Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Apollo_pinball.jpg
PC170494.JPG
PC170501.JPG
PC170496.JPG
PB290486.JPG
PB290487.JPG
PB290488.JPG
PB080467.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I am working on a sad, neglected Apollo, bringing it back from the dead. It was left in a basement for years without play field glass and had varnish, paint spatter and much dirt/grime. It will never be a museum piece, but is pretty satisfying to know I saved it from the scrape heap. The back glass is cracked, but actually pretty nice-little paint loss. The plastics are a bit cooked too. I have a parts game (Kick Off) that has alreay supplied lock down bar, pop bumper parts, apron, and coils so it's coming together.
I can't wait to play this sucker when it's done! If anyone has either good plastics, or a decent back glass for it, please let me know. I've wanted one of these for years, chime in with your experience with this game strategy, restoration tips, etc. Looks really fun, and I love the vintage space theme when we were really in the space race.

#2 6 years ago

Congrats on getting and saving the Apollo.

I found even back in the day that Williams games were always fun for a kid......and adult. Played them quite a bit of in the '70's.

Never played Apollo but would like to some day. Great art all the way around and very interesting Ruleset.

Space theme is cool as I have a Williams Space Odyssey and love the artwork as well.

For me fixing the old machines is over half the fun, but I still love to play as well, especially after I save a machine from the dumpster such as yourself.

Have fun fixing and playing as you have a keeper.

Ken

#3 6 years ago

Jim Schelberg told me Apollo is his favorite game. Or at least it was a few years back. Pretty cool.

I recently sold a Blast Off the AAB version. It was a game that sort of fell into my lap. My intention was to fix it up a bit and play for awhile until I got bored with it or found something else. Well I found something else before I really got bored with it and I do miss it now. It has a neat and satisfying layout with a lot to shoot for. The cool part is it's now on location at a pizza joint in Madison. I've been meaning to get up there and play my old game.

I also have a Kickoff that may be my personal favorite. When I got Blast Off I sort of expected them to be similar but they are really quite different. Good stuff.

At one time I believe the Apollo glass was reproduced but I haven't seen a good glass come up for sale in a long time. Patience is key though as I found a real nice one for my Kickoff.

Alex

#4 6 years ago

I had an opportunity to get a torn down one with no backglass and i regret not getting it..

#5 6 years ago

Did you buy that from the guy in whitehouse station, nj?

I was there right after you to pick a couple of pins if so...

Lets see some pics!

#6 6 years ago

Yup, that was it.

Here's a few pics (new to Pinside, be patient)
(Use the zoom in to really see that dirt!)
Playfield before/after touch ups/varathane
Back glass looks good here, after some small touch ups, break is near the grass edge and through the yellow rocket engine blast. Cabinet solid, just a few areas will need attention.

PB080467.JPG PB290488.JPG PB290487.JPG PB290486.JPG

#7 6 years ago

Nice work on the playfield Stashy!!

--Jeff

#8 6 years ago

Thanks Jeff-
Funny how the digital camera makes some colors look way off...the yellow is actually a pretty good match to the naked eye. I haven't started the cabinet touch ups yet, but it's next on my to do list as I wait for the varathane to cure another week.

#9 6 years ago

I thought the description sounded familiar. I picked up the super star and gulfstream from him.

Was going to grab the Apollo, but he said it was already spoken for.

Props to pete for being a trustworthy seller.

Nice job on the PF, by the way.

Look forward to seeing it when it's finished.

#10 6 years ago

Nice machine! I have one myself. I restored it in 2010. Here are some pics in case you need them. I have more that are not in the album as yet.

http://tinyurl.com/ApolloResto2010

Best of luck with the restoration! Definitely a machine that deserves to be taken care of.

2 weeks later
#11 6 years ago

A few new pics to show progress-
Need to trouble shoot the game features, but the cosmetics are basically all done!

PC170496.JPG PC170501.JPG PC170494.JPG

#12 6 years ago

Looks great!

#13 6 years ago

Yes indeed!

Great Job so far!

Once you get the game features going it will be time to have fun!

Ken

1 week later
#14 6 years ago

Last update: Game is playing 100 % now! It was a long road, but well worth it. When you get to the top level of awards and the special is alternating back and forth teasing you..........well you get the idea! Rebuilt the flippers/pops/slings. The pops are still a bit weak (even with it on high tap) I didn't tweek them like my last Williams project (Magic City, Steve told me to take a few rows off those coils-made a big difference) I am loving it with varathane and a bit extra slope, plays fast and fun!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

The pops are still a bit weak (even with it on high tap)

Careful on that with your plastics.(no cracks)

#16 6 years ago

no worries on cracking the plastics, they're already pretty beat! Like I said, they don't have much punch, but they don't really need it on this game, just enough to keep it up in that nest.

#17 6 years ago

Hey stash,

If you don't have a tumbler yet, get one!

Makes a huge difference in cleaning the metal.

I did the flipper parts on the gulfstream and they came out awesome. Makes a difference playing, too. Parts come out nice and smooth.

#18 6 years ago

I don't mention that stuff, but that's a given.....burned out a cheap Berry earlier this year. I now have a burly Thumbler Tumbler. Very quiet and ball bearing motor. Costs more, but I think worth it.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

they don't have much punch,

Can always take a few rounds of coil wire off the Pops to give more Zip. (cheap fix)

2 years later
#20 3 years ago

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I feel like it's not wholly inappropriate since this is more like a "club" thread.

Just got mine as a minor project, and am absolutely loving it.

There was a very nice one at the Louisville arcade expo this year, which turned me on to the game. Normally 2" flipper game aren't my cup of tea, but this one really does it for me. Great rules, and surprisingly "modern" gameplay, all things considered.

#21 3 years ago

Played this game at PAGG and absolutely LOVED it!! Great game!

#22 3 years ago

Since this thread has risen from the dead, thought I'd update as well. I still own my Apollo, lives at my brother's house now. He recently told me it was not playing well. Pops were now not able to even hit the center target! So I made an emergency house call. Spent three hours to strip some windings off those pop coils, tightened up the plungers/saddles (old style Williams are a PIA).Score reel had a broken wire preventing reset. New bulbs/rubber, etc. Well now it's back to playing fun and hearing that knocker!

11 months later
#23 2 years ago

I have a friend that wants to sale a Apollo.
Fair condition, not to sure what it's worth.

Apollo_pinball.jpg

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from slingersbar:

I have a friend that wants to sale a Apollo.
Fair condition, not to sure what it's worth.

That Apollo is in rough shape - backglass totally flaked out or cracked in multiple places (can't really tell from pics), missing coin door parts, rough cabinet and a playfield that needs a LOT of work... 200 tops IMO. Apollo is an awesome game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 104.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 1,400.00
$ 15.00
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside