• Latest reply 5 years ago by Kimster
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14B205AE-F916-44FB-8F5E-2B3DB9640B62 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I’ve had my William’s Comet for some time. I’ve just gone through it with a buddy and fixed everything that was burnt out or otherwise disabled and replaced all of the iridescent bulbs with LEDs. It’s now playing 100% and the playing board really pops with the new LEDs. However, there’s still a couple of aspects about the scoring that I don’t get.

1. There are two vertical rows of numeric values on either side of the board, each containing the numbers 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32, and each labeled “OUTHOLE BONUS” W/L (when lite) (see attached photo). Now, I see that these values double with each progression in the sequence. But I don’t see where the bonus is awarded. In addition, sometimes two or more of these numbers can be lite at the same time, e.g. 1 and 4. I’m not sure how I collect the bonus, or how to calculate the bonus value based on which numbers are lite.

2. In the middle of the board are three red jewels: 2X, 3X, and 5X. I don’t understand what needs to be done to light these multipliers, nor do I understand which targets are multiplied by these bonus values...when lite. Is it everything on the board, or just certain things?

I should mention that I have reviewed both the Comet Manual and the on-line Comet Rule Sheet and still do not find clarification concerning these matters. Any assistance that anyone can provide in an attempt to educate me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you before hand.
Kimster

14B205AE-F916-44FB-8F5E-2B3DB9640B62 (resized).jpeg14B205AE-F916-44FB-8F5E-2B3DB9640B62 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

For the first part of your question, those are likely your bonus. You should get those when you finish a ball. With the numbers doubling, you can have different combinations to equal any number: 9 would be 8+1. 12 = 8+4, 13 = 8+4+1, etc. I think there’s something to the two sides, perhaps with the rabbits and ducks, to decide which one you get when the ball drains. Not sure.

Looks like he red ones multiply everything, but I’m not sure what activates them, either. Might not multiply the bonus...

Jeff

#3 5 years ago

Thank you, Jeff.

#4 5 years ago

The red multiplier lights in the middle are a playfield multiplier. You light them by spelling 1986 with the top rollover targets. If you light 1986 on ball 1 you get 2x playfield for about 20 seconds. If it’s on ball 2 it’s 3x and on ball 3 it’s 5x. That’s when you can get a million, ball 3, light 1986 and shoot the cycle jump ramp when it’s lit, 200,000 times 5 is 1 million.

The bonus lights are collected at the end of ball as well as each time you finish making the bank of standups on the side they are on and then hit the collect bonus shots. When you compete the left bank of standups you can then shoot the corkscrew ramp to collect the bonus. When you compete the right bank you can shoot the funhouse to collect the bonus. At the end of a ball you are awarded one of the bonuses. On ball 1 it’s the left orange bonus on ball 2 it’s the right white ones and on ball 3 it’s the left orange ones again. You can increase the end of ball bonus by hitting the target behind the dummy. You increase the bonus by shooting the center comet ramp, the cycle jump ramp, the stand up targets and the in lane and outlanes.

#5 5 years ago

Thank you so much, Parkshow 30, for the great explanation! I’ll use this as a reference until I’ve got it down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1985-comet-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.