20200614_200026 (resized).jpg
20200614_200031 (resized).jpg
20200614_200114 (resized).jpg
RashUnselfishHummingbird-size_restricted.gif
MVIMG_20200203_213316 (resized).jpg
DSCN6640 (resized).JPG
DSCN6634 (resized).JPG
DSCN6631 (resized).JPG
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

It's a super neat game we are all playing regularly. Fortunately it was all working when I got it, but it is on the to do list to shop it out and rebuild the pop bumpers to make it even more snappy.

I did some work on the flippers and it has a unique setup that uses one coil for each side with a long link between them. Besides the link, the only other unique part is one lever on each side has a slightly longer pin to hold two links.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's a super neat game we are all playing regularly. Fortunately it was all working when I got it, but it is on the to do list to shop it out and rebuild the pop bumpers to make it even more snappy.
I did some work on the flippers and it has a unique setup that uses one coil for each side with a long link between them. Besides the link, the only other unique part is one lever on each side has a slightly longer pin to hold two links.

I have no idea what I’m up against because I picked it up at an estate sale online. “It lights up and needs a new switch” is what I was told by some southern real estate gentleman. Upon further inspection By the person who picked it up for me the “switch “ was actually a light switch that missing out of a gang box that was attached to the back of the head that was rigged as a power switch. Who knows I might get lucky and change out the cord, add credits and play but I doubt it.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I have no idea what I’m up against because I picked it up at an estate sale online. “It lights up and needs a new switch” is what I was told by some southern real estate gentleman. Upon further inspection By the person who picked it up for me the “switch “ was actually a light switch that missing out of a gang box that was attached to the back of the head that was rigged as a power switch. Who knows I might get lucky and change out the cord, add credits and play but I doubt it.

As long as the playfield and plastics are good, and a backglass is at least available, the rest is incidentals.

I bought a classic arcades plexi glass and although it took two to get a good one, I must say he was some of the best customer service I've ever dealt with.

It's not a $300 Shay, but he is trying. And it looks pretty darn good.

#54 4 years ago

I got lucky with the backglass. The plastics need to be flattened a bit which is no big deal.

2CCE4024-3A44-49F6-8C9B-B1A6CAECDD0A (resized).jpeg2CCE4024-3A44-49F6-8C9B-B1A6CAECDD0A (resized).jpeg
#55 4 years ago

My backglass was presentable but had some of the traditional fading in the red. The replacement turned out to be better than expected. Colors really pop. Price was certainly right.

#56 4 years ago

o-din Maybe this is a dumb question but what happens if you lock the 5th ball straight out of the shooter lane? Does a ball come from the balls played trough or is there actually 6 balls loaded into the machine in case that happens? I’m just curious so when I pick up the machine and load the machine with balls.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

o-din Maybe this is a dumb question but what happens if you lock the 5th ball straight out of the shooter lane? Does a ball come from the balls played trough or is there actually 6 balls loaded into the machine in case that happens? I’m just curious so when I pick up the machine and load the machine with balls.

Not mine, but can you read this? They got it all figured out.

image-29 (resized).jpgimage-29 (resized).jpg
#58 4 years ago

I don’t think that answers the question does it? Unless I’m missing something. I looked through Inkochnitos site and IPDB and can’t find anything either.

#59 4 years ago

Last ball left goes in in star hole and advances clock 5 positions then kicks out of hole back into play where you are free to do it again.

With any other balls left it stays in hole until it either gets released by a ball in play or the second to last ball drains, then the ball in the star advances the clock 5 positions and is released.

#60 4 years ago

Thanks.That’s what I figured initially before even asking you.Reading the card again it makes sense. Living off a few hours of sleep a day sometimes makes me a little slow on the uptake.

#61 4 years ago

It's four or five clicks or positions between numbers on the clock.

So you have to get multiball rocking if you want it to advance.

3 months later
#62 4 years ago

So now that I have Beat The Clock back together, I have decided to address the clock operation. From the factory, the clock does not reset, so any game started, the clock will be in the position it was at when the last game ended. When the clock gets to 12 it lites the 6 on the clock for special, and the two outer kickout holes for special thru a setup relay. Only getting a kickout hole special will reset the relay and turn those lights off.

For location play this would be great, giving the player an incentive to drop another coin if the hand on the clock is anywhere near 12. However, I use all my games for competition and earning a special is part of that. The way my game came modded, the clock would reset to around 7, and go around and max out at 6, sometimes causing the coil to lock on. Now, it's rare in a game the clock goes all the way around, but it does happen.

So I took this idea and decided to try to improve upon it, by using the correct parts from a resettable stepper and adding a few switches and a relay. It took a lot more time than I thought it would but the end result is now the clock will start at 7, get to 6 and score the special if it is lit, then reset to 7 and start over again.

What happened was after I was done, it worked great during the game, but I had to find another way to reset it at startup, so the four switch reset relay became a five switch relay and the one unused backbox jones plug was the perfect place to attach the wire. All works great now.
DSCN6631 (resized).JPGDSCN6631 (resized).JPGDSCN6634 (resized).JPGDSCN6634 (resized).JPG

#63 4 years ago

10 games in and this is the closest I got to 12. Working on this thing kicked my ass. Hope I can make it to The Invaders tonight.
DSCN6640 (resized).JPGDSCN6640 (resized).JPG

#64 4 years ago

I didn't make it to 12 on the game, but made it thru The Invaders which started a 12. Love that show. But I couldn't tell you what happened on it.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But there is a reason somebody did this and it may not be the only one. Probably to cut down on free replays.

its still pretty difficult to get a free play , keeping both balls in play with flipper set up is difficult

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

its still pretty difficult to get a free play

Tell me about it.

#67 4 years ago

Quick question:
How in the hell do you get the backglass out?

I don't have the head attached so it makes it a little more squirrely but it doesn't seem to drop down like a wedge head and there is no room for it to go up enough to clear the back board. I even took off the top brackets but everything is so close at the bottom, I don't want to drag the glass against the wood.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Also, here's a glimpse of my machine. Man, I love the art on this thing!
MVIMG_20200203_213316 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200203_213316 (resized).jpg

#68 4 years ago

I agree, the artwork is typical of the era, particularly with the space rockets. I acquired one recently and am looking forward to restoring it at some point in time.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

How in the hell do you get the backglass out?

You will need to remove the lightboard and hinges and the stops that the light board rest on. It is what it is.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You will need to remove the lightboard and hinges and the stops that the light board rest on. It is what it is.

Okay. Thanks. That is what it looked like. I was really hoping that wasn't the case but my Globe Trotter is the same way. I feel better knowing I'm not missing something. I appreciate it.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Okay. Thanks. That is what it looked like. I was really hoping that wasn't the case but my Globe Trotter is the same way. I feel better knowing I'm not missing something. I appreciate it.

Annoying as hell. Did you buy a repro?

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Annoying as hell. Did you buy a repro?

No, it's original. It is damaged at the bottom but the rest is in good shape. I was just going to touch it up but since I have to take everything out I may wait until I repaint the head.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't make it to 12 on the game, but made it thru The Invaders which started a 12. Love that show. But I couldn't tell you what happened on it.

David Vincent foiled the Invaders plans again, yet they persist.

Seriously though, I don't understand how Me TV has copies of The Invaders that look (much) worse than the DVD's.

1 week later
#74 4 years ago
RashUnselfishHummingbird-size_restricted.gifRashUnselfishHummingbird-size_restricted.gif
3 months later
#75 3 years ago

Could any of you owners snap a picture of the replay unit? Mine has both cool wiring snipped off. I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out but there is an extra wire I'm not sure on.
Thanks, and no rush!

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Could any of you owners snap a picture of the replay unit? Mine has both cool wiring snipped off. I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out but there is an extra wire I'm not sure on.
Thanks, and no rush!

In the meantime, I couldn't find any good gameplay videos of this machine so I made one. Hope you like it.

#77 3 years ago

Great video . I have one of these in for restoration and am looking forward to playing it!

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Thanks, and no rush!

Give me a day or two and I'll dig mine out and take images of it for you.

#79 3 years ago

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

Give me a day or two and I'll dig mine out and take images of it for you.

That's great, thanks!

Quoted from o-din:

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I think of this as the Beat The Clock club thread now.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

In the meantime, I couldn't find any good gameplay videos of this machine so I made one. Hope you like it.

Nice vid. I have mine set up a bit steeper I think, but it was cool to see you demonstrate multiball and the wild geometry and flippers this game has.

Thanks!

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nice vid. I have mine set up a bit steeper I think, but it was cool to see you demonstrate multiball and the wild geometry and flippers this game has.
Thanks!

Thanks!

I am torn on making mine steeper. I may raise it a touch. I like the sort of drifty feel but it may be a bit much as it sits now.

#83 3 years ago

I had one game on mine about a week ago where I won a replay just about every way possible. Had that clock ringing almost the entire game. When I start multiball, I always try to knock the balls as far back up the playfield as I can. Sometimes with success.

#84 3 years ago

Pictures, as promised. The cable colours aren't too good but if these still dont make it clear, then I'll clean the wires up to help. Just ask if need be

This one sure does need a lot of tlc before it is up and running again, look how greasy and dirty it is

20200614_200026 (resized).jpg20200614_200026 (resized).jpg20200614_200031 (resized).jpg20200614_200031 (resized).jpg20200614_200114 (resized).jpg20200614_200114 (resized).jpg20200614_200008.jpg20200614_200008.jpg

#85 3 years ago

Wow, those will be a great help! Thanks so much!

Edit: these definitely help but the wires I really need to see are the wires to the coils themselves. Especially where the wire in the pic comes from and goes to. I think that wire is missing from mine.
If it is a pain I totally understand. The pictures you posted are definitely better than nothing. Thanks again!

c351a0857a65d5aacdf914947138a785d9a6112b~2 (resized).jpgc351a0857a65d5aacdf914947138a785d9a6112b~2 (resized).jpg
#86 3 years ago

Ok. When I get in from work, I'll clean everything and give better detailed images to the area you've highlighted. Let's get this thing working!

#87 3 years ago

Let's get this thing working!

Thank! Full disclosure, the only thing not working is the replay stepper. Someone cut the wires to put make it free play.

#88 3 years ago

Ok, I hope these help you get the replay counter problem sorted out. If you look, one coil feeds to the next and you should be able to see how the wires are coming out of the main loom. But If you are still stuck, then let me know and we will use plan B.
Doug.

20200617_084055.jpg20200617_084055.jpg20200617_084102.jpg20200617_084102.jpg20200617_084110.jpg20200617_084110.jpg20200617_084116.jpg20200617_084116.jpg20200617_084123 (resized).jpg20200617_084123 (resized).jpg20200617_084127 (resized).jpg20200617_084127 (resized).jpg
#89 3 years ago

Ok, I hope these help you get the replay counter problem sorted out. If you look, one coil feeds to the next and you should be able to see how the wires are coming out of the main loom. But If you are still stuck, then let me know and we will use plan B.
Doug.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now those will be perfect! I really appreciate you taking the time to get those.

I know it is minor but having the replays not advance when you win a game really bugged me.

#90 3 years ago

Great stuff!

Let's hope you get the issue fixed now. If you need more info, etc just ask.

Best. Doug.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-beat-the-clock-clock-operation/page/2?hl=murphdom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.