Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

I’m working on a Williams alien poker right now and one of the last problems I’m having is two out of the four pop bumpers lock on when you start a game not when you turn the game on but when you start a game. They also lock on the second you put it in diagnostic mode.I have tried clipping the resistor and capacitors on the pop bumpers that didn’t help not really sure where to go from here any suggestions?

#2 4 years ago

I forgot to mention I did check the transistors on the drover board as well and all seem ok.

#3 4 years ago

Make sure the pop bumper switches are not stuck closed.

#4 4 years ago

for a second, I almost thought this was the announcement of the rumored williams alienR! ; )

#5 4 years ago

Defiantly not stuck closed

#6 4 years ago

It could a bad PIA and/or some of the logic chips on the driver board. I had the same issue recently on a black knight.

I was able to fix it with the help of these test ROMs, which I wrote: http://pincoder.ca and I just released a new version today!

They are free to use and there are ROMs specifically for System 6a. Please let me know how you make out with them

Also if you need any help using them just let me know

Craig

#7 4 years ago

What I find strange about it was the game was playing fine till I did a cap kit on the power supply after that this is what I was left with. I also had another power supply I rebuilt and tried that with the same results.

#8 4 years ago

Of course I don’t have a burner. Don’t you think if it was the pia none of the solenoids would work properly???

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Willillist:

Of course I don’t have a burner. Don’t you think if it was the pia none of the solenoids would work properly???

Some people do have burners. Others might be inclined to get one so they can fix their games themselves.

PIAs, as is with every microchip, are not always an all or nothing item. Because of that some people tend to make assumptions and disregard them in their diagnosis.

With good testing software you can help identify where the problems are and get them fixed. Without good diagnostics you'll never know exactly what the problem is and you'll end up guessing and swapping out parts that are perfectly fine only to discover you still have the same problems.

Lots of people ditch entire boards and spend money on new boards to try and solve their problems. If you can afford to do that, great! Just make sure you buy quality replacements.

If you'd rather keep your game as close to original as possible, or if you'd like to learn about how your game really works and want to fix it yourself, turn to places like this forum and get the proper tools to do the job right.

1 week later
    #10 4 years ago

It was the pia problem solved!!

#11 4 years ago

Awesome! Nice going!

How did you determine it was the PIA?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-alien-poker-pop-number-trouble-?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.