IMG_8023 (resized).JPG
Capture2 (resized).JPG
Capture1 (resized).JPG
16553244324316619834436875601486 (resized).jpg
1655324412829599242363452268844 (resized).jpg
16553243912262504073203728391589 (resized).jpg
16553243742087292723955869699962 (resized).jpg
16553243605708801377805875911139 (resized).jpg
There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 1 year ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

I put blue Wolffpac in my AP.
[quoted image]

Thanks for sharing the pic! Blue is what I was thinking of going with personally but the wife said she typically has a hard time seeing blue LEDs compared to other colours. In person, how do you feel about the visibility of the blue?

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from Firebird71:

Thanks for sharing the pic! Blue is what I was thinking of going with personally but the wife said she typically has a hard time seeing blue LEDs compared to other colours. In person, how do you feel about the visibility of the blue?

I understand what she may be saying, but I dont have an issue with these. They look great in person.

#303 1 year ago

Anyone know the setting to turn off attract speech?

#304 1 year ago

Set #35 to 10 (or 11). From page 4 of the operator handbook:

Screenshot 2023-01-30 093740 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-01-30 093740 (resized).jpg
#305 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Set #35 to 10 (or 11). From page 4 of the operator handbook:[quoted image]

Copy, I thank you, and so will the rest of the house

#306 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Set #35 to 10 (or 11). From page 4 of the operator handbook:

Unfortunately only turns off the attract speech. Still get the 'pew pew pew' noise every 5 minutes. At least from my experience.

#307 1 year ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Unfortunately only turns off the attract speech. Still get the 'pew pew pew' noise every 5 minutes. At least from my experience.

Verified in the code. Could be fixed relatively easily.

#308 1 year ago

It does just turn off the speech but I’ll take it.

2 weeks later
#309 1 year ago

So I started getting a new issue with the AP out of the blue.

Game plays perfect. I'm getting voice and sounds. But... they're all the wrong ones. Rip the spinner and it plays the sound for draining the ball. The speech phrases aren't the correct ones, seems to favor saying 'royal flush'. Also the background wubwubwub is missing.

Any suggestions on the culprit? I didn't change or move anything, the issue started just from the game sitting. ROM gone bad? Or is there there something else on the boards that would be a more likely culprit for the wrong sounds being played?

2 months later
#310 11 months ago

Anyone have spare sling plastics they would part with? My left sling plastic is broken so that’s the priority, but wouldn’t mind getting both. I know the CPR set has 2 extra sets of slings, but not worth buying the whole set to me. Looked around the Allentown show on Friday and none of the vendors had them.

2 weeks later
#311 11 months ago

Got a nice alien poker few weeks ago.
Working good.
Playing tonight and noticed left sling not firing.

Removed glass and checked.
Switches not scoring/registering.

Checked under playfield.

All connections good.

Cap and resistor wired on one switch.
Could this be my problem.

Seems like I had a bad cap on my flash slingshot and replaced it to get working again.

Thx for any help.

#312 11 months ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Got a nice alien poker few weeks ago.
Working good.
Playing tonight and noticed left sling not firing.
Removed glass and checked.
Switches not scoring/registering.
Checked under playfield.
All connections good.
Cap and resistor wired on one switch.
Could this be my problem.
Seems like I had a bad cap on my flash slingshot and replaced it to get working again.
Thx for any help.

If a diode goes bad in the switch matrix it can cause what you're talking about. I'd check the diodes on the left sling switches as well as anything else in the row or column for the switches that aren't working.

#313 11 months ago
Quoted from frisbez:

If a diode goes bad in the switch matrix it can cause what you're talking about. I'd check the diodes on the left sling switches as well as anything else in the row or column for the switches that aren't working.

Replaced diode on the scoring switch actuated by coil and it s working again. Thx man.

Now I've never had speech so I'm checking backbox and I think I bought this game with a missing soundboard/speechboard?

Here's a pic. Let me know if I'm right .thx.
Wish I knew when negotiating for this pin.
Advertised as complete.

Looks like up top to the right is where it goes.
Been reading up on this and I think I'm right.
PXL_20230527_133153560 (resized).jpgPXL_20230527_133153560 (resized).jpg

#314 11 months ago

Yes the speech board is missing. Looks like the soundboard is also missing the header connector to attach one as well although that can be soldered on. Bummer.

#315 11 months ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Replaced diode on the scoring switch actuated by coil and it s working again. Thx man.
Now I've never had speech so I'm checking backbox and I think I bought this game with a missing soundboard.
Here's a pic. Let me know if I'm right .thx.
Wish I knew when negotiating for this pin.
Advertised as complete.
Looks like up top to the right is where it goes.
Been reading up on this and I think I'm right.[quoted image]

You’re definitely missing the speech board, and it looks like your sound board doesn’t have any pins for the connector. Not sure if there is a mod or combined ROMs for AP that eliminates the speech board.

A1632E60-DBFD-4E31-B6D6-02D2F24F02F3 (resized).jpegA1632E60-DBFD-4E31-B6D6-02D2F24F02F3 (resized).jpeg
#316 11 months ago

Thx for replies.

Is a bummer.

I'll get it up and talking soon!

#317 11 months ago

I think it was Todd at TNT that said it one time. Regarding Gorgar he mentioned that speech on the machine was an option that cost an extra $50 or something back then. But absolutely everyone opted in for the speech because it brought in the quarters.

Alien Poker isn't much newer than Gorgar, I wonder if it was also an option in this case and that's why that sound board is missing the header.

Kouhout makes both the sound and speech boards for this machine.

#318 11 months ago

barakandl also sells a combined sound/speech board supporting Alien Poker:

https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-d8224-square-sound--speech.html

#319 11 months ago

I went ahead yesterday and bit the bullet and ordered
Kahout combo board.

Contacted seller who has been receptive to my disappointment
in not having speech board. He actually ponied up for new displays when the originals acted flaky when I got home with pin.

Also the slingshot is not working again.
So tested in solenoid test and worked.
Obviously there is an intermittent/bad connection
somewhere.

Gonna try and hunt down today.

I've googled but can't find copy of schematics/pinouts
for alien poker?

Any help appreciated. Thx

#320 11 months ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I've googled but can't find copy of schematics/pinouts
for alien poker?

https://www.ipdb.org/files/48/Williams_1980_Alien_Poker_Manual.pdf

The instruction book while it doesn't feature full schematics, has all the relevant connections listed for solenoids, switches, and lamps, on their respective pages, so you can trace wiring/connector pins etc. Use whatever system 6 schematics you have available for the boards themselves, they don't change game to game. It's actually much easier that they broke it out this way as you can find the information much faster on the subsystem you are trying to troubleshoot - almost forces you to do the basic stuff (tracing wires/connections first) before jumping to the 'it's a chip/board issue'.

#321 11 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/48/Williams_1980_Alien_Poker_Manual.pdf
The instruction book while it doesn't feature full schematics, has all the relevant connections listed for solenoids, switches, and lamps, on their respective pages, so you can trace wiring/connector pins etc. Use whatever system 6 schematics you have available for the boards themselves, they don't change game to game. It's actually much easier that they broke it out this way as you can find the information much faster on the subsystem you are trying to troubleshoot - almost forces you to do the basic stuff (tracing wires/connections first) before jumping to the 'it's a chip/board issue'.

Yeah I've got that one.
I'll use it and dig out my old flash
Paperwork

Thx

#322 11 months ago

So to follow up:
Traced the wiring from switches on left sling.
All good back to boards.
Connector had been worked on /!modified.
Reseated the connector.
Slings been working good since.

Kept having flaky segments on player 1 and 3
displays in tens spot.

Happened with old displays also.
Switched displays ribbon cables etc with no
Consistent fix.

Traced all connectors back to mpu and reseated those.
Displays working !!

So I figure I have some cold solder joints on back
of mpu that were causing my problems.

Guess I'll have to pull soon and reflow the the pins on back
Figured that's what it has to be unless someone else has any
other ideas.

1 month later
#323 9 months ago

So came back from week vacation and flipped game on and no displays or inserts coming on. Can't start game and no attract mode.
Anybody throw me a bone where to start before I dive into looking at manual. Thx .

Will check fuses first!!!

1 month later
#324 8 months ago

Anyone know the amps of the earthing/grounding strap on Alien Poker? I'm trying to purchase some more braid and there are several amp ratings available.

Unfortunately, neither the Alien Poker manual or the Williams Flipper Solid State Manual is helpful here.

5 months later
#325 87 days ago

Hey everyone -

Bought an absolute beater of an alien poker. Anyone do a playfield overlay from Classic Arcades? If so, would you recommend it? The condition of the rest of the game doesn’t warrant tossing $1000 in a new playfield, but $200 might make some sort of sense.

Opinions?

Thanks -
Mike

#326 87 days ago

I have one but have never installed it yet. It looks good but i would do a clear coat over top or at the very least put a playfield protector overtop.
I have done a few overlays and honestly at the end of the day after purchases and labour to prep, install then put a 2 part clear on it, your really not that far price wise to buy a repro playfield if available.

#327 85 days ago

What if the Royal Flush targets on Alien Poker were on a timer? What if there was an Evil Joker making it more difficult to complete the Royal Flash sequence? What if there were other ways to drop the next target in sequence? What if there was a skill shot? None of these are necessarily good ideas, but here's a proof-of-concept Youtube short, where the game awards the next target in the sequence when the ball enters the left eject hole (8 sec into the video) but whenever any of the blinking ("evil") blue Joker targets is hit, the game pops up the last of the earned targets (at 41s and 44s). I have been playing around with the Alien Poker code for a few weeks. New thread with details coming soon...

#328 81 days ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Hey everyone -
Bought an absolute beater of an alien poker. Anyone do a playfield overlay from Classic Arcades? If so, would you recommend it? The condition of the rest of the game doesn’t warrant tossing $1000 in a new playfield, but $200 might make some sort of sense.
Opinions?
Thanks -
Mike

I will go new PF. I have seen some really nasty shooter lane wear, cupped inserts.
It certainly has far less components to swap than most.
Upgrade the target bank.
I like the idea of the beat cab as long as there are no major chunks or scratched in stuff.

1 week later
#329 70 days ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

What if the Royal Flush targets on Alien Poker were on a timer? What if there was an Evil Joker making it more difficult to complete the Royal Flash sequence? What if there were other ways to drop the next target in sequence? What if there was a skill shot? None of these are necessarily good ideas, but here's a proof-of-concept Youtube short, where the game awards the next target in the sequence when the ball enters the left eject hole (8 sec into the video) but whenever any of the blinking ("evil") blue Joker targets is hit, the game pops up the last of the earned targets (at 41s and 44s). I have been playing around with the Alien Poker code for a few weeks. New thread with details coming soon...

I was never able to get your Jungle Lord ROM's to work in my game unfortunately. Am interested to see where you go in the end with Alien Poker. I feel like the soul of this game is all about being accurate in your shots, slow and steady. Timer on the flush I'm not sure sounds like what I would go for. But maybe the evil joker concept could work well into the whole shoot at very specific things or bad things happen concept. Maybe something like if you have a 2x flush multiplier, one joker is bad, 3x multiplier, 2 jokers are bad and 4x multiplier 3 jokers are bad?

I've never really looked into it because I'm not sure it fits the soul of the game, but others have added a 2 ball multiball to the game. I wonder if you could dream up some way to make that work. Maybe the multiball has to do with your evil joker bringing in a chaotic element to the game, making scoring those exact targets you want much harder, but if you can do it, you get more points? Lot's you could do I bet.

#330 70 days ago
Quoted from Firebird71:

I feel like the soul of this game is all about being accurate in your shots, slow and steady. Timer on the flush I'm not sure sounds like what I would go for.

At this stage I am just playing around. For a similar reason that you are not keen on the timer idea I am not keen on the multiball. More than one ball in play cannot be helpful for getting the flush, I am convinced. But I like timed drop targets so I may still want to try them out at some stage.

Still, I have not implemented a timer yet. What I am playing with at the moment is a version where every Royal Flush becomes more difficult than the previous one. The evil Joker is a core element of this. Having one Joker active makes the game more varied because you cannot always shoot for the same target from the same flipper. Having two Jokers active makes it much more difficult because now, there's always at least one Joker lit near the targets. Having three or four Jokers active makes it nearly impossible to complete the flush. The objective is always the same, but the progressing difficulty levels make it much more interesting to play for me. What, I only made it twice this game? I am sure I can do better than that...

2 months later
#332 3 days ago

Just picked one up yesterday - very excited to be part of the club

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-alien-poker-club-i-win-you-lose/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.