You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0322 (resized).JPG
IMG_0321 (resized).JPG
IMG_0319 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Seems like a tricky angle... I have a small socket wrench but it won't fit into the apron hole.

Any advice on how to remove this thing? One side has regular hex screws; the other side has... phillips head screws. Regular socket wrenches/screwdrivers don't apply. I don't think they make phillips head screwdrivers shorter than an inch long... I don't know how much clearance is in there... maybe 1 1/8"

What tools do I need?

IMG_0319 (resized).JPGIMG_0319 (resized).JPG
IMG_0321 (resized).JPGIMG_0321 (resized).JPG
IMG_0322 (resized).JPGIMG_0322 (resized).JPG

Thanks,
Chad.

#2 7 years ago

What game is this ?

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Hurricane.

#4 7 years ago

Are there not two screws on the front of the apron, between the apron and lockdown bar receiver, that you remove, then lift the apron up and slide forward and off ?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are there not two screws on the front of the apron, between the apron and lockdown bar receiver, that you remove, then lift the apron up and slide forward and off ?

Yes; there are two catch brackets on the front of the playfield that go under the lockdown bar. I removed the brackets, including the two phillips screws that went through the front of the apron. The apron still appears to be attached to the playfield via screws. The screws holding it on the playfield don't appear to go all the way through the wood, or they'd be very close to the flipper coils.

Maybe there's some kind of bendy phillips driver at Home Depot that I could use but i'm not sure about the hex nut. A regular phillips driver is at too steep an angle and I'd strip the head trying to unscrew the bolts.

#6 7 years ago

When you take out the two back screws on the playfield hanging bracket the apron should then slide forward then lift off. The front of the apron hooks under a bracket that's screwed to the playfield.

#7 7 years ago

I'll see if it slides off and will report back. If it doesn't, I'll have pics.

#8 7 years ago

O my...... i remember when i got my first pinball and i didnt know how to even get the glass out lol.... o how far ive come. Its all part of the fun

#9 7 years ago

Thanks guys. It did slide off with some coaxing.

Quoted from bigd1979:

O my...... i remember when i got my first pinball and i didnt know how to even get the glass out lol.... o how far ive come. Its all part of the fun

It's my first time pulling off an apron anyway.

#10 7 years ago

Williams aprons are impossible to remove without a lot of twisting and angling and praying that you don't scratch the playfield with the bottom edges. It's because of the unfortunate placement of the outhole kicker that you can't just easily slide it forward and off. I always slide a few pieces of cardboard under the front of the apron when removing/installing to avoid scratches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-apron-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.