Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

855-enriched (resized).jpg
0Aztec-Work-11 (resized).jpg
0Aztec-Work-10 (resized).jpg
extra ball relay aztec (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hey all - back working on my Aztec. All the multiplayer issues and everything else have been solved, so everything seems great on that front. The last item I've noticed that's a bit odd is that when an extra ball is rewarded via in-game achievement, the game gives the player 3 extra balls instead of just one. It seems to be the same every time.

Here's the scenario:

- Player spells A-Z-T-E-C, which lights the center "extra ball" target. Upon hitting the extra ball target, the "Same Player Shoots Again" lights up on the backbox, as does the light near the drain with the same label.

- Ball drains, pops back into shooting lane. "Same Player Shoots Again" lights are still on. Play ball, points are scored, but Same Player Shoots Again lights stay on. Ball drains, lights still stay on, ball pops back into shooting lane. After the 3rd time, the lights go out, and when the ball drains the game advances to the next ball (or player) per usual.

- I've cleaned the extra ball relay and some other related relays, still no luck. There are no other issues with ball advancement or player advancement.

Rolf had mentioned a while ago (in my other thread about multiplayer issues on this pin) that Williams designed some mechanisms strangely (or poorly) with this pin. I recall him saying something about the requirements for the extra ball being finicky and causing issues. Anyone have thoughts on what might be causing it to work, but always 3 times instead of just one extra ball?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Have you checked the alternator switch on the match unit?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Have you checked the alternator switch on the match unit?

No, I didn't notice that it might be related. I'll go take a look!

#4 7 years ago

Hopefully I'm not misinterpreting the schematic..

extra ball relay aztec (resized).jpgextra ball relay aztec (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Hi Max, bonzo
The "No. Match Alt. Switch" TEXT belongs to the switch BELOW (in the circuitry). Here is the snippet of schematics - text to come, greetings Rolf

0Aztec-Work-10 (resized).jpg0Aztec-Work-10 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Rolf is correct. Sorry for any confusion..

#7 7 years ago

Hi Max
some theory - the manufacturers WANT the "information light" "Hey, You made an Extraball" STAY for a long time - UNTIL that extraball is launched. Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2408&picno=22602 in the shooter alley You see a wire-form- Roll-Over-goodie*** - the easiest way to turn-off the "information light Extraball": THIS goodie does open a switch when the ball rolls over it - in Your Aztec the "turn-off" is made another way.

Bally and Williams are generous - a new ball is given - You launch the ball - it enters the playfield - You loose the ball NOT making a point on the Score-Drum --- SAME ball is given (NO stepping to next player / next ball). Gottlieb is not so generous - this ONLY works in "FIRST Player, FIRST Ball". Bally and Williams make this using the Ball-Index-Relay. Your Aztec is special - on Your Aztec You launch a ball - You MAKE some points. BUT THE FEATURE is there in the pin --- please try: Start a new game ... ball is kicked over into the shooter alley - NOW YOU take the ball and place the ball on the Outhole and let drain the ball --- question: DOES Your pin gives the SAME ball to the shooter alley ?

You launch the ball and You make some points - look at the Ball-Index-Relay in the cabinet - question: Does it pull-in and stay pulling ?
Important: You play a bit and the loose the ball - the pin counts down the bonus and changes to next ball, kicks the ball out AND MAKES THE BALL-INDEX-RELAY QUIT pulling --- HOW about in YOUR pin ? DOES the Ball-Index-Relay really QUITS pulling ? IF (if) "STAYS pulling": Please report - an fault to be fixed. In behalf of troubleshooting: I wait for Your answer.

Here the text to the JPG in post-5 --- a NEW ball is given to the shooter alley (therefore the Ball-Index-Relay is NOT YET pulling) - You launch the ball and make some points - "light-green 1, 2, 3 make the Ball-Index-Relay (light-green-4) pull-in --- if You bang a Tilt and the Tilt-Relay pulls-in: light-green-5 makes the "light-green-4" pull-in. "Self-Hold-Current" is established through "dark-green-6, -7, -8". When You loose the ball and the pin steps to next ball: At some time the "dark-green-7 opens - stays open and then the turning Score-Motor also opens "dark-green-8": The Ball-Index-Relay let go.

You play a ball - have made some points so the Ball-Index-Relay is steady pulling - You play good and through "light-blue-1, -2, -3" You get the information "Extraball, pulling light-blue-3" - "Self-Hold-Current" is established "Dark-blue-4, -5, (-6)".
You loose the "ball in play" - "Extraball is lit" - pin makes the Ball-Index-Relay LET GO (((pin does not step to next player / next ball))) - pin gives You the EXTRABALL - You launch it and make points: NOW the PULLING "Extraball-Relay" - therefore "OPEN Switch-light-green-3" HINDERS the Ball-Index-Relay to pull-in. Well - as You make points - "dark-Blue-6 OPENS" and BECAUSE the Ball-Index-Relay is NOT YET pulling: The Extraball-Relay looses Self-Hold-Current as "dark-blue-5 AND dark-blue-6" are open.
You make the again, second time some points: NOW the Ball-Index-Relay can pull-in (as light-green-3 is no longer open).
wire-form- Roll-Over-goodie*** - I believe: In Student Prince it is used for "to close the 'TOP GATE' ", greetings Rolf

#8 7 years ago

Hi Rolf! I will do my best to go through each test and reply:

please try: Start a new game ... ball is kicked over into the shooter alley - NOW YOU take the ball and place the ball on the Outhole and let drain the ball --- question: DOES Your pin gives the SAME ball to the shooter alley ?

Yes, the game stays on the same ball when I perform the above action.

You launch the ball and You make some points - look at the Ball-Index-Relay in the cabinet - question: Does it pull-in and stay pulling ?

Yes, as soon as a point is scored, the Ball Index Relay pulls and stays pulling.

Important: You play a bit and the loose the ball - the pin counts down the bonus and changes to next ball, kicks the ball out AND MAKES THE BALL-INDEX-RELAY QUIT pulling --- HOW about in YOUR pin ?
DOES the Ball-Index-Relay really QUITS pulling ? IF (if) "STAYS pulling": Please report - an fault to be fixed. In behalf of troubleshooting: I wait for Your answer.

The Ball Index Relay stops pulling when I lose the ball (after scoring some points), and the ball count goes to the next ball as it should.

#9 7 years ago

You loose the "ball in play" - "Extraball is lit" - pin makes the Ball-Index-Relay LET GO (((pin does not step to next player / next ball))) - pin gives You the EXTRABALL - You launch it and make points: NOW the PULLING "Extraball-Relay" - therefore "OPEN Switch-light-green-3" HINDERS the Ball-Index-Relay to pull-in. Well - as You make points - "dark-Blue-6 OPENS" and BECAUSE the Ball-Index-Relay is NOT YET pulling: The Extraball-Relay looses Self-Hold-Current as "dark-blue-5 AND dark-blue-6" are open.
You make the again, second time some points: NOW the Ball-Index-Relay can pull-in (as light-green-3 is no longer open).
wire-form- Roll-Over-goodie***

I think the problem might be in this area. The game correctly follows what you described until this portion of your information. Here's what happens:

Game is being played, correct target sequence is accomplished (A, Z, T, E, C targets are all hit). Once all of these targets are hit, the Set Up Relay will pull and hold. The Center Target lights up with "Extra Ball When Lit". I hit the Center Target, which triggers the Center Target Relay.

This completes Light Blue 1 & 2, causing Extra Ball Relay (Light blue 3) to pull as you described. "Same Player Shoots Again" lights up

When I lose the ball in play, the Extra Ball Relay continues to pull. The Ball Index Relay does NOT stop pulling. It stays pulling. For the sequence to work as you described, it needs to let go when the ball drains. We know that it works normally without the Extra Ball involved, but something is stopping it from letting go once an extra ball is scored.

The strange part is that if I launch the ball and score points, after the 3rd ball is launched, points scored, and the ball is lost, the Ball Index Relay will let go as it should.

#10 7 years ago

Hi Max
The following text I have written NOT knowing Your post-9. I will study post-9 tomorrow as it is by now AFTER midnight ..., greetings Rolf

The text:
Hi Max
great - the pin acts "normal as should (playing a regular ball)".
Look here http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/119/Williams_1976_Aztec_Instruction_Manual.pdf on page-22 (ori-20): Switch-C (see the colors of the wires - see the text) - Switch-C on Extraball-Relay MUST BE TRUELY OPEN when the relay is pulling. IN YOUR PIN ? Look for drop of solder fallen at "place the wires are soldered-on" - also look for crap wire (maybe thin as an dog-hair).
This Switch-C is "JPG in post-5, my light-green-3 switch".

Play a ball - make points - then gain an Extraball - Extraball-Relay pulls-in and stay pulling --- You loose the regular ball ... Ball-Index-Relay let go, the ball comes as "now You play the earned Extraball" - You make 10 points: Ball-Index-Relay shall NOT pull-in (as my light-green-3-switch IS OPEN) - the Extraball-Relay shall "let go" - then You make again 10 points - NOW the Ball-Index-Relay shall pull-in.

In Switzerland (south of Germany) it is close to nidnight - time to go to sleep - till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

#11 7 years ago

Hi Max
a question to Your last sentence in post-9 "The strange part ... " - do I read correct when I read: "I gain an Extraball - I see this because the "Extraball-Light is lit" - I loose the regular ball - pin counts down the bonus and resets playfield stuff and gives the Extraball (no stepping on the ball) , "Extraball-Light is lit" - I launch the ball - make points - "Extraball-Light faulty stays lit" - I play and then loose this ball - bonus is counted down etc. - ball is faulty given again (as Extraball). Fault is repeated --- fault is repeated - and NOW - miracle, miracle: The Extraball-Light turns off and the pin acts normal.

Another question: You can do this --- and do it again --- and do it again --- ALWAYS (truely always) on the third given "so called" Extraball: The pin then acts normal --- ALWAYS ? ALWAYS on THIRD ?

When You answer "Sometimes on the first given" - "Sometimes on second given" - "Sometimes on third given" - "sometimes on fourth given" etc. - I THEN could say: A switch is adjusted so SOMETIMES there is connection - and SOMETIMES no connection.
BUT WHEN You say: ALWAYS - ALWAYS on third given": I then can not come up with the switch ...

I am in the non-pleasing situation "not knowing - doing wild guessing".
Please check and write about: Gain an Extraball so the Extraball-Relais is steady pulling, the Ball-Index-Relay is steady pulling. Loose that regular ball and STARE at the Ball-Index-Relay --- the Outhole-Relay pulls-in and then the Outhole-Kicker kicks the ball over to the shooter alley - STARE at the Ball-Index-Relay - question: DID the Ball-Index-Relay let go (for a tenth of a second) and immediately pull in again - and then stay pulling steady ? OR DID The Ball-Index-Relay rock-steady pull all the time ?

The JPG I show here without text is meant "for / as" an appetizer "Lets make some work-around so You can play" - (((You can play but the Information-Light is turned-off earlier - is turned off at the time when the Extraball is given as 'new ball' ". We may look at the JPG AFTER You answered the questions I asked (see above). Greetings Rolf

0Aztec-Work-11 (resized).jpg0Aztec-Work-11 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

a question to Your last sentence in post-9 "The strange part ... " - do I read correct when I read: "I gain an Extraball - I see this because the "Extraball-Light is lit" - I loose the regular ball - pin counts down the bonus and resets playfield stuff and gives the Extraball (no stepping on the ball) , "Extraball-Light is lit" - I launch the ball - make points - "Extraball-Light faulty stays lit" - I play and then loose this ball - bonus is counted down etc. - ball is faulty given again (as Extraball). Fault is repeated --- fault is repeated - and NOW - miracle, miracle: The Extraball-Light turns off and the pin acts normal.

You correctly described what is happening.

Another question: You can do this --- and do it again --- and do it again --- ALWAYS (truely always) on the third given "so called" Extraball: The pin then acts normal --- ALWAYS ? ALWAYS on THIRD ?

I tested it a lot last night, and sometimes it worked after 2 extra balls, usually 3. Based on your previous response, I'm going to make sure I score at least TWICE before letting the ball drain, as it sounded like that is necessary for the process to complete fully on ball drain.

A few games, we will say perhaps 1 out of 10 tries, the process worked perfectly (only 1 extra ball awarded). The rest of the time it was usually 3. I did have one attempt that went above 3 I think, but honestly I may have miscounted given the late hour.

Please check and write about: Gain an Extraball so the Extraball-Relais is steady pulling, the Ball-Index-Relay is steady pulling. Loose that regular ball and STARE at the Ball-Index-Relay --- the Outhole-Relay pulls-in and then the Outhole-Kicker kicks the ball over to the shooter alley - STARE at the Ball-Index-Relay - question: DID the Ball-Index-Relay let go (for a tenth of a second) and immediately pull in again - and then stay pulling steady ? OR DID The Ball-Index-Relay rock-steady pull all the time ?

It appears to stay steady, I do not see it release in any way.

#13 7 years ago

Hi Max
thanks for test with "stare at the Ball-Index-Relay". IF (if, if) the Ball-Index-Relay would let go / would let go and pull-in again: I may create some whacky theories.

Looking forward (but not happy looking forward) to "We may have to do some 'hack' " the questions: Do You happen to have some Williams M-29-1100 or whatever Relay - or some Omron 24VAC relay ? Do You happen to have some spare simple two-bladed leaf switches ?
The reason I ask - Here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=119&picno=34891 we can see: THREE lanes a ball entering the playfield - One of the three the ball MUST roll through --- so I am tempted to change the logic of Extraball-Relay / Ball-Index-Relay - adding a leaf-switch on every lane.

Still - I want to find the fault and fix the fault (if no success: Then maybe the hack mentioned above).
A simple Work-Around so You can play and have NOT the pressure of "must be fixed - must be fixed - we want to play":

Several times You wrote: When the Extraball-Relay is not pulling: The Ball-Index-Relay is nice and let go. So I would like to make the Extraball-Relay let go at the exact same time as the Ball-Index-Relay let go - maybe this works*** and You can play***

It is not a big change - it is not much work to do - please try: See the JPG in post-11 and in Your pin: A short wire runs from Coil on Extraball-Relay to switch mounted on the relay. THE OTHER blade of this switch has soldered-on: Wire-color-Grey-Yellow. UNSOLDER or cut wire-grey-yellow (when You cut: Do cut about 2 to 3 inches away from the solder-lug). OK - NO MORE connection through there.
Look at Your Ball-Index-Relay - a short wire runs from the Coil to Switch mounted on the relay - THE OTHER Switchblade on this switch: HERE at other switchblade - here is the ending point of a permanent jumper You must lay , solder-lug of wire-green-black --- starting-point of the Jumper-Wire is "Switchblade-grey-yellow on switch on Extraball-Relay.

With this "cut and connect to Switch on Ball-Index-Relay": The Extraball-Relay NOW has the same Self-Hold-Circuitry as the Ball-Index-Relay. My prediction is: pin runs --- ALSO with an Extraball.

works***, play***: The Extraball-Information-Light will be turned-off earlier - well its a work-around (You easy can go back to original state) to take pressure away from You - so You / we can search the fault "at ease".

I would do / I do accept when You would write / You do write: "Thanks Rolf - do not want to get into hacks / modifications".
Greetings Rolf

P.S.: My main problem is (see post-5): How can the pulling Extraball-Relay have an effect on the "cutting Self-Hold-Circuitry of Ball-Index-Relay, the dark-green-6, -7, -8".

#14 7 years ago

I did additional testing, making sure to follow the same sequence every time, and the results were not consistent. Very strange. I will check and clean all the switches involved again, just in case there is an intermittent contact causing the problem. My testing was:

Start game. Score A-Z-T-E-C manually. Hit Center Target to light Same Player Shoots Again. Score 10 Points 2 times (just in case) then lose the ball. Sometimes the "Same Player Shoots Again" light would go out as soon as the Bonus finished counting and ball was returned to the shooting lane. Sometimes the Light would remain on. If the light remained on, I would score 100 points, then 1000 points, then lose the ball. Again, results varied. Sometimes the Same Player Shoots Again light would go out, other times it would remain lit again.

It is definitely NOT consistent, which is frustrating. If cleaning and checking everything again does not help, I will try the method you mentioned to see if it is a good work around. Thanks Rolf

#15 7 years ago

Hi Max
Your post-14: Very strange, frustrating. In this post-15 I do NOT write about testing on the mystery --- some general words:
Our problem is: We believe Your saying is true - Your saying "when no Extraball is gained - the (regular) ball is lost: Ball-Index-Relay ALWAYS let go at the time the pin kicks the next ball over to the shooter alley".
IF (if, if, when) we can prove "Your saying is NOT TRUE --- SOMETIMES the Ball-Index-Relay does NOT let go": We then can investigate in "post-5, JPG, dark-green-6, -7, -8".

It is not much fun having the playfield up - simulating "lifetime of a ball" by manually making points - maybe gaining an Extraball, simulating "ball gets lost" - staring at the Ball-Index-Relay , staring at other stuff --- doing so for some hundreds of games. No, not much fun.

Much better is "You have the playfield down and You play - You really play - You like Your pin and You play some many games --- and You have an added Information-Light that shows You "Ball-Index-Relay is pulling (Information-Light is lit)" - and tells You "Ball-Index-Relay is not pulling as the Information-Light is unlit". You play many games and at the time the pin kicks-out a new ball: You look at the Information-Light - lit or unlit ? AND WHEN the result is: SOMETIMES the Information-Light STAYS lit: You would have proven "SOMETIMES the Ball-Index-Relay does NOT let go: We then can investigate in post-5, JPG, dark-green-6, -7, -8".

That Information-Light - please make Yourself one and mount*** it --- here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics in post-12 "SteveFury" shows his Test-Light (I then made myself this handy tool), You also see it in the upper right corner of my JPG. To mount*** it in Your pin: Have the two bulbs in the outside - taped to the pin, the two long wires run through the open coin-door to "Coil on Ball-Index-Relay" - one gator-clip (of the "wire to the bulbs") is clipped-on at "left side-solder-lug of the coil" --- and the other gator-clip () is clipped-on at "right side-solder-lug of the coil" (((You have mounted the Test-Light PARALLEL to / with the Coil))) --- when the Ball-Index-Relay is pulling: Testlight is lit and when the relay is not pulling: Testlight is unlit.

Make Yourself such an Testlight and use it and "prove right" or "prove wrong" the mentioned "Your saying". Do this "playing and looking at the Testlight / Information-Light" BEFORE You cut / desolder wires. I hope for "SOMETIMES the Ball-Index-Relay does NOT let go: We then can investigate in post-5, JPG, dark-green-6, -7, -8".

If "No luck at all": We can do some add-on / little alteration to MAKE the Extraball-Relay quit pulling: See in the JPG the "red N" Microswitch --- we can mount such an microswitch (I made this about a year ago on a pin) - mount in the way the "rod of launching a given new ball" can go through the opening of the micro-switch --- for "to launch the ball" You pull the rod therefore the ball rolls a bit and by that rolling down a bit: Actuates the microswitch.
We can make a little alteration so Your problem dissapears - still: I would like to find the fault ...

I wait for result of "using a Testlight mounted parallel to the Coil on Ball-Index-Relay" - EVERY time a Ball is kicked over to the shooter alley and rest there to be launched: Test-Light MUST be unlit --- unlit if You have gained an Extraball or if You have "not gained an Extraball" --- EVERY time: MUST be unlit, greetings Rolf

855-enriched (resized).jpg855-enriched (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-aztec-too-many-extra-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.