(Topic ID: 181212)

Williams "Big Deal" (1977) - score reels not resetting.

By Beatnik-Filmstar

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2030[1] (resized).JPG
0Big-Deal-Manual-p34-Work (resized).jpg
crop (resized).png
crop (resized).png
IMG_2023 (resized).JPG
IMG_2022 (resized).JPG
0Cabaret-Manual-p15 (resized).jpg
0Big-Deal-Work-02 (resized).jpg
0Big-Deal-Work-01 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 1.55.46 PM (resized).png
PLAYERUNIT (resized).jpg
IMG_1857 (resized).JPG
IMG_1856 (resized).JPG
IMG_1855 (resized).JPG
IMG_0815 (resized).JPG
IMG_1848 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chum43.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

First - occasionally the double bonus will be lit at the start of a ball when it shouldn't be. Immediately noticed that the double bonus relay was getting stuck when it's being reset at the start of a ball. I assume this won't be too hard to fix on my own.

I fought a similar issue with a Williams StratoFlite a while back. It turned out it was a mechanical issue rather than a sticky switch or something. The re-set bar that reset the relays was just not pushing it back far enough and thereby leaving the bonus light on.

#18 7 years ago

And the double bonus relay seems to be working a bit better now. Didn't actually adjust anything - just manually running the reset bar a few times seemed to get it working consistently

The bar on my StratoFlite was worn at some of the pivots I believe and it gave me fits trying to figure it out. In the end, at the recommendation of another pinsider who had a similar issue, I ended up putting a cable tie where the bar contacted the relay just to give it that extra couple of millimeters of throw. It never did it again after that. I see that your double bonus is on the end on the Coil side, where my trouble was the other end of the bar at the end as well. Good luck!!

1 week later
#33 7 years ago

Just a thought... I fought a bonus stepper on a Williams Stratoflight a while back for about a year. Bonus would count up and down but at start of a new ball it had to advance from 0 to 1. That's where mine was failing. After messing with spring tension, assembly and reassembly a billion times it turned out to be the coil.
Did it work...yes. But not strong enough. That was the catch. I had cleaned it before but it had a metal sleeve which was stuck in the coil. Once I put new coil with a plastic sleeve in it worked like a champ. Never failed again.

Just mentioning this after reading about the spring tension and finding middle ground. I did that battle too many times and never won it.

At if the spring is wound X number of times (The number it was wound before I started.) the reset coil works fine. But the step up coil will advance to position two, but then not be strong enough to get it to three.
If I unwind the spring to X-1 winds - the step up works fine, but the reset coil isn't strong enough to reset it.
Doesn't seem to be any middle ground. I could get it to reset by loosening the nut holding the contacts wheel in place on the other side, but then there's too much play in the contact wheel and it doesn't consistently stay lined up right.

#37 7 years ago

Thanks Chum43! So simple, but it worked.

Great to hear!!!

You can thank EMsinKC for helping me find this problem two years ago.

2 weeks later
#50 7 years ago

Just curious... When it try's to score 500 and you only get 2 or 300 or whatever.... Is the coil actually firing 5 times? Or does it fire just the 2 or 3?
It just sounds suspiciously like a bad coil/ plunger and it only managing to partially complete its job. If it fires 5 times and you only get 2 or 300....Maybe try watching it and see...

#52 7 years ago

Sorry ..yes... Score reel coil. I just ask because alot of times it is just worn parts not performing properly. Just watch it and see if it tries to fire 5 times. If it does and still only get 2 or 3 hundred at least youll know where to look.

#57 7 years ago

Very interesting. I'm perplexed that the reels try to move although weakly and I would assume bad coil but you are saying it resets at start of game correctly suggesting a good stroke on the plunger. Hmmmmm

#59 7 years ago

If you are getting a strong reset on the reels, I guess a good place to start looking is by following the contact points for regular scoring. It is a fairly simple path. Check and clean and ensure good contact at these points.
100Pt relay Switch 1D This will send to the Player unit for the appropriate player then to the appropriate players score reel coil to step up the reel.

crop (resized).pngcrop (resized).png

#60 7 years ago

i think I would look hardest at the 100 pt relay 1 D first off. Seems to be the first point of commonality.

crop (resized).pngcrop (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chum43.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-big-deal-1977-score-reels-not-resetting?tu=chum43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.