(Topic ID: 265447)

Williams Aztec: Change Relay blowing fuses

By The_Great_Man

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2433 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2431 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2427 (1) (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Great_Man.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So once again I tried to make my Williams Aztec a little better and screwed up the machine. I am trying to learn to fix these things on my own - But sometimes I really need your help.

Here is what happened. The game was running great except the left flipper was a little loud when you would hold it on and some of the playfield lights would get dim when the Bonus hit 50,000 and other playfield lights were on. The dimming lights did not bother me that much. I opened up the machine and tried to fix the flipper. I tightened the screws on the left flipper and looked around a little. I do not think I touched anything because I am learning not to touch anything. When I went to start up the game, I would hit the left flipper and the Change Relay would activate (which just switches the pop bumper lights) and eventually it blew out the 2nd fuse from the bottom. I have looked at the relays and the underside of the playfield and can not see anything out of place.

How could hitting the left flipper activate that Change Relay? I do not get it and would appreciate any information.

IMG_2427 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_2427 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_2431 (resized).JPGIMG_2431 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

As I do a little more digging it appears as though the fuse that is blowing is the 15 Amp 24 Volt Fuse on the Mechanism Panel. The manual links this fuse to the Silicon Bridge Rectifier. The manual says this fuse can open due to a faulty rectifier but it says the rectifier should never need replacing. I still do not understand how or why the Change Relay would activate when I hit the left flipper button. I must have created a short in the system somewhere but where?

IMG_2432 (resized).JPGIMG_2432 (resized).JPG
    #3 4 years ago

The only other thing I noticed that seems different from usual is that the coil on the front coin door panel was activated and I do not remember that this coil was ever activated before.

IMG_2433 (resized).JPGIMG_2433 (resized).JPG
    #4 4 years ago

Ok. So I took out the fuse that was blowing and put a multimeter across the fuse. As soon as I touched the red and black wires to the sides of the fuse holder - the Change Relay activated. Unfortunately I have no idea what that means. Again, the Change relay just changes which lights are lit at a certain time. When you hit the top slingshots the Change relay activates and changes which lights are on.

#7 4 years ago

OK. So I get up this morning and buy a bunch of fuses. Then I read the 2 responses - Thank you very much! The fuse that is blowing is the 15 amp - 24 volt fuse that is in the cabinet (2nd from the bottom in the row of four). I think this is called the solenoid fuse and runs most of the coils. I read HowardR's comments about the Game Over Relay. ( You have to tell me how you figured out that might be the problem - I looked at that manual all night and could not get it.) I looked at the switches on the Game-Over and they looked fine but I adjusted a couple and cleaned a couple. I then loosened the rubbers around the 10 point switches. I started up the game - and like Magic - it started working. However, the left flipper was very weak. I adjusted the flipper and eos switch a little and now it seems to be working again. I have one more question - Can I just cut the wire and disconnect that Coin Lockout Coil? Since I am using free play I do not think I need it. Thank you again!!

#9 4 years ago

Thanks Tuukka - I appreciate your help. I did desolder the wire to that coin lockout coil. Only problem now is that I just played a game and that 15 amp - 24 volt fuse opened again. Put a new fuse in and the game played fine. I will keep this open and update on what happens at tonight's pinball gathering.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Great_Man.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-aztec-change-relay-blowing-fuses?tu=The_Great_Man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.