the boards and the backbox.

Keep us posted. And if it reverts back to no sound again don't panic.

#17 12 years ago

I've heard a lot of people say that the grounding isn't important, because there is always a ground wire. However, about 80% of the time somebody says they have garbled sound, it turns out to be missing screws.The board may have a ground wire, but all of the boards also have a perimiter ground plane that goes through the screws and mounts, and then into the metal paneling on the inside of the backbox.

Nearly every manufacturer has a similar scheme to their board grounding. The one that didn't? Gottlieb. Now, what does EVERY repair guide say is step 1 on old gottlieb machines? To build up an interconnected grounding network like everybody else had.

With Williams machines it shows up in the sound boards, particulary those that have speech boards mounted that have three op-amps in a chain that are amplifying any stray garbage signals.

-Hans

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blackout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.