Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Argosy Anti Cheat Sw (resized).jpg
Argosy Coin Lockout 3 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200522_085407724 (resized).jpg
Argosy Coin Lockout (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

My Argosy won't coin up any longer. It worked for months, but today, it won't coin up. The coin lockout coil is not energized and it normally is. I've verified it doesn't energize even when there are 0 credits on the credit unit. I've checked/cleaned the coin relay and the jones plugs for the coin door. Tried looking for this topic on other Williams EMs but wasn't able to find a solution.

Thanks in advance.
RC

#2 3 years ago

Will the machine add credits (coin up) if you manually close the coin switches? Check the credit unit last position switch with the black/red wire and black wire. When maximum credits are reached on the credit unit, the last position switch on the credit unit will open and it will turn off the coin lock out coils. See if the credit unit last position switch is clean and in the closed position.

#3 3 years ago

There are four switches that must be closed to get the Coin Lockout relay to fire:
Argosy Coin Lockout (resized).jpgArgosy Coin Lockout (resized).jpg
Try jumpering around individual switches and combinations of switches to see if you can tease out where the disconnect is.

/Mark

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

There are four switches that must be closed to get the Coin Lockout relay to fire:
[quoted image]
Try jumpering around individual switches and combinations of switches to see if you can tease out where the disconnect is.
/Mark

I'm only seeing 3 that should be closed and 1 open unless I'm not following. I've checked all those switches and they are in the proper position and have good adjustment and are clean. The credit button switch is the start button, correct? And it shouldn't come into play with the lockout coil.

Thanks,
RC

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I'm only seeing 3 that should be closed and 1 open unless I'm not following.

The four switches are reset relay, score motor index A, coin relay and credit unit at maximum. And they should all be closed to complete circuit to coin lockout relay.

#6 3 years ago

Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly. I was thinking the coin lockout coil needs to be energized in order to add credits. When I try to manually add credits via the coin switches, nothing happens. Here is the credit unit at 0 credits. Is this last position? The bottom switch is closed.

IMG_20200522_085407724 (resized).jpgIMG_20200522_085407724 (resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

The coin lockout coil's function is to either direct a coil to fall on the coin switch, or direct a coin to fall into the coin return tray.

You should be able to manually close a coin switch, which will add one or more credits on the credit unit. In order to get power to the credit unit step up solenoid, a 25 cent relay switch needs to close. Do you hear a clicking sound when you manually close one of the coin switches?

The credit unit step up solenoid and the coin lock out coil share the same switch in a shared circuit - the credit unit last position switch (black/red wire and black wire). You can use a jumper wire to bypass this last position switch to see if it will complete the circuit for the the coin switches and energize the coin lock out coil.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

The coin lockout coil's function is to either direct a coil to fall on the coin switch, or direct a coin to fall into the coin return tray.
You should be able to manually close a coin switch, which will add one or more credits on the credit unit. In order to get power to the credit unit step up solenoid, a 25 cent relay switch needs to close. Do you hear a clicking sound when you manually close one of the coin switches?
The credit unit step up solenoid and the coin lock out coil share the same switch in a shared circuit - the credit unit last position switch (black/red wire and black wire). You can use a jumper wire to bypass this last position switch to see if it will complete the circuit for the the coin switches and energize the coin lock out coil.

Nothing happens when I manually activate the coin switches on the coin door. In my case, I'm pretty sure that when the coin lockout coil is energized, it allows a coin to go to the switch and when de-energized, it directs it to the coin return, based on how the little blocking bars behave. What exactly should I jumper? I don't want to cause more issues.

Thanks.

#9 3 years ago

fredsmythson and I are thinking along the same lines. Here's the circuit he's referring to.
Argosy Coin Lockout 3 (resized).jpgArgosy Coin Lockout 3 (resized).jpg
If neither the Coin Lockout nor the Credit Step Up are working it could be because the common switch in the red box isn't closing. It's hard to tell from your photo which switch it is because of the yellow jumper wires but you're looking for a switch that connects a brown-red wire to a black wire. I think it's the switch at the bottom of the switch stack in your photo under the insulating paper with the black wire. The two switches that are open look like zero position switches.

The brown-red wire should be connected to a solder lug on both the Credit Unit Step Up and Coin Lockout coils in addition to the switch in the red box.

If you jumper from the brown-red wire to the black wire to remove that switch from the circuit, does that change things?

#10 3 years ago

With you guy's help, I may have found the issue. There is a black/red wire that is loose. Couldn't see it in all that mess before. It looks like it should go on one of the lugs of the credit step up coil. There is a yellow wire also on that same lug that does lead back to the last position switch. This sound like the culprit? Don't want to solder it to the wrong lug, but based on what you guys have said and that schematic, I think that is correct.

Thanks.

#11 3 years ago

You're right. The schematic shows black-red (B-R-4) not brown-red.

The short yellow wires are just jumpers to get one wire to multiple places that are close to each other. The jumper wire colors are not shown on the schematic. If the resistance from the loose end of that wire that you found to any of the other end points (Coin Lockout coil lug for example) is about an ohm or less that would tell you that it's the same wire.

#12 3 years ago

Reattaching that wire fixed the coin lockout issue. It now engages when the game is powered on like it used to. I still get nothing when I activate the coin switches. No clicks or motor turns, etc. Dang, thought I found it.

#13 3 years ago

There's a fair bit of complexity to the coin circuitry to enable variable pricing but the one thing that could disable all the coin switches is the Anti Cheat switch.
Argosy Anti Cheat Sw (resized).jpgArgosy Anti Cheat Sw (resized).jpg

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

There's a fair bit of complexity to the coin circuitry to enable variable pricing but the one thing that could disable all the coin switches is the Anti Cheat switch.
[quoted image]

That was it. Thanks so much. It was spread apart like alot of slam tilt switches are on old games, but this one needs to be normally closed, not open. Weirdly, it coined up previously, so not sure what caused it to be part of the issue months later.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-argosy-won-t-credit-up?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.