• Latest reply 6 years ago by Jerry208
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3588 (resized).PNG
#1 6 years ago

I just bought a JOLLY ROGER machine. It's only my 3rd machine. It has 1 5" bell for the 100 point reels. How can I make it sound like an actual bell instead of some muffled "Donk... Donk... Donk" noise?
I've pulled the bell out, and even out of the machine the bell doesn't have any real "Ding" to it...

#2 6 years ago

Well, without any pictures of yours, I can only make some guesses.

Nylon plunger tip worn/gone?

Rubber mounting grommets hardened/dried out?

Gong not mounted properly?

Correct coil installed?

#3 6 years ago

Pbr has new bells back.

IMG_3588 (resized).PNGIMG_3588 (resized).PNG

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Nylon plunger tip worn/gone?
Rubber mounting grommets hardened/dried out?
Gong not mounted properly?
Correct coil installed?

All of this except I don't think there are grommets on this one.

I have a Jolly Roger and the bells sound fine. Loud, but fine. Sometimes the bell comes loose on its mount, other times it can be the acoustics from the cabinet or where the game is. I've had some where I never could get the bells to sound right, and a lot of that I think is where it is mounted in the cabinet instead of the head. But as mentioned the ones on my Jolly Roger are good,

1 week later
#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, but I found the problem. A previous owner didn't like the loud bell so the put a piece of self stick weather insulation all the way around the outside of the bell, leaving only about an inch for the plunger to hit the bell. This deadened the bell about 90%. I scraped off the foam insulation... OMGosh ! LOUD AND CLEAR - DING !!! DING !!! I might even put some of it back on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-5-bell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.