Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Quercus22
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Big Strike Coin relay (resized).jpg

#1 7 days ago

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a Williams Big Strike which is not resetting correctly.
I have rebuilt the score reels which were gummed up, they now score and reset correctly, the ball count unit was also gummed up, I have cleaned it and replaced the springs and it now steps up and down smoothly.
I have been through the motor board and score motor and cleaned and checked the gaps on all the switches and all seems ok.
What is causing me some head scratching is that there is a switch in the backbox to select 7 ball play or 5 ball play or add a ball play (which I assume should give 5 balls initially?)
At the start of a game, on the add a ball setting it gives 7 balls, on the 5 ball setting it gives 7 balls and on the 7 ball setting it gives 2 balls, this is consistant and has me baffled.
I have watched the game reset and the strange thing it does on the 5 ball setting and the add a ball setting is that the relay bank reset coil pulls in twice, this is when the two extra balls are added to the ball count unit. My thinking is that as the score motor is turning at this point it is closing the "pulse ball count unit" switch an extra 2 times.
On the 7 ball setting the relay bank only resets once which seems normal but only 2 balls are added to the ball count unit.
The schematic is on the IPDB and I have checked everything which looks relevent but with no success, if anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks, Richard

#2 7 days ago

I think the problem is with how long your Coin relay is staying active in the various settings. The Coin relay will help determine how many times the Ball Count Unit is advanced. Here are three versions of the Coin relay circuit for the three adjustment positions:
Big Strike Coin relay (resized).jpg
In all three scenarios the Coin relay fires when the 5 or 10 cent switch closes and is held on by its own lock in switch in red. The Coin relay should stay on until an appropriate number of balls have been added and then it should release.

In the bottom of the three scenarios the adjustment switch is in the 7 ball play position. In that case the path in red through the Ball Count Unit keeps the Coin relay active through a complete Score Motor cycle while 5 balls are added to the Ball Count Unit (with pulses from the Score Motor not shown). At the end of the first Score Motor cycle the Ball Count is at 5 so the Coin relay (and Score Motor) stay active. At the beginning of the 2nd Score Motor cycle two more balls are added to the Ball Count so the path in red opens and no longer keeps the Coin relay active. Instead the two Normally Closed Score Motor switches (5D and 2C) keep the Coin relay active until the 2C switch opens up just after the 2nd pulse of the 2nd Score Motor cycle adds the 7th ball to the Ball Count Unit.

If you're only getting two balls in this scenario I suspect that the path in red through the Ball Count Unit and adjustment switch is not working so the Coin relay lets go after the Score Motor 2C switch opens during the 1st Score Motor cycle instead of holding through the entire first Score Motor cycle.

In the first two scenarios the adjustment switch should just remove the Score Motor 2C switch from the circuit so that the Coin relay always relaxes at the end of the first Score Motor cycle after 5 balls have been added. In your case the Coin relay is likely staying active longer than it should and letting the Score Motor run into a second cycle. It may be that the Score Motor 5C switch isn't opening properly or that the path through the Ball Count Unit from the bottom scenario is somehow being connected which it shouldn't be.

I'd recommend checking the wiring of all three positions of that adjustment switch with a meter. Note that everything shown is in the 120 volt circuit so you want to do that with the game unplugged. I think it's likely that the mode adjustment switch is somehow mangled or maladjusted so that the wrong connections are being made through the switch.

/Mark

#3 6 days ago

Mark - thanks for your clear and detailed explanation, I now have a much better understanding of how it works.

I had a closer look at the adjustment switch, it has 3 layers, the bottom layer is the one we are concerned with here, on one side of the switch the 3 terminals are tied together and there is an orange wire connected to the centre terminal, this orange wire connects to the coin relay circuit as shown on the schematic.
On the other side of the switch, there are three terminals, two of which are tied together, there is a green wire connected to one of the tied together terminals - this does not look right, as the schematic shows the green wire connected to the terminal which is not tied to another terminal, showing this as the only setting which goes through the ball count unit.
I also noticed the solder joint on the green wire was a bit messy. I unsoldered the green wire and connected it to the single terminal, started a game and it gives 7 balls as it should - progress!
The other two terminals now have no wires going to them, the schematic shows a wire, probably yellow, connected to one of the terminals, so I looked at the wiring harness and tucked away was a cut off yellow wire, I soldered this to one of the tied together terminals and the game now gives 5 balls on the 5 ball setting and 5 balls on the regular play(add a ball) setting.
Why someone would have modified the game like this is a mystery to me.

Your help is much appreciated as this was driving me mad, thanks again.

Richard

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 29.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 29.99
$ 79.00
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Maple Street Sign Shop
Lighting - Interactive
TheDudeMods
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 64.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside