Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BadSolder1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Among the last problems I am having with my EM, the bank reset is not resetting and I am not getting the Suit (Hearts, Diamonds, etc..) lights at startup. It works about 5% of the time. It looks like this coil (D-24-1400) is fired by either the Coin or Hole contacts making the series connection to 110V, but I see one set of contacts just to the right of these labeled "C and C-4" just under the toggle switch? Anyone know what this is?

In theory, if I just move the Coin or Hole contacts together, should this bank reset coil at least try to move? I found the fuse to it intact, but it is not a 1.6 Amp fuse, but a 1 Amp, Slow Blow.

I will add that I sprayed some professional grade contact cleaner (DeoxiT) into the Coin and Hole area contacts and it seems to be doing a little better after about 10 plays. I also removed all of the Jones Plugs from the head and base and cleaned these as best I could.

Sorry I cannot add a picture from this computer.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

I sprayed some professional grade contact cleaner (DeoxiT) into the Coin and Hole area contacts

Sorry but that was a mistake. What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.

Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

I see one set of contacts just to the right of these labeled "C and C-4" just under the toggle switch? Anyone know what this is?

It's this switch on the motor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 4 years ago

Thanks, HowardR!

#4 4 years ago

I finally got into the works with a meter and find at least continuity from the Bank Reset coil, through the Jones Plug and up to both the Coin and Hole relay contacts. I don't see any arcing from the motor cog as it moves in the cam. I will pull the wires from the Bank Reset and measure the resistance of the coil tomorrow and see if the coil is actually connected on the other side to the transformer mains rail. Lots of fun.

#5 4 years ago

Contact cleaner will fix absolutely nothing. Throw that can out and never use it again.

#6 4 years ago

With machine unplugged: Check C-1 on the outhole relay. Check for broken wires, cold solder’s. Check the wires on the D24-1400 coil. Also check the C-1 switch, that it is properly spaced.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

With machine unplugged: Check C-1 on the outhole relay. Check for broken wires, cold solder’s. Check the wires on the D24-1400 coil. Also check the C-1 switch, that it is properly spaced.

This is my next check as I was looking at the wrong cam switch before. Learning something new everyday here.

#8 4 years ago

Followed the wiring from the coil, over the Jones Plug, across both Coin and Hole contacts and up to the Cam 4 switch - all good. Went back to the coil and looked really, really closely to the tab and saw a dry solder connection on the base of the tab to the coil wire! Arggggg...... All good. Now on to fixing the Player Index Reel.

Thanks to everyone's input and I have a new test jig to boot!

BadSolder1 (resized).jpgBadSolder1 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

100% Done. Thanks everyone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1977-big-deal-bank-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.