Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230413_104532 (resized).jpg
20230413_113457 (resized).jpg
20230412_185648 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
20230412_185641 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone - I'm fixing some worn out kickers on a Williams Earthshaker and just got some replacement parts in from PBR (plunger assemblies and coil sleeves). The new armature links on the tops of the plungers are thicker than the originals (look exactly like this one: https://www.thepinballwizard.net/playfield-parts/plunger-and-link-a-5103-515-5338-00/ ). It mentions in the description on that site that it is "an improved thicker link", but due to the thickness I cannot get the washer on and still put the clip into the indexed groove on the kicker assembly (see pics). Has anyone else ran into this? Am I supposed to abandon the washer or shave the armature links down (that seems counter intuitive if this was supposed to be an improvement).

If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

20230412_185641 (resized).jpg20230412_185641 (resized).jpg20230412_185648 (resized).jpg20230412_185648 (resized).jpgCapture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

Yes, you need that e-clip, otherwise the plunger will pop off, or it may bind up if it's not quite aligned.

So, two options:

1) Sand down the link (probably very difficult on such a small part).
2) Buy a different link. If that supplier only offers that one style of link, go to a different supplier who hasn't modified or "improved" the link.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, you need that e-clip, otherwise the plunger will pop off, or it may bind up if it's not quite aligned.
So, two options:
1) Sand down the link (probably very difficult on such a small part).
2) Buy a different link. If that supplier only offers that one style of link, go to a different supplier who hasn't modified or "improved" the link.

Any chance that using the clip without the washer would work?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from WalrusPin:

Any chance that using the clip without the washer would work?

Oh--sorry, I missed that there was *both* a retaining clip *and* a washer.

There really needs to be a spacer between the arm and link. Otherwise, the whole link is just scraping against the arm, causing friction, drag, and wear.

Most of the mechs I'm thinking of have a shoulder built onto the arm that creates a gap.

So, will it work without a washer? Sure. But it might not be quite as snappy as time goes on.

Personally, I'd take the time to fix it correctly.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Oh--sorry, I missed that there was *both* a retaining clip *and* a washer.
There really needs to be a spacer between the arm and link. Otherwise, the whole link is just scraping against the arm, causing friction, drag, and wear.
Most of the mechs I'm thinking of have a shoulder built onto the arm that creates a gap.
So, will it work without a washer? Sure. But it might not be quite as snappy as time goes on.
Personally, I'd take the time to fix it correctly.

I'll reach out to PBR in the morning. If he doesn't have an alternative I'll pop the roll pins and try sanding it down with some 180 grit. Thanks again for your help!

#6 1 year ago

You can use a thin mylar washer instead of the thicker metal one.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can use a thin mylar washer instead of the thicker metal one.

Was able to find a #10 nylon washer at a local hardware store that was thin enough to do the trick. Thanks again!

20230413_104532 (resized).jpg20230413_104532 (resized).jpg20230413_113457 (resized).jpg20230413_113457 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-a-5103-plunger-assembly-armature-link-too-thick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.