(Topic ID: 78124)

Williams Apron Remakes - What titles to start with? Cast your vote.

By merfeldma

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2628 Crop.jpg
IMG_3998.JPG
_L2C6548.jpg
80040-thank-you-dear-sweet-baby-jesu-JvU1.jpeg
HighSpeed Apron-68.jpg
m7wIL6j1PTyzfv6d3vzZybw.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay-t.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 10 years ago

I would be in for a TOTAN, but only if the apron is as original. It was not powdercoated, but instead zinc plated with a yellow chromate bath giving it a gold look (the same treatment was applied to the wire ramp, sword, etc). I realize that gold colored powdercoating may be more durable, but I really want the original appearance. Thanks so much for considering these.

#91 10 years ago

If the TOTAN aprons are done, I just hope they are not gold powdercoat, paint, or brass plate (I realize those finishes may look nice). I really want to see the original yellow chromated zinc finish - anything else is a "mod" in my opinion (maybe nice, but a mod nonetheless). Original please!!! Again, thanks for considering these.

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

For TOTAN, you could start with a chromed apron and powdercoat it with a transparent yellow. That might give a pretty high mirror-like finish while retaining the durability of a powdercoat.

This would be fine as an optional modified version, but again I would really like to see the original yellow chromate over zinc.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Unfortunately the yellowed zinc plating that was used back in 90s contained hexavalent chromium, a highly toxic chemical. In order to remain RoHS compliant that version can no longer be used. While there is an alternative yellowed zinc plating available it do not really look like the original and leaves a rainbowing effect.
We will be able to offer a very nice and durable alternative with translucent powder coats that will give the gold color.

My original apron also has a rainbow effect (it is particularly noticeable on the underside). I expect the silkscreened graphics obscure it to some degree on the topside. When you say that the finish does not look like original, is there another difference you have noticed other than the rainbow effect? For instance, I understand that the shade of "gold" color is determined by the length of time the part is immersed in the chromating bath. I do realize that you have looked into this and I am certainly not trying to be critical. I just want to be sure that an original finish is really out of the question.

Thanks again for all your efforts and your assistance to the hobby.

#123 10 years ago

I just did a quick Google search and it seems that a hallmark of hexavalent plating is the rainbow-like irisdescent effect. It would seem to me that all of the original parts would therefore display that effect to some degree.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 63.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 75.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay-t.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-apron-remakes-what-titles-to-start-with-cast-your-vote?tu=jay-t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.