(Topic ID: 170431)

williams 1976 grand prix ball count

By BarryMulvihill

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

in 1 player game, game stops after second ball drains. it does not say game over. if it is a 2,3,4, player game, the first player, ball #2, always stops game as well.. bonuses ARE collected, and then just nothing.

hoping i can get a lead. you guys are awesome.
-barry.

#2 7 years ago

Hi Barry
from post-1 I take a "ONE-player-game" works fine - the problem shows up when playing a 2,3,4-player-game when the first player looses ball-2. This is strange - by now I do not have an explanation so I ask questions to help me getting to the place for to investigate.

I refer to http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1072&picno=35542 - in the picture (on the bottom) the left arrow is lit - when the player looses the ball: He gets 5000 bonus points due to "lightet LEFT Bonus-Ladder". Please play a ONE-Player-Game - well, have the playfield up and manipulate on the playfield - I ask You to always have / make some bonus on the left and have / make some bonus on the right (NOT the same amount, good example: 2 on the left, 4 on the right).

Then with playfield UP: Loose the ball means use Your finger so the Switch below the Outhole is closed - "lit Bonus-Ladder" will be counted down, then "unlit Bonus-Ladder" will be set to Zero, then the pin beats Your finger - he / it wants to kick the ball over to the Shooter-Alley - so take Your finger away.

(In the ONE-Player-Game) sometimes "loose" a ball when "left arrow" is lit - sometimes "loose" a ball when "right arrow" is lit --- question: BOTH ways work fine ?
My description is for "left arrow" - look in the pin - do You see these things happen ? With a finger You manipulate "looses ball" - Outhole-Switch is closed - "LEFT Bonus-Relay" pulls-in and stays pulling" - Score-Motor runs and the left Bonus-Ladder is counted down - when reaching Zero-Position: "left Bonus-Relay" lets go - OUTHOLE-Relay pulls-in --- then more stuff is done.

NOW start a 2-Player-Game, play Player-1-Ball-1, play Player-2-Ball-1, on Player-1-Ball-2 make some points, make "2 bonus on the left, 4 bonus on the right - means different settings" - have the "LEFT arrow" lit - manipulate with a finger "ball is lost" AND WATCH --- question: DOES the pin do the SAME as it did in a one-player-game ? "LEFT Bonus-Relay" pulls-in ... lets go - OUTHOLE-Relay pulls-in ?

You do have a running pin "ONE-Player-Game" - You can watch the "left-Bonus-Relay" and "Outhole-Relay" stuff - I want to learn "First difference" in behaviour doing the "sequence / succession" ONE-Player-Game versus TWO-Player-Game, end of Player-1-Ball-2.

Again: By now I do not have an explanation - by now I want to learn about "Left Bonus-Relay" and "Outhole-Relay" - and: Does a ONE-Player-Game FULLY works ? - loosing a ball "LEFT red arrow lit" versus "RIGHT red arrow lit" ?, greetings Rolf

#3 7 years ago

No it happens with one player game as well. I was just explaining that it happens after the first "ball #2" drains. Be it a 1,2,3 or 4 player game

#4 7 years ago

Hi Barry
the phenomena also happens in a 1-player-game. So please look at the mentioned stuff when (1-player-game) You let drain the first ball (LEFT arrow is lit) --- watch (as written in post-2) the "Left-Bonus-Relay" and "Outhole-Relay" stuff.

Then make again some bonus on both Bonus-Ladders, have again the LEFT arrow lit and then let the second ball drain (You have the playfield liftet - and watch the "Left-Bonus-Relay" and "Outhole-Relay" stuff). WHAT is different ?

Then do the same testing - this time with RIGHT arrow lit (when You let drain the balls), greetings Rolf

1 month later
#5 7 years ago

game stops after 1st player ball 2 (right arrow) completes the bonus countdown. the only steps left to complete are alternating to LEFT arrow and outhole throwing ball out.

outhole relay is the culprit i am focusing on now. its just a hunch. love some feedback.
-barry.

#6 7 years ago

So ball 1 plays correctly, ball drains, bonus scores, ball is kicked out and bonus switches to right side.

Ball 2 plays correctly, ball drains, bonus counts down, then nothing?

I don't have the schematic in front of me right now, but there's something going on with your right side bonus unit is my best guess here. There's a zero position switch there that will be involved in this sequence.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

So ball 1 plays correctly, ball drains, bonus scores, ball is kicked out and bonus switches to right side.
Ball 2 plays correctly, ball drains, bonus counts down, then nothing?
I don't have the schematic in front of me right now, but there's something going on with your right side bonus unit is my best guess here. There's a zero position switch there that will be involved in this sequence.

yeah exactly the prob. ill check it out thank you

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

prob solved!!

there was a disconnected wire associated with a switch on the back of the Right Bonus Step Relay.

so hard to see, but once i found it it was obvious. i soldered it and IT WORKS NOW!!

edit: i think suspect wire came undone from pulling playfield out and up to investigate "stuff". def gonna be more careful and treat all connections as fragile at this point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1976-grand-prix-ball-count and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.