2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by AZKenny
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0920 (resized).jpg
    2021-07-20_131152 (resized).jpg
    2021-07-20_131210 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Two reels from my Williams Jive Time out of five buzz and chatter and I have not been able to fix it. I replaced and swapped the coil stop to no avail. I swapper the coil/sleeve itself from the good reel; same. The EOS switch seems to be OK but my testing is a direct power cable to the coil.

All that's left is the drive pawl and armature; my search online didn't find one. Does the armature go bad? How tight does it fix into the coil sleeve? When the power of a good reel is applied, the armature stays in with no sound. But the ones in question chatter and buzz with the power applied (Pinside doesn't seem to accept the .MOV file that I made.)

Any idea appreciated. Thanks, Eddie

2021-07-20_131152 (resized).jpg2021-07-20_131152 (resized).jpg2021-07-20_131210 (resized).jpg2021-07-20_131210 (resized).jpgIMG_0920 (resized).jpgIMG_0920 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

The power to these coils should be momentary -- enough to advance the reel only. They should not buzz or chatter.

You need to find the root cause of why they are being energized.

Either it is energized and not opening the EOS so they are not cutting out; or there is a stuck scoring switch somewhere.

#3 2 years ago

Are you saying that using a 24v separate power source with a hand switch is not correct? I need to operate the reel in the circuit, which then uses the EOS switch, as designed.

#4 2 years ago

If it is actually buzzing/energized while you are playing, you need to find out why. It's not the reel itself that is the problem.

It is not meant to be constantly energized; you might burn up the coil by doing so. Quick check in an ohm calculator for that coil shows it to draw about 3 amps at 24V.

#5 2 years ago

The pin is all apart. I have a test transformer that I use to test the coils. Since some don't buzz and some do, I thought that it must be the reel. However, I will put the backboard aside and see what happens when the pin is all together and connected as it should be; this might be a few months.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#6 2 years ago

I owned a Jive Time many years ago and never had any such problem. Whenever testing a game you should always make sure whatever you are testing is done in the proper context. (I.e. playfield and scoring In the live position, game over in game over position, start in the start position etc.). All these people that use jumpers and try to bypass circuits damage games, blow fuses, and waste a lot of time. AZKenny

#7 2 years ago

redrock -- make sure the game is off. Then prop up your playfield and see if any switches are stuck. Inspect the points on each thing that scores 10 or 100 points and make sure the blades have a small gap. By the way, Jive Time is only one of a few games that can be both a replay and add-a-ball game at the same time. AZKenny

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-70s-score-reel-buzzing-chatter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.