(Topic ID: 119626)

Williams 3-6 display question

By CadillacMusic

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Quick question. Got a firepower in which all displays are missing segment d, the bottom segment. It's an IC version, not discrete. I'm thinking it must be the BCD decoder, because if it were anything else, it would be only some displays missing the segment. So I guess question one is: Is there any way that IC4 could be involved, or is just likely to be one of the BCD decoders? And question two is: How to you tell which decoder it is? Are the ABCDs that come in on 4j6 just the names of what re more or less data lines? Why use the same four letters with two sub numbers?

#2 9 years ago

If segment 'd' is missing on all the displays, both decoders would have the same issue. The ball/credit, Player 1 and Player 2 are controlled by IC5 or IC6 (depends on which is loaded), and Player 3/4 are handled by IC7 or IC8 (depends on which is loaded).

#3 9 years ago

So it's more likely to be a connector issue? It's got the problem across two mpu/driver boards, so it's not the boardset. I mean it could be both chips failing the same. It just seems unlikely.

#4 9 years ago

Agreed, it seems unlikely but not totally impossible.

Can you tell if someone replaced any of the IC5/6 or IC7/8 at sometime in the past? Which ones are loaded?

#5 9 years ago

Don't have the board here with me right this second. Your confirmation has made me feel much more confident in dealing with it, though, so I should be able to fix it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

#6 9 years ago

I will help as I can. I would also suggest taking a close look at the edge connectors themselves. They are notorious for loosening up.

Brett

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-3-6-display-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.