• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Backglass (resized).jpg
Teacher'sPet (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I have a 1962 Williams 3 Coins and was curious about the name. I came across this 1955 Frank Sinatra song that won an Oscar in 1955. It was also a film of the same name. Agree? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Coins_in_the_Fountain_(song) The back glass relates well to the lyrics.

#2 2 years ago

Not a bad guess. Game themes were (and still are) often influenced by pop culture.

#3 2 years ago

I read somewhere that Willliam's 1965 Teacher's Pet was influenced by the 1958 Doris Day movie of the same name.

Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpgTeacher'sPet (resized).jpgTeacher'sPet (resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

Seems to be the ladies throwing coins into a wishing well

On the playfield, the coins are American, ? and French

Not sure what it means since the game is card-themed too

#5 2 years ago

Yes, the movie is absolutely where the title of that pinball came from. It's a well known movie and song. I stayed at a hotel right next to the Trevi fountain in Rome and passed by it several times a day while there. The coins in the title are thrown into the Trevi fountain.

The legend of the Trevi fountain says that if you throw a coin in the fountain while visiting Rome that you will return.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

The legend of the Trevi fountain says that if you throw a coin in the fountain while visiting Rome that you will return.

The legend of the 3 Coins pinball machine is if you put a coin in it. You will return.

LTG : )

#7 2 years ago

I think Neil Page originally wrote and performed the song on the way back to Chicago.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-3-coins-name-origin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.