(Topic ID: 10006)

Williams 3-7 MPU board help

By perryd

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

If the board goes through the self test with both LED's flashing quickly then going off, upon pushing the test button, this make the board good, correct? I am having some minor issues with with
machine functioning 100%, then a few odd things like target coils not resetting and pop bumper lights on and sometimes off.

I replaced the large cap on the Power Board, replaced female interconnect pins on board, reflowed all joints on connectors on all three boards.

My main question is if the MPU board has the Scanbe chip sockets, would this cause intermittent problems even though the LEDS blinked like they should have during tests.

Just trying to isolate a few of these gremlins on Stellar Wars machines to get it up and running 100%.

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks
p

#2 12 years ago

Did you replace/reseat the 40 pin inter-connector between the CPU and Driver board?
Did you check the 40 male pins on the CPU board, and checked for cracked solder joints on both CPU and driver board?

#3 12 years ago

yes, I reflowed/added new solder to all the connectors on all the boards. Male pins were not replaced, had bright color, no discoloration, so I did not replace those.

thanks
p

#4 12 years ago

A little more information needed...try to be as detailed as possible:

SW has two target banks....Neither one reset ever? Both reset sometimes? One or the other reset never or sometimes?

Pop bumpers....Five Pops....All go out at once? Some go out and others are on? Other GI lights go out or just the pops? Are the pops on GI or MPU driven lamps (I don't have a schematic for Stellar Wars)?

#5 12 years ago

Could be any of these. Scanbe sockets, black PROM legs, battery corrosion, failing 40 pin interconnector… these are all very bad things on Williams system3-6 games

#6 12 years ago

SW has three target banks, Most reset as they should but periodically the center target will not
reset after the targets are down. When new ball is launched they do reset though....

Pop bumper all work, I was just talking about the lights on the bumpers. In attract mode all pop bumper lights work. then sometimes during gameplay, the lights don't function, but coils still fire as they should when triggered.

Not sure if Pops are on GI or MPU, will check on that...I did replace the 40 pin interconnect pin -female side only (males were not burnt, looked good) and reflowed solder on all pins.

any additional tips would be appreciated.

thanks
p

#7 12 years ago

Okay, center target not resetting is most likely one of the three switches is not making consistently, so it doesn't know to reset all three. Change of ball automatically resets the bank no matter how many targets down. That's an easy one to fix.

If all the lights are going out on the pops, I'd be looking at the GI string. Check your schematics and see what else is on this GI string and if those lights go out. If only the pop lights are on it and ALL of them go out at once, then probably a header pin/connector. If only some pops go out, then a loose GI wire in the string somewhere.

#8 12 years ago

Another possibility with the pop bumper lamps, are the sockets. The pop bumper socket bottom lamp contact may not be making a solid connection with the lamp. There are a couple of ways to deal with the problem, such as replacing the socket, using a hooked tool to adjust the contact or wedging a piece of rubber under the contact to hold it up against the bottom of the lamp (cut a slice out of a rubber ring.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-3-7-mpu-board-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.