(Topic ID: 273966)

Williams Big Guns one flipper not working.

By Mibagent_x

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper_circuit.jpg
wrong_way.jpg
flipper_power_wires.jpg
aux_power_board.jpg
IMG_20200727_143921 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200727_144107 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200727_142257 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Got a big guns that is suddenly not firering a flipper, lower right. I rebuilt the lowers a few weeks ago and they worked perfectly after. I finally got around to rebuilding the uppers and replacing the flipper buttons the other day. I made may repairs and buttoned everything up and no lower right flipper. Tested for voltage and nothing. I was getting intermittent firing of the upper right during trying to figure out what went wrong. So I decided to replace the ceramic caps and double leaf switch. I tested the coil and discovered it was bad so I replaced it. Still no love. I checked for continuity from the leaf switch and coil and I have that. Pulled the MPU to reflow J19 but looked fine as pictured but did it anyway. Looking at the schematics I am trying to chase down the path from the mpu but I have no idea where 8j3 or 7p1 are. Also all the fusses I can fined tested as good.

What do I need to look at next?

Don't mind the hot glue. I "potted" a noisy inductor.

IMG_20200727_142257 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_142257 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_143921 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_143921 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_144107 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_144107 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Is the jack next to the inductor installed backwards?

#3 3 years ago

Everything is plugged in correctly AFAIK. It is keyed and faces the same way as the others. Now on J19 the plug is split. Pins 1 & 2 are not connected to the rest. But I am confident that connector is correct. It was operating until the one flipper stopped. Didn't even have the back back open when doing the flippers.

#4 3 years ago

So I made a trip to my electronic component supplier and picked up the 12 transistors in the flipper circuit. They didn't have the tip122 but an equivalent. Was thinking replacing the 6 of them and just the one 2N4401 on the affected flipper line. I got the relay as well but don't really want to replace that unless I have to. That's a lot of damn pins on a device. Or am I driving down the wrong hole?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Mibagent_x:

Tested for voltage and nothing.

You need to fix this first. Without voltage no current will flow.

aux_power_board.jpgaux_power_board.jpg

flipper_power_wires.jpgflipper_power_wires.jpg

Quoted from Mibagent_x:

So I made a trip to my electronic component supplier and picked up the 12 transistors in the flipper circuit. They didn't have the tip122 but an equivalent. Was thinking replacing the 6 of them and just the one 2N4401 on the affected flipper line. I got the relay as well but don't really want to replace that unless I have to. That's a lot of damn pins on a device. Or am I driving down the wrong hole?

wrong_way.jpgwrong_way.jpg

The flippers are directly switched (not transistor switched).

flipper_circuit.jpgflipper_circuit.jpg

#6 3 years ago

Pins 2, 4, 6, & 11 on 5J12 have around 75volts.

#7 3 years ago

The BLU-YEL wire that connects the 2 right flipper coils together is in question. Check it’s solder connections and try jumpering it out.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks guys. The diagram DumbAss posted of the circuit side by side helped. Guess I didn't look far enough in the manual to see it. Corroded wire where someone nicked the wire. I must have moved something just right doing the rebuilds. Saved me some unnecessary soldering on the MPU. Now I have start to a collection of spare parts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-big-guns-one-flipper-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.