Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.54.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.38.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.32.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.31.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.31.33 PM.png
Annotation 2020-05-21 115347 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hi all,

Picked up a Space Mission project machine recently and I'm not sure how to resolve this issue. The coil for the 1-Point stepper for player 1 is roasted, which isn't a huge deal - something is stuck somewhere that needs to be unstuck. The problem is that according to the schematic (https://www.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf) this coil doesn't exist as far as I can tell, so I can't trace it back to whatever is energizing it. There does seem to be an issue with the 50-point relay since the 3 switches (circled below) advance the score unit but not the 10-Point DU; however, the 10-point relay works fine, and I can't imagine why a bad 50-point relay would cause problems with the 1-Point stepper coil. So, my big question: why is the 1-Point DU/coil not indicated in the schematics, and what could keep it constantly energized?

Annotation 2020-05-21 115347 (resized).pngAnnotation 2020-05-21 115347 (resized).png
#2 3 years ago

The lowest reels and relays it has are 10s. What would be the 1s are dummy reels. So, same thought: look for stuck switches.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

The lowest reels and relays it has are 10s. What would be the 1s are dummy reels. So, same thought: look for stuck switches.

Is there anything more specific I should check besides "everything?" I would assume the purpose of having the coil on an unused reel would be to set it back to 0 if it ever got moved back somehow, but I've already checked all the switches on the reset stack and they're ok. what would it be "piggybacking" off of it doesn't have its own circuit?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Insanity_Falls:

Is there anything more specific I should check besides "everything?" I would assume the purpose of having the coil on an unused reel would be to set it back to 0 if it ever got moved back somehow, but I've already checked all the switches on the reset stack and they're ok. what would it be "piggybacking" off of it doesn't have its own circuit?

Maybe it's me, but I've read the description a few times and still can't tell what exactly you're asking about. There is no 1-point stepper/relay/DU since the game only scores multiples of 10 points. Can you clarify what you mean? It almost sounded like you were referring to the 10-point score reel as the 1-point, but that doesn't make sense with your other questions. Which coil are you calling the 'coil for the 1-point stepper for player 1'?

Also - is the problem with scoring 50 points related to this? Again, if you could clarify what's going on and what the question is it would help. It sounds like you are saying 10 points scores normally, but 50 points doesn't (which is an easy one to assist with if that's what you meant).

#5 3 years ago

You have a stuck playfield switch. Remove the plastics and stick a straw over all of the playfield switches that score ten points. Press the start button, if the 10 pt reel acts normal, start removing the straws. You should be able to narrow it down to the stuck switch.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

You have a stuck playfield switch. Remove the plastics and stick a straw over all of the playfield switches that score ten points. Press the start button, if the 10 pt reel acts normal, start removing the straws. You should be able to narrow it down to the stuck switch.

Learn something new every day being nosy and checking out other peoples problems. I use thin cardboard off of packaging, which of course falls off now and then before you want it too. The straw idea is great!!!!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Remove the plastics and stick a straw over all of the playfield switches that score ten points.

Brilliant!!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Maybe it's me, but I've read the description a few times and still can't tell what exactly you're asking about. There is no 1-point stepper/relay/DU since the game only scores multiples of 10 points. Can you clarify what you mean? It almost sounded like you were referring to the 10-point score reel as the 1-point, but that doesn't make sense with your other questions. Which coil are you calling the 'coil for the 1-point stepper for player 1'?
Also - is the problem with scoring 50 points related to this? Again, if you could clarify what's going on and what the question is it would help. It sounds like you are saying 10 points scores normally, but 50 points doesn't (which is an easy one to assist with if that's what you meant).

You’re reading it correctly. There is a stepper unit for the scoring reel that would be the rightmost one when standing in front of the machine. If incremented once after a reset, the score would read 00001. You can push the stepper arm with your finger and it will increment the reel. There’s nothing worth <10 points in the game, but there’s a coil there that’s absolutely scorched. All 4 players have coils and steppers in that position, but only player 1’s has the look and texture of an Arby’s curly fry. I’m trying to figure out where the heck the power is coming from.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

The 10-point reel acts normal in every way except for failing to increment when the 50-point relay is activated, but that’s true for all 4 players and the other 3 don’t look like they’ve been charbroiled.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Learn something new every day being nosy and checking out other peoples problems. I use thin cardboard off of packaging, which of course falls off now and then before you want it too. The straw idea is great!!!!

Works every time. You need to use large straws. Borrow a handful from the Golden Arches, they will work. Sometimes you have to make two small cuts on each side of straw to get it over the switch. Has solved many problems for me.

#11 3 years ago

You’re reading it correctly. There is a stepper unit for the scoring reel that would be the rightmost one when standing in front of the machine. If incremented once after a reset, the score would read 00001. You can push the stepper arm with your finger and it will increment the reel. There’s nothing worth <10 points in the game, but there’s a coil there that’s absolutely scorched. All 4 players have coils and steppers in that position, but only player 1’s has the look and texture of an Arby’s curly fry. I’m trying to figure out where the heck the power is coming from.

Can you post a photo of your backbox and the fried coil? You should only have coils/steppers for four digits on each player. There should be nothing but empty space behind the dummy bottom digit - it's literally just a sticker showing '0'.

I don't doubt you have a fried coil and something stuck, we just need to clarify what is fried first.

#12 3 years ago

The 10-point reel acts normal in every way except for failing to increment when the 50-point relay is activated, but that’s true for all 4 players and the other 3 don’t look like they’ve been charbroiled.

Here is the flow to trace for the 50 point scoring:

1) Closing one of the 50 point playfield switches fires the 50 point relay, which closes its switch to latch itself on.
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.31.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.31.33 PM.png
2) The score motor starts turning once the 50 point relay switch closes.
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.49.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.49.38 PM.png
3) The 10 point relay path is fired through the 50 point relay switch ..
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.31.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.31.58 PM.png
4) .. once for each pulse on the score motor impulse cam.
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.32.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.32.19 PM.png
5) The 10 point drum unit coil is fired for the current player as long as tilt isn't active.
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.38.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.38.00 PM.png
6) Once score motor cam 5 pulses, the 50 point relay is cut off and the score motor stops turning.
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.54.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.54.01 PM.png

That should give you the full path of switches and coils to check. I would confirm first if the 50 point relay is firing, then confirm if the 10 point relay is firing. Based on that and the flow above, we should be able to figure out where to go next. Let us know what you find.

#13 3 years ago

You’re reading it correctly. There is a stepper unit for the scoring reel that would be the rightmost one when standing in front of the machine.

A hack? How many working reels per player are there?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Can you post a photo of your backbox and the fried coil? You should only have coils/steppers for four digits on each player. There should be nothing but empty space behind the dummy bottom digit - it's literally just a sticker showing '0'.
I don't doubt you have a fried coil and something stuck, we just need to clarify what is fried first.

Unfortunately, I immediately realized after posting this topic that it was a terrible time to do so because I won’t be getting back to my workspace until Monday. However, so many of you guys seem so certain that I’m wrong that I’m starting to believe that maybe I just can’t count to 4. I’m going to triple-check the reels Monday and if I’m just that dumb then I’ll have to eat a flipper rubber or something to make up for it.

#15 3 years ago

I’m going to triple-check the reels Monday and if I’m just that dumb then I’ll have to eat a flipper rubber or something to make up for it.

Don't waste a good one!!

#16 3 years ago

So... anybody got any good flipper rubber recipes? Asking for a friend.

#17 3 years ago

So... anybody got any good flipper rubber recipes? Asking for a friend.

He he he, I hear it is a dish best eaten raw

Did you happen to get photos or figure out a new description of the problem(s)?

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

He he he, I hear it is a dish best eaten raw
Did you happen to get photos or figure out a new description of the problem(s)?

Well, I guess there's my complete inability to do basic arithmetic, so if you have any advice in that regard I'm apparently in desperate need of it. Otherwise I should be able to handle it from here now that I'm no longer chasing a circuit that doesn't exist.

I do have another question that may warrant a separate thread, but might as well throw it out there. Is there a replacement part for these light diffuser tubes? There are two more in the top right of the table behind the standup target and one of them crumbled into dust when I removed it. I'm sure I can find a functional replacement at Home Depot if I need to but I'd rather use the "right" part if possible.

IMG_4513 (resized).jpgIMG_4513 (resized).jpg
#19 3 years ago

Is there a replacement part for these light diffuser tubes?

Yep: http://www.pbresource.com/lampcov.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1976-space-mission-1st-player-1-point-du-coil-stuck?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.