Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

defenders.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Got an E-mail from a member on another Forum that a guy has a Defender Pinball 4-Sale.. He's ask-n $ 1300.00 .. I personally have Never seen 1-n-Person ,, Anyone Here Own or have Played it ?

Here's the Link to the Pin.. I believe Only 369 were Produced ..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67343113@N07/sets/72157627845563805/

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Defender&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#651

#2 12 years ago

The pin is rare but I think 1300 is all in . Never played one and the only thing that makes it interesting is the fact they did not make many .

Get and LED it out,then take great pictures of it and show it off.. I am sure you can get it for cheaper than 1300 if you wear your cool helmet with horns !

Jim

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

the pin is rare but I think 1300 is all in

I agree !! I told my contact to send an Offer to him of $ 900 for me.. Just because it's Different and I haven't owned it yet.. Plus he's got a Couple More Pin's i hear ,, I'll take some Xtra $$ , You Never Know.. We'll see !!!

#4 12 years ago

Man I am jealous . I have not bought a new pin in about 2 months ! This is the longest dry spell for me since I got into the hobby 4 years ago ..

Good luck on get some more pins !

Jim

#5 12 years ago

I know from whence you speak....When I first saw the posted ad, I thought 'cool', but after about 3.8 minutes I came to my senses and realized what a dog this pin really is. Do a quick google on RGP and you'll see that even tho the pin has a low production rate, they come up for sale pretty often...Ask yourself why?

#6 12 years ago

Get it for bonus with the other machines ! note of 7.3 on ipdb sounds sad.. but beautiful colors !

#7 12 years ago

Anyone know what the upper flipper buttons are for?

#8 12 years ago

Cabinet art is sweeet!

http://www.ipdb.org/images/651/image-3.jpg

Post edited by TheDude : add link

#9 12 years ago

Don't know anything about it, but I have to agree with Dude, the cab is sweet. It just screams 80's arcade.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheDude:

Anyone know what the upper flipper buttons are for?

I played Defender a while back, I think you use the top flipper to hit a shot to lock the ball for extra ball. it's kind of hard to get the ball in the upper part of the playfield and that top flipper acts kind of like a catapult. Correct me if I am wrong Black_Rose. It was a fun pin and looked great in the dark.

#11 12 years ago

I have one. $1300 is way too much unless it's in perfect shape. I think I paid $750 for mine but the backglass is in rough shape and it's not working correctly now (random tilts, resets, etc.)

One upper button is a "smart bomb" which drops all the alien drop down targets and the other one is "hyperspace", which acts like a player-controlled kickback for the left outlane. It's an intriguing game because the rules roughly parallel those of the arcade game and there are tons of drops. I have not played it much because I need to fix it.

defenders.jpgdefenders.jpg

#12 12 years ago

One of my friends had one. It is a much better game than the ratings and production numbers suggest (like Cosmic Gunfight). it was brought out when Pinball was in crisis-hence the low numbers.
    It has interesting sounds
    lots of targets
    Pop up targets on the play-field
    Multiball
    a manually activated out-lane kickback (which I tend to forget about until it is too late)
    and a smart bomb feature that collects lit scaores, just like the defenders video game.

Its not the deepest but a good game non the less. In my opinion it must be worth 1000-1200 if in good working condition, because of its rarity and title.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I have not played it much because I need to fix it.

Get it fixed it is worth it.

#14 12 years ago

Will see if my offer goes thru ,, if it Does ,, 120 mile's Rd-trip isn't to bad to Turn around and come Home with noth-n.. and RGP ,, I don't go there .. I Hate that Place..

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

Get it fixed it is worth it. []

It's on my "to-do" list behind shopping HS2.

#16 12 years ago

First Defender and now TFTC.....Your 'to-do' list is getting long!

#17 12 years ago

I think this pin is way cool, but I'm an unapologetic Williams arcade fanboy. My only gripe is the lack of any background sounds. Would still be cool to own one.

Shawn

#18 12 years ago

It's mine and I'm firm on the price. It has new drop target stickers, plastics and flipper coils/sleeves and 100% complete and working perfectly. I bought it back in 1997 and have taken very good care of it. I'm not making much on this after 14 years of giving it the good life. It was always a show piece for its rarity and didn't see much action.

#19 12 years ago

Well Tek , I guess you Want be calling me now.. You was PM'd my # on the other site..

$1300 is way too much unless it's in perfect shape. I think I paid $750 for mine

and i agree .. Good Luck !!

#20 12 years ago

Price guide from Mr. Pinball 2010 quotes $1400. If playfield and backglass are in above average condition,I definitely think this is a reasonable price. I would be tempted myself if I lived nearby.

Good luck with the sale Tekman, though I doubt you will need it.

Shawn

#21 12 years ago

I owned one and if i was closer and did not just bought a new pin and looking at another in Atlanta.........

#22 12 years ago

Just curious..... What other arcade games became pinball?

SI
    Joust
    Defender
    Pacman
    Qbert

Others?

#23 12 years ago

Hi Tekman. Post some pictures! If it's nice as you say it is, i think your asking price is fair for something as rare as that machine is. They made 362? I guess the real proof will be if somebody pays it, though. It's a fun game that makes amusing video game noises. It's no AFM, that's for sure.

#24 12 years ago

B_R had the link for pictures in his first post.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67343113@N07/sets/72157627845563805/

I will be making less than $280 from what I have in it. I feel that $280 is worth virtually zero wear in the last 14 years. Look at the pictures. The condition is relative to other existing Defenders and I'm not saying it's mint or I would be asking more.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from Tekman:

I will be making less than $280 from what I have in it. I feel that $280 is worth virtually zero wear in the last 14 years. Look at the pictures. The condition is relative to other existing Defenders and I'm not saying it's mint or I would be asking more

If someone showed it some love clear coat will hide the swirls and most of the spots can be touched up easy. (black areas and insert edges)

Really would like to see a true collector of rare pins get this one.

#26 12 years ago

No DMD BR, you won't keep it fifteen minutes lol....

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrTechnoBarn:

No DMD BR, you won't keep it fifteen minutes lol....

Yr right Techno .. Thanks for gett-n me back on the Right Track..

#28 12 years ago

Part it out. I'll give you 300 for the backglass

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from Tekman:

I'm not making much on this after 14 years of giving it the good life. It was always a show piece for its rarity and didn't see much action.

That is Awesome !! I've been Married ( how many Time's ) -- 14 Yr's is a Long time to Hold onto something.. None of my Marriage's have lasted that Long..

#30 12 years ago

Part it out. I'll give you 300 for the backglass

wouldn't it be cheaper for you to buy his complete machine and sell your's? just sayin'...

#31 12 years ago

How so?

$750 + $300 + shipping = roughly $1100

compared with...

$1300 + $200 in gas and a day wasted. Rather spend my time/money on better games anyway. Defender is cool because of the rareness factor, but for $1300 there are tons of better games.

#32 12 years ago

$1300 + $200 in gas and a day wasted. Rather spend my time/money on better games anyway. Defender is cool because of the rareness factor, but for $1300 there are tons of better games.

I really don't think the seller have a hard time selling this at all. I think what makes his price more sound, is the condition of the backglass... Supposedly, these backglasses were prone to flaking, big time... Ipdb says a run of 369 units; I'll bet just a little over half have a nice backglass...

If I was closer I might bite... wish it was a Cosmic Gunfight though!

#33 12 years ago

I really don't think the seller have a hard time selling this at all. I think what makes his price more sound is the condition of the backglass... Supposedly, these backglasses were prone to flaking, big time... Ipdb says a run of 369 units; I'll bet just a liitle over half have a nice backglass...

If I was closer I might bite... wish it was a Cosmic Gunfight though!

#34 12 years ago

How so?
    $750 + $300 + shipping = roughly $1100
    compared with...

I don't want to discuss the particulars of your transaction over the internet but your numbers are wrong. Either that or i didn't give that guy the right amount of money when he dropped it off.

Anyhow, I think his machine is nicer than your's and you'd be hard-pressed to get your's in the shape his is in for what he's asking.

You are 100% correct that your money would be better spent on better games!

3 weeks later
    #35 12 years ago

Well it's look's like this Defender is Listed again @ a Lower Price.. He can't seem to give it away..

From $ 1300.00 to $ 1100.00 .. Harrisburg , NC ... Good Luck !!!

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Well it's look's like this Defender is Listed again @ a Lower Price.. He can't seem to give it away..

It's probably the same situation as previous pins I've had before - No matter what the title or rarity pre DMD machines just don't get the love as their newer counterparts. I own a Rock Encore dedicated cabinet machine, less than 250 are shown to be made and dedicated cabinets were rarer still. However if I decide to ever sell it I probably couldn't give it away because it's pre DMD. It's kinda sad because some of the older titles were really great games....

#37 12 years ago

I just sold mine for a grand and it didn't even work and had F-ed up backglass.

#38 12 years ago

I just sold mine for a grand and it didn't even work and had F-ed up backglass.

You should be Ashamed of yr-self . Was it his 1st Pinball ?

#39 12 years ago

No he has like 50 and he's opening an arcade in NC. Let's get there and get drunk.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

B_R, Just because I din't give you the time of day with your low ball $900 offer, you don't need to keep crying about it. I'm not trying to start anything, but seriously man, time to give it a rest.

#41 12 years ago

No he has like 50 and he's opening an arcade in NC. Let's get there and get drunk.

Let me know when yr down this way ,, The 1st 12-pack is on me ..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1982-defender-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.