IMG_8023 (resized).JPG
Capture2 (resized).JPG
Capture1 (resized).JPG
16553244324316619834436875601486 (resized).jpg
1655324412829599242363452268844 (resized).jpg
16553243912262504073203728391589 (resized).jpg
16553243742087292723955869699962 (resized).jpg
16553243605708801377805875911139 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 5 years ago

This has been a long time coming. I just set up my Alien Poker from my storage project games last night and got this thing playing pretty good. I had already purchased a new backglass from Planetary Pinball and a new plastic set from CPR. Great stuff there! I missed this one. I had it set up about 8 years ago in my first house. I've since moved and it was buried behind a bunch of other projects.

Glad to be back playing this one. I was playing it last night and thought "man..... I wish this was a multi-ball game. There are already 3 kick outs you can lock balls into like Firepower.....

And then I read this thread. Probably not going to do a multi ball mod. I didn't think of all the points I'd be loosing!

It seems I have one small issue remaining on this one though.

It seems to be about every 10-15 games or so, when you hit the start button to begin, it will automatically add a player 2, even though the button was only hit once. Ugh...... almost there!

I have scoured over this thing 2-3 times now making sure that no switches are touching anywhere and there is nothing else like a loose diode to be found either. I've had a few games with random issues and found someone just wrapped a diode around the contact end instead of soldering it so it would cause strange behaviors like this.

I've gone into the diagnostic test mode and no switches are stuck on. All switches register the proper number when hit, but it seems almost randomly sometimes that when you hit a switch the number will show up correctly and then go right back to the switch number that you hit previously. It doesn't do it often, it's almost like when hitting the start button, you hit about 10 switches or so and then boom, back to the previous switch number.

Strange.

Probably something simple like a failing diode on a switch somewhere, but you have to remove a lead for each diode all around the machine to test them and get a good reading to find the right one..... I hope I don't have to do all of that!

#53 5 years ago

I've got all original boards in this one. There is no battery acid damage at all. I've also replaced the 5101 with NVRam. There was no change after replacing the 5101, which I wasn't suspecting as the issue, but it's great to have it on free play and save the high score.

#54 5 years ago

I'll have to check if it's an actual system 6 or a system 6A board, but I wouldn't think that should matter.

I have thought it could either be a diode going bad on a switch somewhere, or maybe the sockets for the flipper/game rom need to be changed. They are NOT of the scanbe type that I typically remove from the Williams "system" boards to replace though, so.... who knows? Maybe there is some goofy thing wrong and I should get a new set of roms? Not yet.....

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Multiball mod kills bonus X
I have been debating the PP bg.
I have seen the bg resto and I prefer the mirroring.

The PP backglass is awesome. Just do it! You'll have it in a couple days as opposed to 3 months later like the bgresto one, that doesn't have a mirroring option.

I have purchased 2 different EM rifle game backglasses from bgresto and have been very happy with them as well. It is a great option for glasses that will never be silkscreened again and/or don't have mirroring in the originals. Their process has slowly evolved over time to get better as well. There are a TON of different glasses available now. I purchased a Chicago Coin Twin Skeet Shoot from them and sent in a Genco Davy Crockett that they reproduced for me and is available to others. You just have to be patient as it does take a few months until it arrives.

Does anyone know if there are different levels of game code for Alien Poker? Maybe some of us have a version of the code that has this add an extra player in it? Hmmm......

#61 5 years ago

So.... maybe I should just replace the flipper roms? Maybe I'll swap a set from another game I've got and see if the problem is still there. If not..... time for some new flipper roms possibly.

#63 5 years ago

Swapped in my green flipper roms from my Firepower I've had for 8+ years and no issues in years. Add-a-player issue is still present.

Maybe I'll swap out mpus and driver boards at some point and see if either of those have an issue to narrow it down to one of those or a cabinet issue.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

will be doing one soon.... I have the cab done just playfield left.

Who sells the stencils for Alien Poker?

I also have an overlay here from the guy on eBay. Never the best quality, but it's the only option out right now I think.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

Swapped in my green flipper roms from my Firepower I've had for 8+ years and no issues in years. Add-a-player issue is still present.
Maybe I'll swap out mpus and driver boards at some point and see if either of those have an issue to narrow it down to one of those or a cabinet issue.

Looks like my Alien Poker is now done. I went through the row and column that the credit button is in one more time. Nothing weird going on at all. I adjusted the credit button switch to give a little more "wipe" when pressed, and cleaned it up nice and bright. Haven't had a single extra player added in over 2 hours of play time now. Must have been getting a little spark or something now and then when you pressed it and the contacts pulled away from each other. Not sure what else to think on that one.

11 months later
#170 4 years ago

I was looking in the Meteor club and someone had made some nice aftermarket boards for the troublesome metal lamp strips in that game...... poked around on their website and they also have a set for Alien Poker. I don't think this has been mentioned here before, but is certainly of interest!

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/williams-alien-poker-lamp-board-replaces-metal-strips-with-sockets-set-of-6-boards

2 weeks later
#172 4 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

I was wondering if anyone has the schematic/manual pdf, drop target decal file and cab stencil file? I have a firepower and there is a fantastic web site devoted to it. Didnt know if there was one for alien Poker also?

cab stencil can be purchased from pinball pimp:

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/alien-poker/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-alien-poker-club-i-win-you-lose?tu=pin-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.