(Topic ID: 60715)

Williams 3-7 Solenoid Driver Tester. Simple to build your own.

By barakandl

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HHaase
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130510_095331_443.jpg
    20130822_230213.jpg
    20130822_223001.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I built a Williams System 3-7 solenoid driver tester today I felt like showing off. This makes testing every solenoid circuit safer and easier.

The design is very straightforward. One LED for each solenoid. Positive side of every LED is in common and gets a wire with an alligator clip on the end (to attach to +5 VDC). Negative lead of every LED goes through a resistor (i used 270 ohm because i had a ton of them) than out to a connector wired just like a normal game would be.

20130822_223001.jpg20130822_223001.jpg 20130822_230213.jpg20130822_230213.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I have 3 of Hans' testers, makes testing the solenoid drivers easy. And they weren't super expensive, either. I use them on sys 3-11.

#3 10 years ago

I thought about making a universal one with connectors on the tester board, but went with specific ones...

Next up, a lamp matrix tester.

#4 10 years ago

I can understand making something because you want to, but Hans also has an awesome lamp matrix tester for $18 shipped...

http://www.siegecraft.us/pinball/lampmatrixtester.html

Make cables to fit whatever generations of boards you repair... I've used mine on Sys 3 up through WPC.

#5 10 years ago

Nice job!

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I have 3 of Hans' testers, makes testing the solenoid drivers easy. And they weren't super expensive, either. I use them on sys 3-11.

Been finding all sorts of neat places they work. I used one on the display header in conjunction with Andre's boot rom. Also works on the sound PIA header for System 7 CPU boards.

-Hans

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I can understand making something because you want to, but Hans also has an awesome lamp matrix tester for $18 shipped...
    http://www.siegecraft.us/pinball/lampmatrixtester.html
    Make cables to fit whatever generations of boards you repair... I've used mine on Sys 3 up through WPC.

Have all of Hans' tools - alll good stuff. I keep meaning to make a switch harness tester for Sega/Stern W/S - too many other projects in the way.

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Been finding all sorts of neat places they work. I used one on the display header in conjunction with Andre's boot rom.

Nice - thought about trying that on the next board I worked on after noticing my hacked together one looked a lot like your solenoid tester - though yours looks WAY better. Glad to know it works!

viperrwk

#9 10 years ago

I like to tinker, so I enjoy making things like this.

Hans, do you use it on the sound board connector to just see if the PIA is cycling with the test rom?

I have been meaning to make a LED tester for the Andre test rom. It is hard to interperet the flash results with the normal on mpu board diag LEDs.

#10 10 years ago

You can do that, or you can also boot the board on the bench and run it through the sound test cycle too. Since mine are based on 9 pin headers, it's a bit short to also test the comma pins for the display out as the CPU board header is IIRC 11 or 12 pins.

-Hans

#11 10 years ago

I wish I would have known about Hans's lamp tester before I had created my own. Barakandl thanks for sharing the info on your board. I have been thinking about making my own solenoid test board. This looks like a simple layout that I may have to play with this weekend.

IMG_20130510_095331_443.jpgIMG_20130510_095331_443.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Well, judging by the date on your board, you did yours about the same time I made mine..... perhaps a bit earlier. So don't feel too bad about it.

The solenoid board is brutally simple as far as layout. You're just looking at an LED and resistor per circuit, and if you don't mind the board space on it you can also add in buttons/switches for the special solenoids.

-Hans

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-3-7-solenoid-driver-tester-simple-to-build-your-own and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.