• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aztec3 (resized).jpg
aztec2 (resized).jpg
aztec1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sodacrack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I just started working on an Aztec. The previous owner said that it was having some problems and then it just quit working. He didn't get specific about what happened. I plugged it in yesterday, turned it on and all the lights came on. When I tried to start a game the only thing that happened was the score reels reset, but that was about it. I looked under the playfield and noticed a bonus unit coil was fried (see attached photo). I also notice a fuse was blown and someone has soldered a wire across the outside of the fuse. I assume this was because the fuse was continuously blowing and they got tired of replacing it. I removed the soldered fuse (see attached photo). I also notice a location where a score reel coil had fried and been replaced (see attached photo). I would appreciate any help on diagnosing this problem.

I have a couple of EM's and have worked on them a little, but still consider my knowledge of EM's to be basic.

The backglass on this game is beautiful and the playfield will clean up nice. It deserves to be restored and enjoyed once again.

aztec1 (resized).jpgaztec1 (resized).jpg

aztec2 (resized).jpgaztec2 (resized).jpg

aztec3 (resized).jpgaztec3 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What player/position was that score reel?

Player 1.

Thousands (I think, but I can check)

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If it's the same amount as is awarded by one of the bonus advancing switches on the playfield I'd suspect that, otherwise check the 1000 pt relay and the eos on the reel

Thank you so much. I thought I was going to get a response that was over my head, but this make sense to me. Having the manual and being able to compare it to your response helps. I will let you know the results.

3 weeks later
#8 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

as for the bonus coil, it's controlled by the advance relay, which means either the switch on there is stuck shut, or the advance relay is locked on. The relay is triggered by a few different things on the playfield, so make sure they're not stuck, and it keeps itself on until the bonus EOS opens, so make sure that switch is working correctly too

I replace the coil, replaced the fuse and adjusted relays and the bonus unit is now working just fine. Thanks for the advise. However, now it will not cycle through the players properly. During a 4 player game, when the ball drains on player 4 it will go back to player 3. It continues to go back and forth between player 3 and 4. It will never go back to player 1 unless I restart a game. The rest of the game seems to be working properly. Any further help would be appreciated.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Check out the player unit in the back. After player 4 goes it should be resetting all the way back to 1. Is the reset coil firing? Is the unit free? If you haven't already, I'd take the wiper disc off and clean up contacts in the board. Metal polish (get the contacts nice and shiny), then wipe down with alcohol and put a thin coating if Teflon gel usually frees them right up.

I will give it a try. Do you recommend a specific metal polish and teflon gel?

I have a Jet Spin that I am working on also. Would it be easier to private message you about it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ashburn, VA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sodacrack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-aztec-bonus-unit-coil-fried?tu=Sodacrack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.