3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by REDOC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3037 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I have a Williams Aztec that is in pretty good shape except for the backglass which is a little flaky - But not terrible. Does anyone know where I can get a decent Backglass or Translite for the Williams Aztec game. There is one listed on ebay but the word recreation is misspelled and it would drive me crazy. I assume the translite maker has been informed of this and has made the appropriate change but the ebay seller has not responded to my question about this. Thank you.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Great_Man:

I have a Williams Aztec that is in pretty good shape except for the backglass which is a little flaky - But not terrible. Does anyone know where I can get a decent Backglass or Translite for the Williams Aztec game. There is one listed on ebay but the word recreation is misspelled and it would drive me crazy. I assume the translite maker has been informed of this and has made the appropriate change but the ebay seller has not responded to my question about this. Thank you.

I assume your referring to the one in my link from ClassicArcades. If so, I’m surprised he’s not responded to you. I bought an Eighth Ball Translite from him 2 years ago and he was very helpful. Even had me call him when I had a question.

Mine didn’t have any errors and I don’t blame you for not wanting to look at that misspelling. To be fair, he ought to knock some off the price and maybe you could try to touch it up.

ebay.com link: itm

#3 3 years ago

Yes that is the one....from Classic Arcades. Recreation is spelled recreatioin. Not sure how I could fix that one.

#4 3 years ago

Yes that is the one....from Classic Arcades. Recreation is spelled recreatioin. Not sure how I could fix that one.

You could ask him if he is on vacatioin or just too busy to respond.

I’ll keep an eye out for an Aztec backglass.

#5 3 years ago

Mayfair Amusements has an Aztec backglass for sale. I’ll send a pm with the link.

3 weeks later
    #6 3 years ago

Hopefully someone is still "listening". So I bought the translite but now need to figure out how to get it into my machine. My existing backglass measures 28 7/16" wide X 25 3/8" tall by 3/16" thick. I was thinking that I buy a piece of clear glass the size of the original backglass and then mount the new translite behind it. But I have seen some posts where people have bought 2 pieces of 2mm polycarb and put the translite between them. Not sure what the best way to do it is. Then I assume I need some tranlite trim pieces to attach the translite to the glass but not sure where to get these pieces. Anyone have any suggestions and/or help.

#7 3 years ago

So I received very little feedback or advice on this one so I thought I would give anyone listening the proper way to add a translite to an old em pinball machine that originally had a backglass. Some people suggested that I buy a 3/16" piece of glass and attach the translite to the back of the glass with plastic c-channel trim pieces. The problem with this is that it is impossible to keep the translite laying flat against the glass.
    The best way to add the translite is this: Buy 2 pieces of acrylic/polycarbonate clear sheets - I bought mine at Lowe's. Each piece should be 2mm or .08" thick. Cut the sheets to the exact same size as the old backglass. Lay the translite down flat on one of the acrylic sheets. Place the other sheet on top of the translite and match the two sheets up perfectly. Add some black tape - no more than 1/2" thick - around the edges of the acrylic sheets to hold them together. This will make the entire translite assembly about 3/16" thick. Add plastic c-channel trim pieces - 3/16" thick - to the top and sides. Purchase a new lift channel that is the same length as the original and make sure it will hold a 3/16" backglass. Add the lift channel to the acrylic translite assembly and put it in the machine. It should fit and look perfect.

IMG_3037 (resized).jpgIMG_3037 (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago

So I received very little feedback or advice on this one so I thought I would give anyone listening the proper way to add a translite to an old em pinball machine that originally had a backglass. Some people suggested that I buy a 3/16" piece of glass and attach the translite to the back of the glass with plastic c-channel trim pieces. The problem with this is that it is impossible to keep the translite laying flat against the glass.
    The best way to add the translite is this: Buy 2 pieces of acrylic/polycarbonate clear sheets - I bought mine at Lowe's. Each piece should be 2mm or .08" thick. Cut the sheets to the exact same size as the old backglass. Lay the translite down flat on one of the acrylic sheets. Place the other sheet on top of the translite and match the two sheets up perfectly. Add some black tape - no more than 1/2" thick - around the edges of the acrylic sheets to hold them together. This will make the entire translite assembly about 3/16" thick. Add plastic c-channel trim pieces - 3/16" thick - to the top and sides. Purchase a new lift channel that is the same length as the original and make sure it will hold a 3/16" backglass. Add the lift channel to the acrylic translite assembly and put it in the machine. It should fit and look perfect.
    [quoted image]

Glad you got it figured out. Looks good too. That’s the main thing.

I was lucky when I bought a Translite for my Eight Ball, I already had the appropriate sized piece of plexiglass and the 4 piece aluminum frame because it had a cheap repro copy when I bought it.

I’ve thought about buying a used backglass when they come up for sale but I never do because the Translite looks so good compared to them. Not to mention the waste of $135. Maybe someday when I’m rich I’ll order one from BGResto.

2 weeks later
    #9 3 years ago

Man glad I remembered this site. Was going to purchase glass but will try the other first. Now if I could only find my keys, no not in the spot they usually are. Not been in it since I moved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-aztec-backglass-translite?hl=the_great_man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.