You

Linked Games

• 21 Williams, 1960

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams Rocket.pdf (PDF preview)
Capture (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I recently picked up a Williams 21 which is in really bad shape. I got it to turn on and a handful of lights on the back glass and on the play field light up. The machine is missing its coin door, however I think I found the correct wires to trigger the start of a game.

Whenever I do trigger the start of a game, the ball release coil energizes and releases the balls, and the back most relay which I believe is the game over relay stays on and buzzes. The only issue is none of the flippers work. Plus the score reels never reset either.

I think the machine is stuck in a state where it can’t finish the initial startup sequence due to something being in the wrong position. However, I can’t seem to find schematics anywhere for this machine to determine which items need to be reset to trigger the game to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Do a search for ‘Williams startup sequence’ to get a chronological description of the things that need to happen. It sounds like the score motor isn’t running, which would precede the score reels, so you should have relatively few things to check.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from fmspin:

I think the machine is stuck in a state where it can’t finish the initial startup sequence due to something being in the wrong position. However, I can’t seem to find schematics anywhere for this machine to determine which items need to be reset to trigger the game to start.

This snippet is from a '59 Rocket, but hopefully is somewhat similar. Have you checked all of the switches on the ball trough? Also give the Lock relay a good lookover.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png

#4 2 years ago

You may have a two-coil Start Relay as (partly) shown in the snippet from currieddog or you may have a Coin Relay. Either way, they typically (in that era) would turn on a Reset Relay to do all the heavy reset work. Since this game has both score reels (for card points) and stepper units (for thousands and millions), there is a lot to do.

You'll probably need to get comfortable with actuating relays and steppers by hand, first with the power off, then with the power on. The diagnostic technique I have in mind is that while it's trying to reset, you manually help the steppers get to their reset positions. If the Reset Relay drops off when everything is properly reset, then you start isolating the various things that had to reset. You can also look at the Reset Relay and see if there are switches that are stuck closed or open.

Pinball Resource might have the schematic.

Also, it helps to put your city/town in your profile. You might be near a helpful Pinsider.
.................David Marston

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

You may have a two-coil Start Relay as (partly) shown in the snippet from currieddog or you may have a Coin Relay.

Haha, so used to posting snippets ... here is the whole thing.

Williams Rocket.pdfWilliams Rocket.pdf
#6 2 years ago

Pinball Resource should have the schematic.

http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html

#7 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information! I'm going to start looking at manually resetting some of the reels and relays outline by the startup sequence this weekend. And thanks for the schematic! It at least gives me a rough idea of some of the basics for my era of machine!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-21-pinball-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.